Author Topic: Celtics-Rockets (Idea) (edit)  (Read 5192 times)

Celtics-Rockets (Idea) (edit)
« on: July 16, 2013, 08:33:12 PM »

Offline Lioney

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 18
There are rumours which indicate that the Raptors would buyout Camby, besides they signed DJ Augustin, therefore they don’t need Crawford anymore. So Toronto is nomore available for trade. A trade between Celtics and Rockets is more possible now. In this case, I’d like to get Papanikolaou as well.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=m8wllkk

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=m2edctk

Celtics gets; Aşık, Ross, Novak
Rockets gets; Wallace, Camby, Brooks
Raptors gets; Bass, Crawford

Houston;
Lin/Beverly
Harden/Brooks
Chandler/Wallace
Wallace/Matiejunas
Howard/Camby
+
Jones, Smith, Garcia, Williams, Casspi

(Cap; $67M)

Toronto;
Lowry/Crawford
DeRozan/Crawford/Fields
Gay/Fields
Bass/Amir/Psycho T
Valaciunas/Bass/Gray
+
Buycks, O-Rich, Acy, (Stone?)

(Cap; $66,3M)

(Kleiza?-Raptors expected to use their amnesty clause on forward Linas Kleiza on last possible day Tuesday)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 12:07:53 PM by Lioney »

Re: Celtics-Rockets-Raptors (Idea)
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 08:51:25 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Now supposedly, you can't include a recently traded player in another deal with other players for like 2 months after the original trade.

Can someone either confirm or debunk this?

How long do you have to wait to include recently traded players with other players in a trade?

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 09:26:47 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
It's two months before you can aggregate a player's salary in a trade, but if you can split up the trade into smaller one-for-one trade, it can be done.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 12:35:30 AM »

Offline celticsfan8591

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
Whether it's allowed or not is irrelevant because everyone but the Celtics is getting absolutely pillaged.  I like both Asik and Ross as players but we're not going to get them for Brooks and a bunch of garbage

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 12:42:17 AM »

Offline JJones1090

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 12
I don't get why everyone is so high on Asik all the sudden...because he's available? How about we just wait this out til we can use our trade exception or have more space. I'd prefer us to work up Brooks' value this year. I think he can be an asset later.

I'd also prefer to give our youngins a bunch of minutes this year, go ahead and acquire a good draft pick, then we have good draft pick and more NBA ready youngins to either use up or trade off.

Work out a trade to land me my boy Rudy Gay for Bass and Crawford then I'm in haha.

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 12:50:19 AM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
whats with the obsession with asik? his upside vs his contract value isnt there... we need assets to sell, not role players for a contending team.

I feel like asik would be one of those contracts people would regret having in 1-2 years.

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 12:56:39 AM »

Offline JJones1090

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 12
whats with the obsession with asik? his upside vs his contract value isnt there... we need assets to sell, not role players for a contending team.

I feel like asik would be one of those contracts people would regret having in 1-2 years.

Precisely. People keep coming up with Asik trades...for like the last week and a half... I think they are just uncomfortable not trying to make moves while nothing is going on. I am fine with not doing anything for a while.

I understand being fidgety waiting for the season to roll around, but come on... I like where we are. I mean, I REALLY like where we are.

Edit: And btw, OP. I'm not ripping on you personally. I just don't get the Asik thing. I like listening to three-team trade ideas, though!

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 01:15:44 AM »

Offline EDWARDO

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 93
Are you kidding? Great defensive player. Best pick and roll big man in the league. Top five rebounder. Efficient offensive player who doesn't need any shots. 3rd in the league in rebounding. A PERFECT guy to play alongside a superstar as he does all the dirty work.

Absolutely elite defender and rebounder. In conversation for defensive player of the year. If you dont know why hes valuable, you honestly dont understand basketball. He's insanely good. A great piece for a contender. He's worth every cent of what he's paid.

Awful trade by the way. Everyone gets dreck and we get the only asset.  Completely unrealistic.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 01:23:10 AM by EDWARDO »

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 01:35:16 AM »

Offline syfy9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • We may as well put Tyrion in at center.
Are you kidding? Great defensive player. Best pick and roll big man in the league. Top five rebounder. Efficient offensive player who doesn't need any shots. 3rd in the league in rebounding. A PERFECT guy to play alongside a superstar as he does all the dirty work.

