Author Topic: How the heck did K.O. slip to the 13th pick  (Read 10918 times)

Re: How the heck did K.O. slip to the 13th pick
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2013, 10:57:32 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Because his defense is unexistant.

p.s. 2 summer league games based, so take it with a grain of salt as my only take on it for now.

Lets see , what did guys like tony mitchell, nicholson, jones do against him? All didnt take adv of his subpar defense.

He is not going to anchor the defense. But he sure hasnt been a liability when guarding his man in college and summer league so far. Ppl say , ibaka will eat him for dinner. Is he going to dunk it on him all game long? Please. The guy moves his feet, is in position and is only about 10 pounds away to not get pushed inside so easily. He is a competent defender in my books. He is no kg, but he is competent and will b a good team defender. Whatever he has done so far, the team is in plus. Same thing with sully last year. I expect good teamwork from both

I agree.  He's looked very competent playing one on one defense. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2013, 11:02:38 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

p.s. 2 summer league games based, so take it with a grain of salt as my only take on it for now.

Lets see , what did guys like tony mitchell, nicholson, jones do against him? All didnt take adv of his subpar defense.

He is not going to anchor the defense. But he sure hasnt been a liability when guarding his man in college and summer league so far. Ppl say , ibaka will eat him for dinner. Is he going to dunk it on him all game long? Please. The guy moves his feet, is in position and is only about 10 pounds away to not get pushed inside so easily. He is a competent defender in my books. He is no kg, but he is competent and will b a good team defender. Whatever he has done so far, the team is in plus. Same thing with sully last year. I expect good teamwork from both

Jones shot 3-12 last night.is that called dominating or efficiency?

I thoughy olynyk was going to be soft, but he looks like he doesnt mind battling, elbows, pushing, fighting, taking charges. Better than wilcox already.

Its too bad kg is gone bc one year lesson from would make olynyk that muxh better. Hopefully sully and jeff green have learned enough from the master to teach ko how to defendb with an edge.

« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2013, 11:04:38 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Of course, as we well know, in the NBA what matters most -- especially if you want to play center -- is your team defense (especially pick and roll), not 1 on 1.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2013, 11:20:22 AM »

Offline Interceptor

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 224
Lord forbid that someone get excited about the 13th pick lighting up Summer League. Never change, CB forums.

I'm personally optimistic about O'Clinic. He has flaws (duh.... otherwise he wouldn't have gone 13th), but he just has *so many* ways that he can score. It's not like he's just repeatedly posting up kindergarteners, here. He's got range, he's got moves (a lot of them). Sully looked slow and lost on D when he got here, and before he went down he 'd cleaned up significantly. Kelly seems smart like Sully, so that's good.

Even if he doesn't turn out to be Dirk v2.0, worst case we can flip him to some team that doesn't care about defense. Seems to have worked out for Big Al, right?

« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2013, 11:34:56 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Lord forbid that someone get excited about the 13th pick lighting up Summer League. Never change, CB forums.

See below:

.He has flaws (duh.... otherwise he wouldn't have gone 13th)

Presumably, the people you are criticizing with your first comment are pointing out the flaws you acknowledged above?  The question was "how did KO fall?"  As you noted, it's at least in part because he has some flaws in his game.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2013, 11:37:52 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
The question was "how did KO fall?"  As you noted, it's at least in part because he has some flaws in his game.
Right, in the lottery you want to take the guy you feel can be an all-star most of the time.

That's why so many "potential" guys get taken. Only after the top 10 picks or so do teams start grabbing people who are viewed as having a ceiling below an all-star.

I think Olynk fits that sort of situation, I suppose he could make an all-star game as a big man though. I mean Okur did once.

« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2013, 11:39:34 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

Of course, as we well know, in the NBA what matters most -- especially if you want to play center -- is your team defense (especially pick and roll), not 1 on 1.

I don't see Olynyk as a center in the NBA. 

Also, he sure isn't a rim protector, but I feel like he's shown decent awareness in the pick and roll, switching, and knowing where to be positionally. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2013, 11:46:10 AM »

Offline Interceptor

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 224
Presumably, the people you are criticizing with your first comment are pointing out the flaws you acknowledged above?  The question was "how did KO fall?"  As you noted, it's at least in part because he has some flaws in his game.
This is not a draft loaded with amazing players, though. There are any number of justifications for passing on KO, but that doesn't necessarily make them good ones. When this class is re-drafted a few years down the line, I think it's likelier than not that we'll find that Ainge pants'ed everyone, just like he did with AB or Rondo.

« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2013, 11:50:22 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
This is not a draft loaded with amazing players, though. There are any number of justifications for passing on KO, but that doesn't necessarily make them good ones. When this class is re-drafted a few years down the line, I think it's likelier than not that we'll find that Ainge pants'ed everyone, just like he did with AB or Rondo.

Agreed.

The question was "how did KO fall?"  As you noted, it's at least in part because he has some flaws in his game.
Right, in the lottery you want to take the guy you feel can be an all-star most of the time.

That's why so many "potential" guys get taken. Only after the top 10 picks or so do teams start grabbing people who are viewed as having a ceiling below an all-star.

I think Olynk fits that sort of situation, I suppose he could make an all-star game as a big man though. I mean Okur did once.

And yet no one taken above him says that to me, save Noel.  We will see but I see where Olynyk immediately contributes, some of these others not so much.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2013, 05:11:12 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Fafnir, I think that's a great point. Like the NFL where the whole first round is prototypical size, strength, speed, combine numbers the second round is usually guys who can just play. Guys are trying to hit home runs in the top 10, hence so many busts.

« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2013, 05:28:28 PM »

Offline erisred

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
In the end, Olynyk might end up being better than some of the guys taken before him and some folks taken after him might be better than him.

I think we all commented on the fact that this draft was very, very, flat. There wasn't a lot of difference between #1 and #15...maybe even less difference between #15 and #35. I think, over time, we're going to see a lot of surprises all up and down this draft. My guess is that Kelly will be a big one, but maybe not the biggest...don't ask me who, I just think there is a chance that somebody out of the late first or second round is going to a real player.

« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2013, 05:59:22 PM »

Offline slamdunk

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 56
  • I'mPossible
Kelly Olynyk is gonna be a solid offensive stretch 4 for us.  I think he's well worth the #13 pick.  But come on, this was a weak draft.  Not a lot of talent to be had.  And don't forget the bias against white guys compounded by the fact that he's a non-american player.

You really think there's a bias against white guys?

Honestly if KO was black, he'd be a top 3 pick.

« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2013, 06:03:42 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Kelly Olynyk is gonna be a solid offensive stretch 4 for us.  I think he's well worth the #13 pick.  But come on, this was a weak draft.  Not a lot of talent to be had.  And don't forget the bias against white guys compounded by the fact that he's a non-american player.

Please name the last black 7-footer with 25-inch vertical who was picked top 3.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2013, 06:05:19 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134

Please name the last black 7-footer with 25-inch vertical who was picked top 3.

Sam Bowie ?

« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2013, 06:08:02 PM »

Offline ge

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 3
We had the chance to get Antetokounmpo. Instead we traded up to get a player that would be available at #16. Can't get any worse than that. We will give Olynyk more chances than he deserves but the draft night will come to haunt us for many years in the future.