Author Topic: What might other teams want in a trade with Boston?  (Read 3239 times)

What might other teams want in a trade with Boston?
« on: July 25, 2013, 12:30:23 AM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
There is a lot of talk about who the Celtics should trade away; Melo, Brooks, Crawford, etc.  How about the other team’s point of view?  Why would a GM want to make a trade with Boston?  They know Danny has to release 3 players. Two of which are signed already.  They can wait it out.  There isn't a pressing need in the league for most of the players we frequently talk about.

So, what are other teams asking for that Danny might be willing to give up?  Here are a few options.

1.  They would want a serviceable player.  My number one guess would be Brandon Bass.  He is fairly good at everything, not great at anything. Yet, would fit a need on almost any team.
(Remember, I talking about assets that Danny might be willing to give up.)

2. They might want Danny to take on an unhealthy contract in exchange for couple our bench players.

3.  A team might want part or all of the Celtics $10-11(?) million trade exception. I don’t know if it’s a tradable asset?  Maybe I’m reaching on this third possibility.  I’m not sure Danny would be willing to give up something so potentially valuable.

4.  Draft picks… Dan has stockpiled a number of them.  You can guess that they come up in almost every trade discussion.

In any case Danny has to make a decision that many of us (or the owners)may not like, but may help the team in the future. Another possibility is Danny may not make a trade at all and simply cut players at the end of training camp. This would force the C's in the Tax penalty.   

Re: What might other teams want in a trade with Boston?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 12:31:28 AM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
why trade if we arent contending? noones going to give us their young studs for our garbage.

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 01:13:27 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Trade exception.
Draft picks.
Young talent if they want to move a disgruntled veteran.
We could send out Bass to a contender for a first round draft pick but we'd have to take back salary.

So example trade with Detroit:
Bass+Lee for
1st round pick,
Villeneuva,
Kyle Singler. 

Or to get a win now player with Portland.
We send Wallace with Avery Bradley, Kelly Olynyk and 2 first round picks (2015 and 2016) to Portland for Aldridge.

Might just be enough if he's demanding to be moved.
Dunno if you can add a trade exception to this deal or replace a part with the TE.

They all want Bradley, Rondo, Sully or Green.
We aren't giving them up without getting back a seriously good big man. And we probably keep Sully and Green if Rondo hangs around.

"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 02:24:45 AM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
There is no such thing as a fair trade; GMs want to get ahead somewhat from their fellow GMs in a trade scenario;

GMs would want the following from us for us to deal with them:

1. RONDO (No I'm not giving Rondo up); Detroit kept on denying they wanted Rajon but the rumor keeps coming up;

2. Our 2014 picks (Nope I'm not giving any of them up, well except for a superstar calibre player);

3. To a lesser extent Jeff Green, and KO;

What they see is that the Celtics are vulnerable as of the moment and may flinch and give up assets;

Teams do not want our garbage (hey im looking at you Melo) or scrubs (hello Crawford, Lee);

The other tangible assets we do have will not interest (well except when Danny pulls off a major lobsided trade in our favor) other teams:

Humphries expiring contract, Sully (I also do not want to part with the kid), Bradley (I'm kinda worried if all he does is D with no O), GWallace (Yes he still is an asset in a suitable environment - say during his Trailblazer days);

If package of a 2015 first round draft pick plus humphries expiring, crawford, and bass would net us Lamarcus Aldridge - I say go; But again this would be a pipe dream at best;
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 08:58:40 AM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I think Danny is definitely gathering assets to go after a big fish if one becomes available via trade. So I think the first thing you'd have to do is look guys who are actual assets, not just guys we want to unload.

Assets:
Rondo
Avery
Sully (mostly because he's still on a cheap contract for the next few years)
Olynyk
Humphries ($12m expiring that can be used to make salary work, but enables the other team financial flexibility beyond this season)
Bass (reasonable contract, can be useful to a contender looking for a pick & pop big)
Bogans (contract not guaranteed beyond this season, so essentially a $5.1m expiring)

Burdens:
Wallace (could he still regain some of his old form?  Sure, but the length of his deal coupled with his age should make him a nonstarter for most teams)

Guys who could be assets, but still have to prove it:
Green (has to show the end of last season wasn't a fluke)
Lee
Melo
Brooks
Crawford

Filler:
Pressey
Colton
Fav
Randolph

I think most GMs would want pieces from that first category
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 09:40:53 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I think Danny is definitely gathering assets to go after a big fish if one becomes available via trade. So I think the first thing you'd have to do is look guys who are actual assets, not just guys we want to unload.

