Author Topic: Favorite Brandon Bass trade.  (Read 7811 times)

Re: Favorite Brandon Bass trade.
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2013, 11:34:35 AM »

Offline EDWARDO

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 93
Anyone arguing that we shouldn't trade him because it weakens our team is missing the entire point. We don't really care if we win an extra 3-4 games this year. And, good grief, unless Marion is an expiring, there's no sense in bringing him in.

I think both Bass and Lee would fit nicely in Houston. I'd take back some salaries to match and perhaps Terence Jones or a pick? I'd love Asik, but don't think they are going to trade him. Bass and Lee would fit Houston nicely and they should be in the mode we were in the last few years. Happy to expend some assets to put together nice fitting pieces around a potential championship core.

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2013, 11:45:15 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I'd be okay either way if we trade him

If you trade Bass you lose a usefull big man, having in consideration the poor efforts shown till now from <elo and Iverson

He's taking time from Sully and Olynyk at the PF position.
If we trade him for two 2nd round picks or a late first rounder we give the young guys some more time to develop on the court. He wont win us any more games but he does steal time from rookies and young guys who are not as good but need the playing time. (this also helps us tank).

"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2013, 11:54:23 AM »

Offline Phil125

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 57
How about keeping Bass and see how he does under a new coach. The guy is a physical freak.

So you want to keep his 6 million a year for the next three years to play a few minutes a game behind Sully and KO?

It's not yet certain that Olynyk can play NBA-level defense.  It's not certain that Sullinger will be healthy.  It makes sense for the Celtics to have a third-string power forward behind them and I'd rather use Bass than Humphries.

As other are stating keeping Bass is not the direction we are heading.  KO and Sully need minutes to develop.  We are building this team with them not Bass.

He is also a very tradable asset being a decent player with a decent contract.

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2013, 11:57:47 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

If you trade Bass you lose a usefull big man, having in consideration the poor efforts shown till now from <elo and Iverson

If we trade him for two 2nd round picks or a late first rounder we give the young guys some more time to develop on the court. He wont win us any more games but he does steal time from rookies and young guys who are not as good but need the playing time. (this also helps us tank).

Just because he's on the roster doesn't mean you have to play him.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2013, 12:00:57 PM »

Offline EDWARDO

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 93

OK, so trade him to someone... he's got some value. He's done a credible job of guarding Carmelo and Lebron the last two years in the playoffs. Someone can use this guy rather than have him rot on the bench for us. We should be able to extract some value.

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2013, 12:05:37 PM »

Offline Phil125

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 57

And the point of that would be to?

We could possibly trade him for a young backup point guard.  Which the team is missing and Nolan Smith is not the answer too.

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2013, 12:30:04 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
We could possibly trade him for a young backup point guard.  Which the team is missing and Nolan Smith is not the answer too.

That seems unlikely, due to cap considerations.  If you get a backup point guard for Bass, it's likely to be veteran signed beyond next season who is making too much money to justify being a backup. 

If you do get a young backup point guard, it will be probably be a deal for a guy who has been a third-string point guard on a non-contender plus salary filler.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2013, 12:33:28 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Anyone arguing that we shouldn't trade him because it weakens our team is missing the entire point. We don't really care if we win an extra 3-4 games this year. And, good grief, unless Marion is an expiring, there's no sense in bringing him in.

I think both Bass and Lee would fit nicely in Houston. I'd take back some salaries to match and perhaps Terence Jones or a pick? I'd love Asik, but don't think they are going to trade him. Bass and Lee would fit Houston nicely and they should be in the mode we were in the last few years. Happy to expend some assets to put together nice fitting pieces around a potential championship core.

Marion is expiring.

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2013, 12:49:58 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1772
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
How about keeping Bass and see how he does under a new coach. The guy is a physical freak.

So you want to keep his 6 million a year for the next three years to play a few minutes a game behind Sully and KO?

It's not yet certain that Olynyk can play NBA-level defense.  It's not certain that Sullinger will be healthy.  It makes sense for the Celtics to have a third-string power forward behind them and I'd rather use Bass than Humphries.

Yikes, so Bass is a starting pf on a contending team, but a third stringer on next year's [supposed] lottery team. I really think we would be doing Bass a favor by shipping him to Hou or Mem rather than him wasting away on our bench. If he is going to stay, he should be getting at least 24 minutes a game - not fair otherwise.

