Author Topic: I'm giving Kanye West one more chance!  (Read 6971 times)

I'm giving Kanye West one more chance!
« on: July 16, 2013, 09:33:11 PM »

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 198
I don't know how many of you all have listened to the new Kanye West album "Yeezus", but it makes me confused on Kanye's motives on how we wants his career to play out

When he first came out he had such a promising career. College Dropout was one of the most creative LPs Hip Hop has seen in a while. The unique storylines, hilarious skits, awesome production. Followed up with an awesome 2nd album Late Registration. He had out of this world, ahead of his time production

Honestly from 2004-2007 Kanye was basically UNTOUCHABLE

College Dropout
Late Registration
Graduation.... All genius

Then... he took a dark weird turn

808 and a Heartbreak, idk what that was. It sounded like he was whining to his autotune machine.  The creativity of his lyrics after the Graduation album really plummeted. And that song "Amazing", the epitomy of rapping on autopilot

My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy was ehh ok, had a few good songs

Yeezus just felt like he was trying WAY TOO HARD to be artistic and abstract left. And tried too hard to be a revolutionary. No cohesive theme, just random statements about how different and famous he is

He has one more album... one more... before I would (dare I say it) have to stop being a Kanye fan. It just hurts how he came from a daring trendsetter rapper/prodcuer, into a confused autotune robot

Re: I'm giving Kanye West one more chance!
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 09:47:49 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
It is rare to see a hip hop artist explore his artistry as much as Kanye. You shouldn't be able to predict the career of great artists.

He reminds me of Radiohead. When they mastered the guitar rock album with OK Computer, they went in a very different direction and put out brilliant work.

Those 3 Kanye albums were not going to be outdone by more of the same. So he challenged himself to try new things. I haven't listened to the most recent one though.

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 10:20:18 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
College Dropout, Late Registration, Graduation were all Amazing to good. 808 & Heartbreak's was auto-tuned greatness. My Dark twisted fantasy was solid. Yeezus is trash I can barely listen to.

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 03:53:07 PM »

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 198
College Dropout, Late Registration, Graduation were all Amazing to good. 808 & Heartbreak's was auto-tuned greatness. My Dark twisted fantasy was solid. Yeezus is trash I can barely listen to.

I think Watch the Throne also threw his career in a different direction

If you listen to the complexity of his lyrics in the first 3 albums, then on WTT, you'll swear its a different person

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 03:56:12 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy is regarded as his best album by most critics.

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 04:00:31 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy is regarded as his best album by most critics.
Yeah I think it's not only his best album but probably a top 10 rap album all time IMO.

I'm a huge Kanye fan but I do not like his new album.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 04:23:35 PM »

Offline bleedGREENdon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 29
Yeezus is greatness.

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 04:27:17 PM »

Offline smsbda

• Maine Celtic
  • Tommy Points: 0
Yeezus is terrible, the original post was spot on. MBDTF is one of my favorite albums though.

J Cole and Jay-Z's albums were 100 times better.

I blame Kim K 

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 04:53:16 PM »

Offline AshyLarry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 177
  • Ashy To Classy, baby.
My beautiful dal twiste fantasy was ridiculous in the best way. He just wet crazy with it. Yeezus was him trying to play off of that mixed in with the fact that he's nuts and knows he can fecalate on a cd and people will buy it. It's decent music, but it's just a step in the wrong direction. Mbdtf was its own thing.

That being said, I'm glad a really good rapper/ producer is gettin really experimental with it.
My pic is now, and will be Fab Melo until he posts his first official NBA dbl-dbl. This may be permanent.

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 05:39:35 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
It's definitely interesting to see someone so obviously gifted in the pop music vernacular trying to break into more abstract music.

Not that Yeezus is anything close to properly avant-garde, but for Kanye it is.

I don't think the album necessarily plays to his strengths, though.

At least it wasn't Magna Carta.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 06:14:49 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
The album was ok, not as good as some of his prior records, but it's by no means garbage. On sight, Black Skin Head, New Slaves, and to a lesser extent Bound 2 are all solid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_Uf6zQBKLI

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2013, 06:55:13 PM »

Offline The Rondo Show

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 364
  • Hook 'Em

^^^
DKC Suns

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2013, 08:33:27 PM »

Offline Bosstown

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 32
So you want Kanye to make the same type of music for the rest of his career so he can fade into obscurity and become completely irrelevant? Artists challenge themselves and explore new lanes, thats what Outkast did so well and thats what Kanye does. You don't have to like everything he does but respect the fact the guy has the balls to explore new soundscapes.

I used to be a huge Jay-Z fan, but Jay had been making the same music for YEARS now. Black Album is probably the last good thing I've heard from him. Magna Carta isn't new and I listened to it and am bored as hell. That however is just me.

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2013, 08:59:32 PM »

Offline Juneauz

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 19
His last 2 albums are his best work by far, in my opinion.

Didn't like his first records, just average hip-hop/pop for the charts. Now he's evolving into something worth listening to.

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2013, 09:42:25 PM »

Offline connor

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
So you want Kanye to make the same type of music for the rest of his career so he can fade into obscurity and become completely irrelevant? Artists challenge themselves and explore new lanes, thats what Outkast did so well and thats what Kanye does. You don't have to like everything he does but respect the fact the guy has the balls to explore new soundscapes.

I used to be a huge Jay-Z fan, but Jay had been making the same music for YEARS now. Black Album is probably the last good thing I've heard from him. Magna Carta isn't new and I listened to it and am bored as hell. That however is just me.

See I think the thing is that I think you have to respect and appreciate the fact that he is willing to take risks and try to go off in a new direction, but at the same time you still have to call a bad album a bad album and thats what Yeezus is. He swung for the fences and should be commended for that, but he swung a missed.

I actually really liked Magna Carta, but I've come to terms with the fact that it's mostly just for nostalgia sake because it's the same old Jay-Z and not because it's actually a good album. I appreciate the fact that Kanye isn't following suit and is trying new things, but it's still a step in the wrong direction.