Author Topic: List of plausible destinations for G. Wallace  (Read 9270 times)

Re: List of plausible destinations for G. Wallace
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2013, 03:16:50 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The Knicks.  Wallace and Humphries for Amare.

C's get out of Wallace's contract a year earlier, but also take on extra money next year.  But they get a very interesting pick and roll partner to play with Rondo, and perhaps keep the fans excited (and also someone they can pretty easily "shut down" if they decide to tank).  Its kind of just shuffling the deck, but it also gives them a lot of potential cap space for 2015.

And for the Knicks, they are basically in salary cap hell anyways for another couple years.  But this gives them a better chance to win now, while they have Melo and Chandler.  Humphries gives them decent depth, or gives them an asset to swing at the trade deadline, and Wallace is actually a GREAT fit next to Melo, because he can defend the 3 or the 4, and doesn't need the ball on offense.
If we sent more salary out so that we don't take on salary I think you might have something. I just don't see the C's adding any salary this year or even chance coming close to the luxury line.

That said, if Metta World Peace goes to NY, they really won't need someone like Gerald Wallace.

Huh?  The C's would be taking back less salary then they would be sending out, I believe.  But sure, you could probably find a way to add in Lee or Bass as well.

And you are correct, if they sign Artest, then this probably doesn't work.
I'm sorry but you said that "C's get out of Wallace's contract a year earlier, but also take on extra money next year.". I never checked the salary because you are usually right on about those things so I assumed you meant the Celtics would be taking on more salary in 2013-14, which I don't think they want to do after getting under the luxury line in the KG/Pierce deal.

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2013, 08:56:49 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
You think Stern will give us an exception to have a team with 20 players on it?  We need to give up three players for 1, not take on a 3 for 1.

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2013, 09:11:01 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think we are stuck with Wallace until he is an expiring contract.   I think we will passive tank with a young team this year.  The vets will start but the kids will play a lot. We might be able to off load him on playoff bound team that needs some pop providing his numbers return.  If they don't we are stuck with him for two years and tank this year.  Hopefully, we get a good pick in the draft. Play the pick next year and more of the kids and then dump him as an expiring contract.

Humph could be in the same boat come playoffs.  Dumped for young assets for a team that needs some big depth.  I think he is the more movable of the two.   

Someone will need help and we will offer one of these two plus the trade exception to help them get over the top for young assets.

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2013, 09:27:34 PM »

Offline Tnerb02

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 18
No one in the NBA wants Gerald Wallace's contract. The only way we are going to trade him is if we add value like young players or draft picks for another team to take his contract, or we trade him for other guys with bad contracts.

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2013, 09:45:03 PM »

Offline celticbos

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 5
Wallace's contract comes up just as we need to resign Sully, so maybe it isn't too bad. Terry's contract does also.

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2013, 10:28:53 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
Sorry, but the couple of times I saw him live against the C's he was the best player on the floor. Of course this was 3-5 years ago; but the guy can play. If Danny wants him in the locker room I have no problem keeping him around the younger players. Jeff Green may just need a Vet to take him under his wing. KG and PP kind of ignored him and after being so tight with Durant must have been hard to come here and go through what he did.

I personally want to see Green and Wallace on the floor together - would be blast. Hell put Olynyk at center to spread the floor and see what happens - can't wait.

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2013, 02:34:16 AM »

Offline webby

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 0
best destination?  return to  Charlotte

« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2013, 02:44:19 AM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
Sorry, but the couple of times I saw him live against the C's he was the best player on the floor. Of course this was 3-5 years ago; but the guy can play. If Danny wants him in the locker room I have no problem keeping him around the younger players. Jeff Green may just need a Vet to take him under his wing. KG and PP kind of ignored him and after being so tight with Durant must have been hard to come here and go through what he did.

I personally want to see Green and Wallace on the floor together - would be blast. Hell put Olynyk at center to spread the floor and see what happens - can't wait.

Wait, you think KG and Pierce ignored Green?  Were you around the team?  What are you talking about?

On the court, they did no such thing.  Pierce in particular made a concerted effort to get Green the ball early in transition so he could attack the basket.

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2013, 04:33:37 AM »

Offline EDWARDO

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 93
This thread I meaningless. You are talking about Wallace the player--- or rather, the player he USED to be and the player you seem to think he still is.

His situation, his destiny, is now 95% about his contract. Thinking a contender wants him to be a 6th man is beyond dreaming. He's either "completely done" or "a 3mm player on a 10mm salary".

He is a negative asset for the remainder of this deal and probably for the rest of his career. Don't pretend he's an asset.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 04:47:14 AM by EDWARDO »

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2013, 04:53:03 AM »

Offline EDWARDO

• Jaylen Brown
Sorry, but the couple of times I saw him live against the C's he was the best player on the floor. Of course this was 3-5 years ago; but the guy can play.

Exhibit A

« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2013, 05:08:01 AM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
This thread I meaningless. You are talking about Wallace the player--- or rather, the player he USED to be and the player you seem to think he still is.

His situation, his destiny, is now 95% about his contract. Thinking a contender wants him to be a 6th man is beyond dreaming. He's either "completely done" or "a 3mm player on a 10mm salary".

He is a negative asset for the remainder of this deal and probably for the rest of his career. Don't pretend he's an asset.

I'm with you about him being untradeable.  I think 99 percent of people agree there because it's so obvious.  No team is trading for 3/30 million with the season he had.

I don't think he's going to be a negative asset though.  The role and system he was in New Jersey was just a horrible fit for him.  They played at a very slow pace (28th slowest) in a half court system in which he was often the fourth or fifth option getting spot up shooting opportunities which he wasn't good at or declined.  He went whole games rarely getting shots (in the post, in transition, off the dribble against bigs) that have been his game.  The bad games then snowballed later in the season.

Physically, he's not too far off his prime.  I think he's capable of at least putting up a league average PER which might make him third or fourth on the Celtics next season.

« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2013, 06:32:49 AM »

Offline EDWARDO

• Jaylen Brown

I'm with you about him being untradeable.  I think 99 percent of people agree there because it's so obvious.  No team is trading for 3/30 million with the season he had.

I don't think he's going to be a negative asset though. 

I mean this in a purely financial sense. He can help the team, but not "10mm/year help the team".  It's like a house. You pay 300k for the house, but the market crashes and it's only worth 200k. The house is still the house-- doesn't change the structure itself, but that is negative to your net worth.

What I'm saying is, we are WAY under water on our Gerald Wallace with ZERO hope of recouping the investment.

« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2013, 06:48:19 AM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
china

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2013, 08:05:54 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
contract might be a mistake (not by us mind u)
but gerald wallace as your teams BACKUP small forward give us quite a 1 - 2 punch
jeff green and gerald wallace, i can't think of a better rotation at small forward
anyone?

at this point in the season he is more valuable to us, let him and humphries/bass play some and see if we can get their value up
can't dump wallace just because he signed a bad contract (for mgt not him)

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2013, 08:09:57 AM »

Offline Kuberski1

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
Somehow SA and now GSW were able to move RJeff's contract, which was a bad one.  There's hope....but it won't be easy.  But Danny and co no doubt aware....I think he'll play better this year, hopefully by a lot, and with any luck we can move him at end of the year, if not the deadline.