Absolutely elite defender and rebounder. In conversation for defensive player of the year. If you dont know why hes valuable, you honestly dont understand basketball. He's insanely good. A great piece for a contender. He's worth every cent of what he's paid.

Awful trade by the way. Everyone gets dreck and we get the only asset.  Completely unrealistic.

TP. McHale has done wonders for him. He's more skilled than Howard in the post at this point (It won't be the case after this season, though). He's also a pretty good free throw shooter for a center- he punishes those who do Hack-A-Sik.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvwKp-RhHKo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tM9Wolk05Vw
I like Marcus Smart

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 01:37:57 AM »

Offline EDWARDO

• Jaylen Brown
http://hoopshabit.com/houston-rockets-is-omer-asik-still-a-quality-defender/

The Houston Rockets are a franchise on the rise. After smartly acquiring both Omer Asik and Jeremy Lin via free agency, hopes were raised in Houston. This was before the Rockets landed a star by trading for James Harden. If anything, the trade for Harden meant the aforementioned signings were perhaps forgotten.

This all changed as soon as the Rockets suited up and took to the court. A backup in Chicago, Asik found himself in the starting five and has since grabbed the opportunity with both of his large hands.

During his time in Chicago, Asik was known for providing solid minutes of good defense, great energy and toughness. During his last season in Chitown, Asik was only on the floor for 14.7 minutes per game — yet still managed to average 5.3 rebounds and a block a game. His great defensive prowess allowed Tom Thibodeau to rest All-Star center Joakim Noah and not lose a lot on the defensive end of the floor. In fact, his defensive rating per 100 possessions in Chicago during the 2011-12 season was better than Noah’s, with Asik allowing an estimated 92 points per 100 possessions in comparison to Noah, who  allowed 96 points per 100.

So, has he managed to be the same defensive force he was in Chicago–with the additional minutes and added pressure of being a starter?

Simply put, Asik is the most important defender on the Rockets roster. When Asik is on the floor, Houston allows just 105 points per 100 possessions compared to when he isn’t on the floor, where Houston allows 112.7.

Omer Asik is brilliant when defending the pick-and-roll, he can guard a perimeter player for a few seconds before quickly switching back to the roll man like few can in the NBA. Perhaps Asik could block more shots–he has only blocked 1.1 per game–but instead of attempting to, he simply jumps straight in the air to keep himself out of foul trouble. This is understandable as he is just so vital to this Rockets team.

To conclude, the three-year deal to sign Asik looks to be a fantastic one. He is the force in the paint that any team needs if they are to build a contender. To answer the initial question: Yes, Asik is not only a quality defender, he is one of the best defensive players in the NBA and I wouldn’t be surprised to see him make some people’s NBA All-Defensive teams.

There are two ends on an NBA court and Asik is no mug offensively. Yes, he looks uncomfortable shooting any kind of shot that isn’t from within the restricted area, but he is a tough screen-setter and rolls hard to the basket. He shoots 57 percent when acting as the roll man off the pick-and-roll and 70 percent  in transition. The man is a hard worker and these numbers could continue further as he rounds out his complete game.

What a pickup by Houston; Chicago must be kicking itself.

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 01:41:01 AM »

Offline EDWARDO

• Jaylen Brown
So, THAT'S what people see in him. What don't you get here? Better perhaps for the Asik doubters to explain why they don't think he would be an asset for a contender?

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2013, 03:08:27 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

If we assume Olynyk is more of a power forward than a center and you project Iverson and Faverani as backups at best, then the Celtics don't really have a young center prospect.

I don't think the Celtics should give up first-round picks to get someone like Asik, but locking down the center spot with a capable veteran defender will probably be helpful to the defensive development of Sullinger and Olynyk.

Maybe you could get the same effect by bringing back a cheaper option like Jason Collins.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2013, 03:15:38 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I'd love to get Asik in green.  He'd be a perfect fit. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2013, 03:20:24 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

Well, I'm not sure his 52.7% career free throw percentage (as in worse than Kendrick Perkins) is the perfect fit for a lineup that includes Rondo....

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2013, 03:32:23 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367

Well, I'm not sure his 52.7% career free throw percentage (as in worse than Kendrick Perkins) is the perfect fit for a lineup that includes Rondo....

Next to Sullinger and Olynyk, a true 7 footer who can anchor the defense is a perfect fit.