Author Topic: I'm giving Kanye West one more chance!  (Read 6969 times)

Re: I'm giving Kanye West one more chance!
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2013, 11:45:47 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
College Dropout, Late Registration, Graduation were all Amazing to good. 808 & Heartbreak's was auto-tuned greatness. My Dark twisted fantasy was solid. Yeezus is trash I can barely listen to.

I think Watch the Throne also threw his career in a different direction

If you listen to the complexity of his lyrics in the first 3 albums, then on WTT, you'll swear its a different person

To be honest, MDTF was a really great album. The problem is the radio singles (Power, So Appalled, All of the Lights) are IMHO the best tracks on the entire album. When I get an album I expect the best tracks to be exclusive to the album and not on the airwaves, but MDTF's best stuff was already everywhere getting played out weeks in advance. So when I finally got the album it left me a bit unimpressed mainly because I was expecting more.

Watch the Throne was solid, but didn't have any real stand out tracks to me. It wasn't bad, but there's no real incentive for me to go back and listen.

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2013, 12:37:07 AM »

Offline celticdog

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 28
I love Kanye's production and I listen to everything he produces a few times.  Thing is I dont like his lyrics and messianic complex (his whole persona really) so I cant get with the lyrics. 

I'm glad he's doing his own thing and I really admire his fierce individuality.  It's the self-worship that makes me gag and put his work aside.

I'd really love to see West put out some instrumental albums sort of like DJ Shadow's Endtroducing but in his Ye style.  His production is so sick I think it would knock me down.

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2013, 11:29:28 AM »

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 198
So you want Kanye to make the same type of music for the rest of his career so he can fade into obscurity and become completely irrelevant? Artists challenge themselves and explore new lanes, thats what Outkast did so well and thats what Kanye does. You don't have to like everything he does but respect the fact the guy has the balls to explore new soundscapes.

I used to be a huge Jay-Z fan, but Jay had been making the same music for YEARS now. Black Album is probably the last good thing I've heard from him. Magna Carta isn't new and I listened to it and am bored as hell. That however is just me.

No no not saying any of that. I agree with you 100%
If you look at his first 3 albums, all of them were very unique from each other, none of them sounded the same. College Dropout was a backpack Tribe Called Quest style, Late Registration was alot of dark Soul and Blues, Graduation was more techno and supersonic
The only album after his first three that was at least ok was MDTF

I don't want him to sound the same but it feels like he put his  rapping on autopilot. Like he's not as focused

First 3 albums: Kanye saying "I'm going to be the greatest, all of you just watch, you'll see. No one has more hunger than me"

After the 3 albums: Kayne saying "Yeah you know I've done great things, do I really have to to try that hard and prove it again?"

I feel he became sort of lazy. His cockiness before was more artistic, and something to root for. Now it just seems like he has nothing to fight for anymore, so he's creating things in his head to fight for

I may be wrong, but I feel his hunger decreased, IMO