Author Topic: Bad for the NBA! (Brooklyn Nets)  (Read 17953 times)

Re: Bad for the NBA! (Brooklyn Nets)
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2013, 10:16:19 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Hard cap is needed.

« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2013, 10:25:54 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
How is a high quality team in the one of the leagues major markets "bad for the NBA"?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2013, 10:27:50 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Wholeheartedly disagree with the OP.  I love owners like this, who are willing to spend whatever amount it takes to put a good team on the floor.  Every owner should be this way.

It's the cheap owners that make me sick.  The bottom line should never outweigh winning.

« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2013, 10:36:36 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
If a Saudi prince bought the Celtics and spent crazy oil money that secured banners 18, 19, and 20 in this decade, would any Celtics fan complain?

Wow - is all that matters winning - what about how you win?

yes, winning is everything. I can careless how it is done. Like some of these above said, if it secures banner 18, 19, etc, I do not care how it is done. Winning is winning. Morals are meaningless to me if someone cannot get the job done.

« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2013, 10:38:57 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Hard cap is needed.
If an owner wants to donate $100 million to the league I think owners are fine with that.

« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2013, 10:41:08 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Hard cap is needed.
If an owner wants to donate $100 million to the league I think owners are fine with that.

Yep, you can take that to the bank...literally

« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2013, 10:47:54 AM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
I love this. Teams like Milwaukee and Indiana who are small market and responsible get huge checks when wild spending owners go for it like this. It's all good.

In baseball, it's much much worse!

Go Nets. I like Kirilenko, and hope we can add to BK's rotation and be a major contributor. It's a pretty huge win for the Nets. This will at least make things more interesting. They still need more 3 pt bomber role players.

« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2013, 12:16:13 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1547
Hard cap is needed.
Hard caps are dumb when you have fully guaranteed contracts.  It works in the NFL because you can cut players at greatly reduced dollars if they don't work out, get injured, etc.  You can't do a hard cap with fully guaranteed contracts, just too many variables at play and teams could realistically end up not fielding a team (with injuries and what not - I mean at one point last year Minnesota had 9 healthy and active players, imagine if there was a hard cap how frequently that would happen).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2013, 12:19:53 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
And at some point, the Nets will end up in the position that the Lakers are now.

More salary tax but they will be better. Adding Pierce and KG will be a lot better for a team than adding a Howard.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2013, 12:24:07 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Hard cap is needed.

haha exactly.

Plus the tax penalties work exponentially now.

There are repercussions with their roster as well.  Nets are loading up short term but I like long term how our picks of theirs are looking.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2013, 01:54:24 PM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
I don't think any of the owners could have anticipated Prokhorov. I mean he is taking the just recently agreed upon CBA and basically acting as if it does not exist. This is the main reason I hate Baseball because it is so inequitable and I sincerely hope it does not spread to basketball.

Even if it doesn't (and it most likely won't) I still feel turned off by the fact that he is doing this. I mean he just paid the MMLE to kirilenko and it is going to cost the team 15 million dollars total in tax to do that - I mean I am all for owners spending a lot of money to put a winning team on the court but that is just #$#$#%% You Money.

Its bad for the NBA and it scares me. I do not want other Gazillionires to start making the NBA their own personal Playground as well.

You must hate MLB. 
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2013, 02:10:35 PM »

Offline RyNye

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 97
I don't understand why you could be upset over this.

It isn't like the Nets splurged and signed every superstar to the same roster to bull-doze the league.

They felt pressure after what they perceived to be an underperforming season and splurged to make their team a little better. Honestly, all this spending has only bumped them from "guaranteed second round exit" to "fringe contender if they are healthy and everything else goes well, but they will probably still not get out of the east".

There really are no grounds for complaint, here. Brooklyn is going to be the 4-5 seed and gut out one or two nice play-off series before they lose out to the Bulls, Pacers, or Heat.

« Reply #57 on: July 12, 2013, 02:14:38 PM »

Offline RyNye

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 97
Am I missing something? - They definitely have a legit shot this year. I mean with the kirilenko signing they are a top 4 or 5 team period. The bench is beter then Miami's. The starting five is the best in the league.

You've lost all credibility with this remark. They are barely top 4 in the East. Heat, Pacers, and Bulls will all be better.

« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2013, 02:31:26 PM »

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 221
Well it seems like you're not exactly alone in this thinking..other GM's are raising questions (specifically w/ the AK-47 deal)

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--nets--deal-with-andrei-kirilenko-raises-suspicions-from-nba-rivals-180604173.html

« Reply #59 on: July 12, 2013, 02:36:50 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Well it seems like you're not exactly alone in this thinking..other GM's are raising questions (specifically w/ the AK-47 deal)

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--nets--deal-with-andrei-kirilenko-raises-suspicions-from-nba-rivals-180604173.html

I wonder if this would be an issue if it was any other big spending team with another owner getting a cheap deal.

Did Dolan offer JR Smith a rent-controlled apartment last year?

I think some people, Owners included apparently, need to watch a little less Red Dawn.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.