Author Topic: Bad for the NBA! (Brooklyn Nets)  (Read 17956 times)

Bad for the NBA! (Brooklyn Nets)
« on: July 11, 2013, 11:08:14 PM »

Offline Chris.J

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
I don't think any of the owners could have anticipated Prokhorov. I mean he is taking the just recently agreed upon CBA and basically acting as if it does not exist. This is the main reason I hate Baseball because it is so inequitable and I sincerely hope it does not spread to basketball.

Even if it doesn't (and it most likely won't) I still feel turned off by the fact that he is doing this. I mean he just paid the MMLE to kirilenko and it is going to cost the team 15 million dollars total in tax to do that - I mean I am all for owners spending a lot of money to put a winning team on the court but that is just #$#$#%% You Money.

Its bad for the NBA and it scares me. I do not want other Gazillionires to start making the NBA their own personal Playground as well.

Re: Bad for the NBA! (Brooklyn Nets)
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 11:10:23 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
And at some point, the Nets will end up in the position that the Lakers are now.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 11:15:34 PM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40
Its bad for the NBA and it scares me. I do not want other Gazillionires to start making the NBA their own personal Playground as well.

What are doing asian multimillionars  in europian soccer?

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 11:16:29 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I don't see the problem. He is playing within the rules while paying a hefty price. I'm sure the league and about 24 teams are very happy with him. He is putting plenty of money in many owners pockets.

Also, all transfers of ownership needs approval by the other 29 owners. He was a wild, free-spending billionaire then and he's treating his team the exact same way. No surprises.

Wish more owners would look less at their profit margin and more at their team's record.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 11:17:52 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
It maybe the only way someone can beat the Heat. Does not bother me at all.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 11:18:08 PM »

Offline Banner18now!

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
The Nets are better but they are still not good enough to win the whole thing. He is spending a ton of money that will be getting him nowhere but EFC at best. In a few years they are going to be lousy.

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 11:18:20 PM »

Offline Chris.J

• Xavier Tillman
And at some point, the Nets will end up in the position that the Lakers are now.

This is not like the LA Lakers - they still have spending limits. I am talking about the CBA being powerless against this guy. I don't like it and I feel he is basically saying $@%@%@ You to the rest of the league. 

They have a legit shot at winning the Championship and that after paying Joe Johnson CRAZY money. They should not be able to do that. 99 percent of the league if they have Joe Johnson's contract on the books would not be able to put forth a championship team. 

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 11:19:19 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
If a Saudi prince bought the Celtics and spent crazy oil money that secured banners 18, 19, and 20 in this decade, would any Celtics fan complain?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2013, 11:21:17 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

This is not like the LA Lakers - they still have spending limits. I am talking about the CBA being powerless against this guy. I don't like it and I feel he is basically saying $@%@%@ You to the rest of the league. 

They have a legit shot at winning the Championship and that after paying Joe Johnson CRAZY money. They should not be able to do that. 99 percent of the league if they have Joe Johnson's contract on the books would not be able to put forth a championship team.

If the CBA was powerless against this guy, the Nets could have kept Gerald Wallace as an overpaid sixth man and wouldn't be limited in the size of the contracts they could hand out to fill out their bench.

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2013, 11:21:23 PM »

Offline Chris.J

• Xavier Tillman
The Nets are better but they are still not good enough to win the whole thing. He is spending a ton of money that will be getting him nowhere but EFC at best. In a few years they are going to be lousy.

Am I missing something? - They definitely have a legit shot this year. I mean with the kirilenko signing they are a top 4 or 5 team period. The bench is beter then Miami's. The starting five is the best in the league.

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2013, 11:22:32 PM »

Offline Chris.J

• Xavier Tillman
If a Saudi prince bought the Celtics and spent crazy oil money that secured banners 18, 19, and 20 in this decade, would any Celtics fan complain?

Wow - is all that matters winning - what about how you win?

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2013, 11:24:02 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Yeah, the Nets aren't circumventing the CBA at all. In fact, I'd argue that they aren't even going against the spirit of the CBA, which was always about profits over parity.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2013, 11:26:45 PM »

Offline Chris.J

• Xavier Tillman

If the CBA was powerless against this guy, the Nets could have kept Gerald Wallace as an overpaid sixth man and wouldn't be limited in the size of the contracts they could hand out to fill out their bench.

Missing the point. Yes there  are still rules that he has to follow - sure. Like for example matching salaries to make the Garnett Pierce Trade work. But come on - at the rate he is spending money do you think if he could have kept wallace (thats if the Nets wanted him anyway) that he wouldn't have? 

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2013, 11:33:09 PM »

Offline Chris.J

• Xavier Tillman
Yeah, the Nets aren't circumventing the CBA at all. In fact, I'd argue that they aren't even going against the spirit of the CBA, which was always about profits over parity.

No it wasn't! Tell the small market owners that pushed like crazy to put really punitive actions against continual Luxury Tax violators. Tell that to all the max free agents out there who are now having to sign 12 million dollar contracts instead of 30 Million Dollar contracts (Kobe). Of course the new CBA is about Parity. it is clear most teams are being very cautious about it.

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2013, 11:33:51 PM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156

Wow - is all that matters winning - what about how you win?
Yes, winning is everything. As long as you don't have a criminal on your team like Kobe. I draw a line on that.
Peace through Tyranny