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2013, 01:51:34 PM »

Offline Robert24

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 6
Bass to Memphis for Tony Wroten is a good deal

« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2013, 07:12:05 PM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170
I posted this on the Introductory press conference post, and I think it could be a good trade for everyone involved:

Boston sends Bass and Shav to Houston
Boston receives Perk + PJ3 + Dallas 2014 pick from OKC
Boston receives the rights to Kostas Papanikolau from Houston

Houston sends Asik to OKC/rights to Papanikolau to Boston
Houston receives Bass/Shav from Boston
Houston receives Steve Adams from OKC

OKC sends PJ3+Perk+Dallas 2014 1st rounder to Boston/Steve Adams to Houston
OKC receives Asik from Houston

Celtics eat Perk’s terrible contract, but get a top 20 protected pick that becomes unprotected in 2018 and could end being very valuable. They also get PJ3 (trade chip for the 2014 offseason) and the rights to one of the best players in Europe.

OKC gets rid of Perk’s contract, gives a couple of minor pieces, and gets the best player in the trade in Asik.

Houston sends Asik to a conference rival, but they avoid problems (and future salary) with Asik, get a young project C, the second best player in the trade in Bass (save future money also) and non-guaranteed contract with Shav.

Maybe the Cs lose the trade by a bit, but Perk is a Celtic, and I hope Danny can send Humphries to the Sixers for their 2014 second rounder and a big TPE, easing the cap problems for a while.

People want Asik, but his contract will be worth around 14M next season, I doubt Houston wants to pay Asik and Howard, so I'm sure they would love to get Bass + Adams. OKC needs to win, and it would make sense to pay a C that, combined with Ibaka, could form a great inside duo.

Rondo loves Perk, he's a true Celtic even with his diminished game after injuries, and although his contract is beyond terrible, if you swap him for Bass and you also add PJ3+the Dallas pick+ the rights to Papanikolau, you're winning in the long run. Bass is a good player, but we need minutes for Kelly & Sully, we can accept 2-4 more games in the lose column.

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2013, 07:44:38 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Just looked at our train wreck of a depth chart and its obvious Bass has got to go.  Yahoo has Bradley as our starting SG and Backup PG at the same time.

My favorite trade for him right now is:

Brandon Bass and Jordan Crawford to the Rockets for Asik.  The money works out perfect.

The Rockets are on record saying they have no plans too trade Asik. Which yes may just be a smoke screen but if they were going too i really see them asking for a lot more. Asik would be great on our team and would really help the development of Sully and KO but idk if Bass and Crawford would be enough compensation

I think this would be a great trade: dig into our glut of power forwards and shooting guards in exchange for a true center—and a young and pretty good one, at that.

Maybe Bass and Crawford aren't enough, so throw in some other pieces, including draft picks, which we seem to have plenty of.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2013, 07:50:50 PM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1819

Yikes, so Bass is a starting pf on a contending team, but a third stringer on next year's [supposed] lottery team. I really think we would be doing Bass a favor by shipping him to Hou or Mem rather than him wasting away on our bench. If he is going to stay, he should be getting at least 24 minutes a game - not fair otherwise.

Bass wasn't starting PF on a contending team. He got the job because the players in front of him got injured. So he's really a bench player who landed on the starting spot out of necessity, not based on his skill level.

Jermaine O'neal and then Wilcox were starting prior to Bass getting the chance out of necessity.

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2013, 08:05:22 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1772
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Bass wasn't starting PF on a contending team. He got the job because the players in front of him got injured. So he's really a bench player who landed on the starting spot out of necessity, not based on his skill level.

Jermaine O'neal and then Wilcox were starting prior to Bass getting the chance out of necessity.

What are you talking about? Bass was the 4th leading scorer on the team that year both in the regular season (ahead of Rondo) and in the playoffs (ahead of Allen). He also averaged the 4th most minutes on the team, barely ahead of Garnett (15 more than Wilcox and 9 more than Jermaine). I know that Wilcox and Jermaine's corpse were shoe-ins for the all-star game, but Bass had solidified himself as the 5th 'player' on the team prior to those injuries and deserved to start when he did.

Any team we are discussing trading him to now is a bonafide  playoff team where he would start. Making the guy a third stringer on a crappy team isn't the best use of his talent for us or for the value we could receive. He is a very good basketball player.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 08:11:20 PM by jambr380 »

« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2013, 08:12:16 PM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367

Nail. On the head. Hit.

It looks like Ainge is following the Rockets' model. Keep collecting assets while fielding a halfway decent teams until a Harden trade comes along and your assets complement said Harden.