Author Topic: How the heck did K.O. slip to the 13th pick  (Read 10907 times)

Re: How the heck did K.O. slip to the 13th pick
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2013, 03:56:38 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
Kelly`s gonna be crucified? :-(
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2013, 04:27:40 AM »

Offline EDWARDO

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 93

For Danny's sins, yes.  Pontius "Eugen" Pilate will authorize the deed.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 04:35:12 AM by EDWARDO »

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2013, 06:07:03 AM »

Offline jarufu

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 123

At least they'll only have to find a 6'9" timber for the crosspiece!
Stay classy, San Diego. Hello, Baxter? Baxter, is that you? Bark twice if you're in Milwaukee. Is this Wilt Chamberlain? Have the decency to say something.

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2013, 06:13:58 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

At least they'll only have to find a 6'9" timber for the crosspiece!

ha! ;D

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2013, 06:28:13 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
turnover prone, terrible defender, poor rebounder, lack of explosiveness, etc.

There were some major knocks on his game and the Summerleague isn't doing anything to really change those impressions.

Still, he's got some offensive weapons.  Should be fun to watch.

He's rebounded at a better rate than Sully did last summer, yet everyone was excited by Sully's rebounding then. 

His defense is a work in progress, but I think he's got some good instincts and tenacity there too.  Just had five steals in one game, just held T Jones to 3-12 shooting in another.  Also, his TO's don't seem to have come from poor passes or bad dribbling, just getting stripped in a scrum with stronger players.  I think that will improve.

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2013, 07:45:54 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I know it's only summer league, and I know that getting carried away with young players is highly frowned upon around here, but based on what I've seen from the kid so far, I just can't help myself.  I'm in love with Kelly Olynyk's game. 

While everyone else is out there just trying to prove that they belong, the Klynyk is trying to prove that he's the best player on the court.  And, he's succeeding.  He's just so skilled, so smooth, just really looks like a baller. 

Everyone can point to Luke Harangody as an example of the dangers of falling for a rookie who plays well in summer league.  However, despite Luke having a good showing in his rookie year, did anyone really fall for him in the same way they are falling for Kelly? 

Luke Harangody didn't wow people the way Kelly Olynyk is in this year's summer league.  And, it's not just us green-goggled homers.  I mean, I love listening to Kendall Gill and Dennis Johnson call these summer league games.  You can almost picture their jaws dropping at some of the stuff he's doing out there.  One of my favorite moments was when Dennis Scott, and I forget what play it was, just went "come on" as his analysis. 

Yeah, I'm getting carried away, and I'm happy to do so.  I'm going on record as saying; "this kid is for real."

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2013, 08:14:38 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Bias against players from mid-majors.  Bias against players who don't have elite athleticism.

Both of these I think have merit.

How many times on this board when I brought up Olynyk was it returned with "Adam Morrison, Gonzaga, blah blah"
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2013, 08:17:04 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I haven't been following:  how are the other 12 guys picked ahead of him looking so far?

It's gonna be tough to say that he's a steal, or that others were picked too soon, until we see them in actual NBA games.  It's hard not to be optimistic, but it's way too early to say that KO should have gone in the top five, etc.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2013, 08:22:44 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
I haven't been following:  how are the other 12 guys picked ahead of him looking so far?

It's gonna be tough to say that he's a steal, or that others were picked too soon, until we see them in actual NBA games.  It's hard not to be optimistic, but it's way too early to say that KO should have gone in the top five, etc.

Shabazz hasn't played. Neither has McLemore I think?

So far my impression (box scores, reading recaps, game chat) is that the draft is indeed as a lot have predicted it to be. No surefire picks. Even Trey Burke struggled a little. Oladipo has been the best pick from the looks of it but even he is kind of iffy on the offensive end.

Before anyone slams me on Oladipo, he's better than expected on offensive end is what I hear. But it's still a work in project on that end for sure.

« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2013, 08:23:17 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

The only guys playing in Orlando picked ahead of Olynyk are Oladipo, Caldwell-Pope, Carter-Williams, Burke, and Adams.

Our guy has looked better than any of them.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2013, 08:25:33 AM »

Offline TeamGreen.dm

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 9
  • here comes Banner 18
He didn't necessarily slip in this draft. A lot of teams drafted wants instead needs just because of this weak draft. We drafted the best player available and he was a NEED for us so we went up in the draft to select him.

"I am not going to back down from any challenge. Like I said, you are going to have to prove to me. I am a fighter; I will keep fighting and will never give up." Marcus Smart

« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2013, 08:31:36 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

The only guys playing in Orlando picked ahead of Olynyk are Oladipo, Caldwell-Pope, Carter-Williams, Burke, and Adams.

Our guy has looked better than any of them.

KO was better in that first game but not by too much over Oladipo.  He has impressed me.

Everyone else I've seen I agree though.  Carter Williams I have seen more than the others and he will probably average like 15 pts 7 assists next year but leading the league in TOs.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2013, 08:32:11 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
We got a guy who can really score, play sound positional, anticipatory defense, high motor and iq and as ppl can see from his college days and summer league so far a consistent player. Definitely should of gone higher and promise you charlotte will regret picking zeller and okc picking adams ahead.

« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2013, 08:51:31 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

There are some other good players at the top no doubt I like Carter Williams, Ben Mac, Noel,

But the point is he's seven feet with all around offensive game, shoots, passes, great ball handler. Guys like Steven Adams, Alex Len, and even 6'1" Trey Burke. I think KO has better futures than them IMO.

« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2013, 08:51:51 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Ainge is fond of stats. Olynyk had a huge impact of win shares for that Gonzaga team- actually the highest percentage of any power forward- Just like Oladipo had on Indiana. He heard the Mavs had a similar view on Olynyk and he had to jump at his chance to draft one of the only serious 'winshares impact' players left in our range.

Check this out:

http://wagesofwins.com/2013/05/28/ranking-the-top-11-ncaa-prospects-at-each-position/

Danny loves this stuff and has used it for a long time- guys like Morey and the Magic are just starting to get into this stuff like the Celtics have been doing for years. That's why it was a bummer to lose McDonough to the Suns.
He'll turn them around in 3 seasons at most to a playoff team on the rise.
It's why Presit loves Ainge and the Celtics- the C's and Spurs are pioneers in this stuff and Ainge and his crew are some of the best. He has made some amazing picks at the 14-40 range. Much better than anyone else in the last 10 years and people don't seem to understand this.

It's one way I could see him trying to avoid an absolute tank because he feels he could weed out the diamonds in the rough in such a loaded draft- way better than anyone else. I still say lets tank and get a real diamond, then use our other picks on the potential diamonds that no one else can find.

I mean you give Danny enough dirt, a shovel and some water and he will find some absolute diamonds even in the crappiest mud!
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.