Author Topic: How the heck did K.O. slip to the 13th pick  (Read 10917 times)

Re: How the heck did K.O. slip to the 13th pick
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2013, 08:53:56 AM »

Online Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I think a lot of GM's get caught up in the flashy games and athletic freaks.

DA likes thoughs guys,but also know Hi-IQ's will translate well to the NBA. Even if he doesn't become a start or go to guy he should stay in the NBA because of that. Look at Scal, same deal, not flashy, but knows the game and how to play his game to help. I think that will be KO's low. His high? Not sure.

I know people compare him to Morrison and JJJ, but what about their BBIQ's How were they? JJJ I think was just an athletic freak that got away with it in collage against the smaller less athletic players. Morrison, not sure why. Maybe bad situation? Maybe not mentally tough, couldn't handle what the league brought night in and night out.

It funny how people say "its summer league". Like thats a knock. Yeah some have looked good and then were horrible during the season. Some have looked bad, but then looke great during the season. But it is some of  the best of the collage crop,D-League, over sea's players, and second year players, and he's taken his game from college and translated it right to summer league not missing a step.

I do think there will be growing pains during the season. Teams will learn how to play him. But if he's as smart as they say and we think, he'll learn how to work around that. What I like is he has no one "go to" move. He has every shot on the court, and changes it up. When he post's he does some thing different almost every time, i haven't seen him do the same move twice in a row. And I think he needs to focus on passing when he gets with better players because that will really open up his shooting later down the road.

Im good with the pick right now. I think he could be a top  rookie if he can keep up his play.   

« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2013, 09:00:20 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
He slipped because of a bias towards, athleticism and wing span, areas in which he does not measure out very well. Gms are always trying to find the guy that could grow into an elite player, often eschewing current skills for future upside.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2013, 09:04:23 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I'll also add if you look at that wages of wins link above
http://wagesofwins.com/2013/05/28/ranking-the-top-11-ncaa-prospects-at-each-position/

You'll notice Phil Pressey and Colton Iverson are both on there as top 11 at their position in the entire NCAA.
That's Ainge trying to find a few nice bench players who'll grow in value.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2013, 09:09:26 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I haven't been following:  how are the other 12 guys picked ahead of him looking so far?

It's gonna be tough to say that he's a steal, or that others were picked too soon, until we see them in actual NBA games.  It's hard not to be optimistic, but it's way too early to say that KO should have gone in the top five, etc.

I did a semi-thorough scanning of box scores yesterday. (The full sortable stats are not posted yet, which makes things tougher).

Some other guys are playing well too. The comparison is tough because (a) many of those guys are guards, who (the conventional wisdom goes) tend to thrive anyway. And (b) the only center comparison is Adams, who is raw and wouldn't be expected to do as well as Olynyk.

Add to the mix that while Olynyk is a big guy he is also a perimeter big guy - which kind of puts him in the same category as guards, if the way games are played here benefits certain play styles - and it gets even more muddled.

I am staying cool on this but there are two clear facts:
1. He has done absolutely nothing to indicate that he was a bust at the 13th pick.
2. Comments of NBA players, past and present, watching these games are extremely positive.

« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2013, 09:15:10 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
He slipped because of a bias towards, athleticism and wing span, areas in which he does not measure out very well. Gms are always trying to find the guy that could grow into an elite player, often eschewing current skills for future upside.
It's not a bias. There are legitimate questions about how a player with 24-inch vertical, no matter how skilled, will fare when he's being defended by Chris Bosh instead of Chris Johnson (for comparison, Kevin Love, who was generally considered below average in athleticism, recorded a 30-inch vertical at the combine; and so did Sullinger, for that matter). Olynyk has a great run going in the SL, but those questions have not yet been answered. He's far from a slam dunk.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2013, 09:32:46 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I haven't been following:  how are the other 12 guys picked ahead of him looking so far?

It's gonna be tough to say that he's a steal, or that others were picked too soon, until we see them in actual NBA games.  It's hard not to be optimistic, but it's way too early to say that KO should have gone in the top five, etc.

I did a semi-thorough scanning of box scores yesterday. (The full sortable stats are not posted yet, which makes things tougher).

Some other guys are playing well too. The comparison is tough because (a) many of those guys are guards, who (the conventional wisdom goes) tend to thrive anyway. And (b) the only center comparison is Adams, who is raw and wouldn't be expected to do as well as Olynyk.

Add to the mix that while Olynyk is a big guy he is also a perimeter big guy - which kind of puts him in the same category as guards, if the way games are played here benefits certain play styles - and it gets even more muddled.

1. He has done absolutely nothing to indicate that he was a bust at the 13th pick.
2. Comments of NBA players, past and present, watching these games are extremely positive.

http://www.nba.com/summerleague/2013/statistics/orlando/index.html

I don't know if you saw this page.  It's not exactly sortable, but it is a complete listing of each player's basic Orlando Summer League stats.

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2013, 09:35:09 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

I don't know if you saw this page.  It's not exactly sortable, but it is a complete listing of each player's basic Orlando Summer League stats.
It is, actually, sortable. You just can't filter by position. Olynyk is tied for first in ppg, and also in top 5 in rpg.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2013, 10:02:16 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

It is, actually, sortable. You just can't filter by position. Olynyk is tied for first in ppg, and also in top 5 in rpg.

Thanks, TPs to you both. I do love me some sortable stats.

« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2013, 10:33:05 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Because his defense is unexistant.

p.s. 2 summer league games based, so take it with a grain of salt as my only take on it for now.
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2013, 10:34:43 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

p.s. 2 summer league games based.

3 games so far to be fair.

And a whole college season in which he was one of the best players in NCAA and the best player on a team ranked #1.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2013, 10:41:17 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

And a whole college season in which he was one of the best players in NCAA and the best player on a team ranked #1.

Um . . .  four summer league games so far. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2013, 10:41:59 AM »

Offline RLewis35

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 20
  • I drink and I know things

p.s. 2 summer league games based, so take it with a grain of salt as my only take on it for now.

That's true...but JJ Redick is a perfect example of a guy with nonexistent defense who actually has worked his way into a decent defender...Kelly could do the same, and he is WAY More NBA ready than JJ was offensively because of his size and array of moves and ball handling for his size.

Just saying, poor D coming out of college doesn't mean he'll stay that way (and not saying you are saying that either...I am sure that is part of why he went 13th).

« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2013, 10:44:13 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale

Um . . .  four summer league games so far.

I only watched 2 of those 4
thats what i meant   :P

Nice to be back!

« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2013, 10:53:29 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale

That's true...but JJ Redick is a perfect example of a guy with nonexistent defense who actually has worked his way into a decent defender...Kelly could do the same, and he is WAY More NBA ready than JJ was offensively because of his size and array of moves and ball handling for his size.

Just saying, poor D coming out of college doesn't mean he'll stay that way (and not saying you are saying that either...I am sure that is part of why he went 13th).

yup
even our beloved truth run a path of learning in that
departament and we all know how well that ended.
I can live with players learning... I expect them to
every single day...

Nice to be back!

« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2013, 10:53:58 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Lets see , what did guys like tony mitchell, nicholson, jones do against him? All didnt take adv of his subpar defense.

He is not going to anchor the defense. But he sure hasnt been a liability when guarding his man in college and summer league so far. Ppl say , ibaka will eat him for dinner. Is he going to dunk it on him all game long? Please. The guy moves his feet, is in position and is only about 10 pounds away to not get pushed inside so easily. He is a competent defender in my books. He is no kg, but he is competent and will b a good team defender. Whatever he has done so far, the team is in plus. Same thing with sully last year. I expect good teamwork from both