Author Topic: List of plausible destinations for Humphries  (Read 6245 times)

List of plausible destinations for Humphries
« on: July 15, 2013, 10:40:16 AM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
(1). Minnesota: UNDER THE CAP; third big off the bench behind Pekovic and Love; Humphries is from Minnesota; Rubio could "make him better." (2nd round pick?)

(2). Cleveland: UNDER THE CAP; third big off the bench behind Varejao and Tristan Thompson; if Bynum is a bust, could challenge for serious minutes; Irving is a great PG, who could "make him better" (2nd round pick?)

(3). New Orleans: UNDER THE CAP; frighteningly thin up front; desperately need a third big man; lots of shooters on that team - and he doesn't need the ball. (2nd rounder?)

(4). Dallas: ...sorry - who on that team is going to rebound the ball? They desperately need a big man - and Humphries is a big man!

What do YOU think?

Re: List of plausible destinations for Humphries
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 10:42:11 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
(1). Minnesota: UNDER THE CAP; third big off the bench behind Pekovic and Love; Humphries is from Minnesota; Rubio could "make him better." (2nd round pick?)

(2). Cleveland: UNDER THE CAP; third big off the bench behind Varejao and Tristan Thompson; if Bynum is a bust, could challenge for serious minutes; Irving is a great PG, who could "make him better" (2nd round pick?)

(3). New Orleans: UNDER THE CAP; frighteningly thin up front; desperately need a third big man; lots of shooters on that team - and he doesn't need the ball. (2nd rounder?)

(4). Dallas: ...sorry - who on that team is going to rebound the ball? They desperately need a big man - and Humphries is a big man!

What do YOU think?
If the best we can do right now is flip him for a second rounder, I'd rather keep him at least until the deadline.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 10:43:59 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
How about Bass to one of these teams as well?

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 10:55:29 AM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
It doesn't seem like there is a real rush to trade Hump. He has value as a player and is an expiring contract.

I agree that the teams you list have needs and could become interested in a trade.

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 10:55:52 AM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton

What do YOU think?
If the best we can do right now is flip him for a second rounder, I'd rather keep him at least until the deadline.

...but we don't need his services, Rondo hates him, and he is not worthy of a first round pick. Helping any of those teams get better helps our goals of not being that good. ...so why wouldn't we want to trade him to one of them now?

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 10:59:45 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

What do YOU think?

...but we don't need his services, Rondo hates him, and he is not worthy of a first round pick. Helping any of those teams get better helps our goals of not being that good. ...so why wouldn't we want to trade him to one of them now?
Rondo hates him? Why, because they got in a scuffle? Gee, how does Garnett ever play with guys he's played against...

And the chief reason why you wouldn't trade him now is because you can get more later. And if you don't, your forgone benefit is next to nothing.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 11:03:12 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

What do YOU think?

i dont wish to speak for others, but i believe the point of waiting until the deadline is that it may get the celtics more in trade. by then, it may be clear whether a team may be on the cusp of making a playoff run, or a good team may have had an injury.

in those cases, they may be more likely to over pay for humphries. the strategy here would be to hold on to the assets until the best possible return appears. of course, the hard part is to know just when that moment appears.  :)

I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2013, 11:05:42 AM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton

What do YOU think?

Rondo hates him? Why, because they got in a scuffle? Gee, how does Garnett ever play with guys he's played against...

And the chief reason why you wouldn't trade him now is because you can get more later. And if you don't, your forgone benefit is next to nothing.

I'm not sure I agree with "next to nothing" as a foregone benefit: that's more playing time for Sullinger/Olynyk, and means there is no need to renounce the rights to Colt Iverson, who I think could be productive. We would need to play him to increase his value beyond what it is now. ...I don't want to do that.

Let me ask you - what more do you think he could net later, as an asset? Doesn't like beget like? And how would that asset help us? Isn't the goal, ostensibly, to build through the draft, get some cap space, and then remake the franchise into a contender? What asset does he get us that accomplishes that goal? Serious question - not rhetorical snark.

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2013, 11:11:06 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
I'm not sure I agree with "next to nothing" as a foregone benefit: that's more playing time for Sullinger/Olynyk, and means there is no need to renounce the rights to Colt Iverson, who I think could be productive. We would need to play him to increase his value beyond what it is now. ...I don't want to do that.

Let me ask you - what more do you think he could net later, as an asset? Doesn't like beget like? And how would that asset help us? Isn't the goal, ostensibly, to build through the draft, get some cap space, and then remake the franchise into a contender? What asset does he get us that accomplishes that goal? Serious question - not rhetorical snark.
You're not obliged to play Humphries, and I don't think force-feeding Sullinger and Olynyk time with little or no ability to keep them accountable is a good thing. Humphries' value is strictly as a large, expiring deal. He's not going to be worth much as a one-year rental even if he plays well.

The goal is to rebuild through whatever way is possible. But trading Humphries right away doesn't get us any closer to this goal, as he expires in the end of the season regardless (and we're not signing anyone right away even if we had cap spaces).

What keeping him does give us, though is the added possibility that if a disgruntled start becomes available in a trade at the deadline, and you can flip Humphries and some assets for him. I won't really care about cap space in such a scenario (not to mention that a number of marquee players have recently scoffed at playing in Boston -- and that's with Doc making the pitch). Also, the beautiful part about holding Brooklyn's picks is that we don't have to commit to being horrible for years and years to anticipate getting good value in the draft.

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2013, 11:24:29 AM »

Offline oldutican

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 12
Hate to admit it, I guess keeping him into the season makes sense if you can't get usable value (2nd rder is not really usable value) now.

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2013, 11:37:12 AM »

Offline Pucaccia

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 65
Humphries is more valuable as a mid season trade to a team that isn't going anywhere and desperately needs to go under the cap. Someone like the Celtics were last years. Packaging some of the C's picks with Humphies and another chip could get us something of greater value.

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2013, 11:38:53 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
If a 2nd rounder is the best you can get for him right now then hold onto him.

Use him in a package with other assets at the trade deadline instead.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2013, 11:41:06 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
I hate him

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2013, 11:42:05 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
The only reason I wouldn't want Humphries with the Celtics is because I really detest the Kardashian drama.

Speaking from a purely basketball perspective, my desire to trade Humphries is not that high. In fact, I'm glad to have a player like him in our roster.

From a basketball perspective the most redundant and out of place player we currently have is Bass. He's the one that should be moved ASAP. Not only it'll give us better cap flexibility, but it'll improve our roster chemistry and rotation.

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2013, 11:44:57 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Can someone explain all the hate for Humphries. Sure he's overpaid but he's an expiring contract, so it isn't that big of a deal. If he starts producing consistent double doubles maybe we can get him for something at the trade deadline, he is a solid asset and I'm glad we got him in the trade.

For anyone who doesn't like him because he was mean to one of the most annoying women on the planet then your opinion should be posted on a reality tv forum not a basketball one.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19