Author Topic: Any chance Dallas gives us it's 2014 first for Humph?  (Read 7525 times)

Re: Any chance Dallas gives us it's 2014 first for Humph?
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2013, 01:36:02 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
We're not getting a #1 for Humphries, unless we take back a really bad contract in return.

Most likely.

Maybe if he plays like a double double machine a contender at the deadline might be more inclined, but not likely.

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2013, 02:47:35 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548
Moranis...why would Dallas do that?
Oklahoma City, not Dallas, and to get out of Perk's contract.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2013, 02:57:56 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
How about a second round pick? Does Dallas do that?

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2013, 03:03:39 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704

if they wanted out of Perks contract, they would have amnestied him. They need to hold on to Perk now that Dwight Howard and the Harden lead Rockets are their main competitors for the forseeable future.

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2013, 03:53:02 PM »

Offline The_Pistol

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 1
guys i'm from Greece and Pap is NOT that good!
he's soft at defence plus his shootin' is average for NBA standards.
maybe he has the potential to become something of a poor mans Manu. just take into consideration that Rudy(who's a better player than Pap) left NBA, cause he couldn't cope up with NBA's rythm etc.
my thoughts though

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2013, 03:58:04 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548

if they wanted out of Perks contract, they would have amnestied him. They need to hold on to Perk now that Dwight Howard and the Harden lead Rockets are their main competitors for the forseeable future.
If you amnesty you have to pay him.  If they get Humphries they get out of the contract faster and get a fairly useful player.  I included Melo as well so they get a project center.  They give up their pick (late 20's) and Dallas' pick which is protected enough that it will likely be a pick in the 20's at some point. 

Now granted I'm not sure they dollars can work as OKC has not much else they could realistically include (maybe Thabeet), so it may not be that feasible, but I think that is something OKC would at least look at.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2013, 04:00:10 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704

If you amnesty you have to pay him.  If they get Humphries they get out of the contract faster and get a fairly useful player.  I included Melo as well so they get a project center.  They give up their pick (late 20's) and Dallas' pick which is protected enough that it will likely be a pick in the 20's at some point. 

Now granted I'm not sure they dollars can work as OKC has not much else they could realistically include (maybe Thabeet), so it may not be that feasible, but I think that is something OKC would at least look at.

OKC needs a center that can defend Dwight. That was the whole point of the Perk trade to begin with. It is even more important now. Unless you give them such a center in return, I don't see why they would trade Perk for a PF when they already have Ibaka.

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2013, 04:25:08 PM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170
maybe he has the potential to become something of a poor mans Manu. just take into consideration that Rudy(who's a better player than Pap) left NBA, cause he couldn't cope up with NBA's rythm etc.
my thoughts though

Not from Greece, not watching Pap every week, but he's not soft. Of course he doesn't play Celtic D at Olympiakos, but they play hard and he's clutch. He'd need to adjust to NBA game, and I don't think he'll be an All Star, but a good to great combo forward who can start for a middle-of-the-road team, or a Posey-lite bench key contributor for a contender. If Delfino can do it in the NBA, Pap shold be able, too.

Rudy Fernandez may be more talented, but he was ill-advised, joining the NBA too soon, before he could establish himself at Euroleague level. He's back in Spain and still trying to find his consistency. Ginobili and Ricky Rubio won Euroleague titles before going to the NBA, and Rudy and Real Madrid, with a better team, lost miserably to Olympiakos this year.

Still, in this proposed three-way with OKC and HOU, the biggest piece would be making room for the young kids while keeping flexibility and getting interesting trade chips (PJ3,Pap) and a (maybe) very valuable future Dallas pick in 2018 (no Dirk, no contending in the foreseeable future).

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2013, 05:13:56 PM »

Offline The_Pistol

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 1
my thoughts though

Not from Greece, not watching Pap every week, but he's not soft. Of course he doesn't play Celtic D at Olympiakos, but they play hard and he's clutch. He'd need to adjust to NBA game, and I don't think he'll be an All Star, but a good to great combo forward who can start for a middle-of-the-road team, or a Posey-lite bench key contributor for a contender. If Delfino can do it in the NBA, Pap shold be able, too.

Rudy Fernandez may be more talented, but he was ill-advised, joining the NBA too soon, before he could establish himself at Euroleague level. He's back in Spain and still trying to find his consistency. Ginobili and Ricky Rubio won Euroleague titles before going to the NBA, and Rudy and Real Madrid, with a better team, lost miserably to Olympiakos this year.

Still, in this proposed three-way with OKC and HOU, the biggest piece would be making room for the young kids while keeping flexibility and getting interesting trade chips (PJ3,Pap) and a (maybe) very valuable future Dallas pick in 2018 (no Dirk, no contending in the foreseeable future).

i see your point in making space for the youth,and thats the way the CELTICS of the mid '10s should work their new empire.
  I have a hesitance about the "have won argument" you've mentioned about Manu and Rubio (mostly because they were parts of a team,which was much better than their "competitors"). On the other hand Pap won 2 euroleagues as a part of the worst team in the Final4, and that is definetely a plus for him.but he's in NOT clutch at all. if the first two shots dont get in, he's gonna brick all the game long!
all im tryin' to say is Pap gas a place in our team only if we are going to tank. Even now in ths roster he's gonna be the 7th player or something.
  One way or another,is nice to exchange opinions about future,cause nobody knows whats gonna happen!  8) ;D

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2013, 05:24:25 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
We're not getting a #1 for Humphries, unless we take back a really bad contract in return.

Its possible If you wait til the deadline, but not likely.

The expiring contract will be valuable in the right situation.

« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2013, 06:23:56 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
"Ay!"

He seems like a real chill dude. I hope he does come back for at least a one day contract so he can hang his shirt up in the rafters. He was a great Celtic, loved being here... ...if he ran for mayor of Waltham I'd volunteer for the campaign.

« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2013, 07:51:07 PM »

Offline bleedGREENdon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 29
i would take any 2014 pick for him, the more picks we have this years draft the more we can trade to trade up if we dont get the 1st overall pick.

« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2013, 10:22:12 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
I think you could easily package the expiring of Hump + Marshon Brooks & net someone's first round pick if you wanted to

« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2013, 04:30:56 PM »

Offline BirdMchaleParish

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
As is Humphries is not as productive enough to warrant his salary. We would have to give up compensation to get rid of him for a trade exception.

« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2013, 04:34:06 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton

But you can trade Bass+Shav to Houston in a 3-way that sends Asik to OKC, Steven Adams to Houston, and Perk+PJ3+the Dallas pick from OKC+the rights to Papanikolau from Houston to the Cs. Win-win-win. Lateral move cap-wise, step ahead roster-wise.

LOL - is that all you'd have to do bro? That's a pretty good idea, but it's pretty complex!