Author Topic: How the heck did K.O. slip to the 13th pick  (Read 10906 times)

Re: How the heck did K.O. slip to the 13th pick
« Reply #60 on: July 11, 2013, 06:15:12 PM »

Offline Celtics Insider

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 28
We had the chance to get Antetokounmpo. Instead we traded up to get a player that would be available at #16. Can't get any worse than that. We will give Olynyk more chances than he deserves but the draft night will come to haunt us for many years in the future.
There were reports that other teams before us were going to draft KO. And how can you say that this draft will "haunt" us? From what we've seen so far, we should be optimistic about what he can bring to our team...
http://celticsinsider.freehostingcloud.com/
Celtics Insider - Your #1 Source For Anything And Everything Boston Celtics And NBA!

« Reply #61 on: July 11, 2013, 06:17:43 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
We had the chance to get Antetokounmpo. Instead we traded up to get a player that would be available at #16. Can't get any worse than that. We will give Olynyk more chances than he deserves but the draft night will come to haunt us for many years in the future.

Actually, KO was going to the Jazz at 14 by all accounts.  Antetokounmpo plays the 3, which is what Jeff Green and most of the upcoming good 2014 draft picks play.  Worst case scenario is that Antetokounmpo is great next year and helps the Bucks make the playoffs, which will in turn eliminate the Cs and guarantee us a lottery pick.  I'm not too worried about it. 

O-Clinic is as good as we were going to do.  We also need to play Gerald Wallace to showcase him a little, so the minutes at the 3 are incredibly limited.  Antetokounmpo has said a hundred times he doesn't want to be stashed and wants to come over right away.  I like the kid okay, but we made the right decision.

« Reply #62 on: July 11, 2013, 06:21:21 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Actually, KO was going to the Jazz at 14 by all accounts.  Antetokounmpo plays the 3, which is what Jeff Green and most of the upcoming good 2014 draft picks play.  Worst case scenario is that Antetokounmpo is great next year and helps the Bucks make the playoffs, which will in turn eliminate the Cs and guarantee us a lottery pick.  I'm not too worried about it. 

O-Clinic is as good as we were going to do.  We also need to play Gerald Wallace to showcase him a little, so the minutes at the 3 are incredibly limited.  Antetokounmpo has said a hundred times he doesn't want to be stashed and wants to come over right away.  I like the kid okay, but we made the right decision.
So were the Jazz keeping the 14th if Olynyk is on the board? Because they shipped their selection to Minesotta.

Interesting. But in any case, both Utah and Milwaukee (15th pick) needed a solid big, so in retrospect moving up was probably reasonable.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #63 on: July 11, 2013, 06:30:42 PM »

Offline ge

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 3
Utah was going after Shroeder but decided to go with a safer pick at the same position. Olynyk might be a good player off the bench. If you plan on giving him 1st team role/minutes and hope you build a deep playoff team you are going to be disappointed. When you are rebuilding/tanking you go with the best talent. Antetokounmpo will be really good, you heard it here first :)

« Reply #64 on: July 11, 2013, 06:31:05 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419

So were the Jazz keeping the 14th if Olynyk is on the board? Because they shipped their selection to Minesotta.

Interesting. But in any case, both Utah and Milwaukee (15th pick) needed a solid big, so in retrospect moving up was probably reasonable.

http://celticshub.com/2013/06/30/weekend-notebook-what-about-kelly-olynyk-gigi-datome-could-sign-with-celtics/

Here is a quote:

“The Jazz really wanted, and I think expected, to get Kelly Olynyk at the 14th pick…The Jazz put Kelly Olynyk through a workout. They put all the guys that come in for workouts – the guards do something called the ‘Jazz 100.’ It is 100 3-point shots in a short period of time, taking 10 [shots] from 10 different spots in 10 different manners on the floor, so some can be coming off a pick-and-roll; some can be spot-ups where it is kicked out to you; some can be fading into the corner; [and] some are trailing in transition.”

I heard this from numerous places.  In fact, the reason we liked him is because word got out that he did so well for the Jazz in that workout.