Author Topic: List of plausible destinations for G. Wallace  (Read 9274 times)

Re: List of plausible destinations for G. Wallace
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2013, 08:13:14 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
contract might be a mistake (not by us mind u)

jeff green and gerald wallace, i can't think of a better rotation at small forward
anyone?

Lebron James and anyone else in the entire NBA no matter how much of a scrub they are?

Pierce and Kirilenko.

Durant and Thabo Sefolosha

Paul and Granger

Deng and Butler

Carmelo and World Peace
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 08:23:30 AM by nickagneta »

« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2013, 08:21:07 AM »

Offline EDWARDO

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 93
contract might be a mistake (not by us mind u)
i can't think of a better rotation at small forward
anyone?

at least half the league... wallace was awful last year and plays about 25% of the games the last few years... i mean, beyond terrible...

at this point in the season he is more valuable to us, let him and humphries/bass play some and see if we can get their value up
can't dump wallace just because he signed a bad contract (for mgt not him)

he has NEGATIVE value to us.. we are paying a guy 10mm for play that is worth 3mm ... and that's being far too generous...

say you bought a house for 300k and it immediately lost value ... its value is now 100k... there are dozens of houses all around the same neighborhood selling for 100k... someone says they will buy your house for 300k, you would say no? you wouldn't dump the house?

Gerald Wallace is a 3mm house that we are paying 10mm for... if you can dump it, you do it right away and buy a proper 10mm house!!!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 08:58:22 AM by EDWARDO »

« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2013, 08:56:54 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
think boston is stuck with wallace for the time being...unfortunately....guy looks cooked

« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2013, 09:08:22 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
The Bobcats. Wallace has a history with them (is he the best player in their history?), and they just opened up a 3 year window with the Jefferson signing. At this point Jordan needs the get that team in the playoffs

Wallace for Ben Gordon?

Biyombo
Jefferson
Wallace
MGK
Walker

« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2013, 09:52:45 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
I guess the Knicks might in the previously mentioned Amare trade but I doubt the Cs touch that.

I posted earlier that maybe the Bucks would be interested.
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=km84zcs
 They have since signed Mayo,Delfino and Pachulia and traded for Ridnour. They are not a team looking to tank and might be willing to deal with Wallaces contract. Udoh is super redundant on there roster and is likely getting squeezed out of minutes with year. Gooden is a terrible contract and barely even play last season for them.

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2013, 09:54:29 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
The only "plausible" way Wallace gets traded is if Danny convinces some team to take him on in a massive Rondo trade that nets us picks, expirings, and a decent prospect or two.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2013, 10:01:57 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
The only "plausible" way Wallace gets traded is if Danny convinces some team to take him on in a massive Rondo trade that nets us picks, expirings, and a decent prospect or two.

This is probably the case right now.

At the deadline though, I think it could be different.  He had a terrible year last year (as did a lot of the Nyets), but if he comes back this year and returns to the form of 2 years ago...which is very possible, particularly if the C's play at a faster pace than the Nyets did...then he could be seen as a relatively valuable asset at the trade deadline, that could not only net an expiring contract, but perhaps even an asset or two.

« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2013, 10:37:13 AM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
The Bobcats. Wallace has a history with them (is he the best player in their history?), and they just opened up a 3 year window with the Jefferson signing. At this point Jordan needs the get that team in the playoffs

Wallace for Ben Gordon?

Biyombo
Jefferson
Wallace
MGK
Walker

Gordon has one year left on his deal, Wallace has 3.  We want the shorter term deal for sure.  To entice them to take it, you would have to at least give up a future first round pick right?

« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2013, 11:11:41 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
say you bought a house for 300k and it immediately lost value ... its value is now 100k... there are dozens of houses all around the same neighborhood selling for 100k... someone says they will buy your house for 300k, you would say no? you wouldn't dump the house?

If your best offer was 100k and you thought that a year from now your best offer will be 150k, but there is a chance you might only get 75k, do you sell now or wait?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2013, 11:15:26 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

At the deadline though, I think it could be different.  He had a terrible year last year (as did a lot of the Nyets), but if he comes back this year and returns to the form of 2 years ago...which is very possible, particularly if the C's play at a faster pace than the Nyets did...then he could be seen as a relatively valuable asset at the trade deadline, that could not only net an expiring contract, but perhaps even an asset or two.

I'd agree with you if he only had two year left on his deal including this one.  But he has two more seasons of getting paid $10 million+ after this one.  He'd have to perform at an All-Star level this season for somebody to actually give up assets for that.

A guy who makes that much money has to be a core piece, or an expiring contract.  Otherwise he's serious dead weight on the cap.  I share your optimism that Wallace can still be a useful player, but I think he's realistically worth only about half of what he's going to be making over the next few years.

Even playing at 100% of what we hope he can do, is Gerald Wallace a more useful player than Matt Barnes?  Now take a look at the "big deal" that Matt Barnes just got this off-season.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2013, 03:47:06 PM »

Offline Rondohara

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 15
We will possibly only be able to trade him in 2015 (or late 2014 at best). Would be "good" if we traded him before the trade deadline in the begining of 2015 for an expiring, so to have more cap space for 2015 free agency. The sooner we trade him in a deal that makes sense, the better. I don't think that deal will appear this season.
Goal for next season: Top 2 seed.
Say goodbye to: Turner, Zeller, Sully.

« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2013, 03:54:27 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
If, in the summer of 2014 (or even the 2014 trade deadline), a rebuilding team had a max contract guy that they would be willing to trade for Bass, Bogans, Sullinger, Brooks, and picks, I could see them being willing to take Wallace instead of Bass as trade ballast if the Celtics threw in another pick.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2013, 04:39:39 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454

I'd agree with you if he only had two year left on his deal including this one.  But he has two more seasons of getting paid $10 million+ after this one.  He'd have to perform at an All-Star level this season for somebody to actually give up assets for that.

A guy who makes that much money has to be a core piece, or an expiring contract.  Otherwise he's serious dead weight on the cap.  I share your optimism that Wallace can still be a useful player, but I think he's realistically worth only about half of what he's going to be making over the next few years.

Even playing at 100% of what we hope he can do, is Gerald Wallace a more useful player than Matt Barnes?  Now take a look at the "big deal" that Matt Barnes just got this off-season.

Well, Bargnani got traded with 2 years 20+ mil and netted picks.

Remember too that we were able to use Wally's 2 years $26 mil as salary ballast in the deal that netted Ray Allen.

And yes, Gerald Wallace at 100% of his capabilities is a lot more useful than Matt Barnes.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2013, 04:50:11 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Iran

« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2013, 04:54:46 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

OK, you may be right about giving up assets (although all it takes is one desperate GM...too bad Billy King doesn't have any assets left), but I think an expiring contract is possible.

And yes, the Gerald Wallace of 2 years ago was a MUCH better player than Matt Barnes has ever been.  Wallace is an elite defender who can cover just about any SF in the league, as well as most PFs and SGs, while Barnes is really just an average defender, who only matches up well against power 3's.  And offensively, while Barnes is a better 3-point shooter, Wallace does just about everything else better.

Basically, Wallace is a SF/PF version of Tony Allen, but slightly less braindead.  And that is a valuable player to a contender, if he returns to form.