Assets:
Rondo
Avery
Olynyk
Humphries ($12m expiring that can be used to make salary work, but enables the other team financial flexibility beyond this season)
Bass (reasonable contract, can be useful to a contender looking for a pick & pop big)
Bogans (contract not guaranteed beyond this season, so essentially a $5.1m expiring)

Burdens:
Wallace (could he still regain some of his old form?  Sure, but the length of his deal coupled with his age should make him a nonstarter for most teams)

Lee
Melo
Brooks
Crawford

Filler:
Pressey
Colton
Fav
Randolph

I would say that Green is most certainly an asset.  He showed enough that season that he would have very good value right now.  But probably not enough value for Danny to give up on him yet.

Lee also is an asset as much, or more than Bass is.  They are both in the same category of veteran role players still early in their primes, signed for a few years.  And while Bass' deal is shorter, Lee's annual value is a bit more of a bargain, and also Lee brings a skillset that is actually harder to find these days than what Bass brings.  Undersized PFs are not that rare.  SGs with solid size, who can defend, shoot, and handle the ball a bit, are much more scarce then they used to be.

I also think Melo and Crawford are pretty close to burdens at this point. 

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2013, 10:55:59 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I think we definitely have some pieces that teams would be interested in.  But DA has to keep thinking rebuild.  No need to bring in just a decent player that isn't s difference maker right now.  Would rather play things out, continue to acquire picks, while trying to clear cap space moving forward.

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2013, 11:08:59 AM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Assets:
Rondo
Avery
Olynyk

Burdens:

Lee
Melo
Brooks
Crawford

Filler:
Pressey
Colton
Fav
Randolph

I would say that Green is most certainly an asset.  He showed enough that season that he would have very good value right now.  But probably not enough value for Danny to give up on him yet.

Lee also is an asset as much, or more than Bass is.  They are both in the same category of veteran role players still early in their primes, signed for a few years.  And while Bass' deal is shorter, Lee's annual value is a bit more of a bargain, and also Lee brings a skillset that is actually harder to find these days than what Bass brings.  Undersized PFs are not that rare.  SGs with solid size, who can defend, shoot, and handle the ball a bit, are much more scarce then they used to be.

I disagree with Green - because I think he still has a ways to go before he sheds his inconsistent image. We know he has the talent,but can he sustain it?

And I almost listed Crawford as a burden as well because he's a bit of a headcase, but there seems to be an ongoing market for low cost irrational confidence guys that can score off the bench.

With Fab, he's a raw 7 footer and only has one guaranteed year left on his rookie deal.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2013, 11:49:19 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Assets:
Rondo
Avery
Olynyk

Burdens:

Lee
Melo
Brooks
Crawford

Filler:
Pressey
Colton
Fav
Randolph

I disagree with Green - because I think he still has a ways to go before he sheds his inconsistent image. We know he has the talent,but can he sustain it?

And I almost listed Crawford as a burden as well because he's a bit of a headcase, but there seems to be an ongoing market for low cost irrational confidence guys that can score off the bench.

With Fab, he's a raw 7 footer and only has one guaranteed year left on his rookie deal.

Even as an inconsistent player, Green showed he is (at least) back to his OKC form.  And that player is a very solid player at $9 million per year.  And he still has enough potential, that a team would pay a bit of a premium to hope he makes the leap for them.

I am not sure I see the market you are talking about for Crawford.  But, as an expiring contract, he will always be tradable.

As for Melo, he has looked like a complete lost cause.  No one is going to give up any value for him, and I doubt anyone would even want to take on the salary of him, unless there was some other reason (meaning, it was part of a bigger deal). 

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2013, 12:50:11 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
A few teams would probably take a 7' center if they could get one for nothing or nearly so, if only for a 3rd string practice body.

Or to put against Howard, Duncan, Gasol, & Gasol in the west.

Dallas for a useless 2nd round pick to get us under the tax?

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2013, 01:10:14 PM »

Offline MichaelJ

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 3
Green, Humphries, and a #1 is the foundation of a solid trade offer.