Author Topic: Colton Iverson - Andrew Nicholson  (Read 3972 times)

Colton Iverson - Andrew Nicholson
« on: July 08, 2013, 12:00:29 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
I'm not sure if anyone else picked this up or they saw it but it didn't register the same way it did with me.

Nicholson was "really" giving Olynyk the business in the post. I thought he should of been called for 1-2 more offensive fouls. He was basically just hammering into Olynyk without really trying to make any move at all.

Olynyk actually held his ground pretty good and was meeting him body to body and it was getting pretty physical and heated between the two.

And then something really, really beautiful happened. Something I hardly ever saw during Doc Rivers tenure.

Out goes Olynyk and in comes Colton - to guard...Nicholson.

The next 5-10 trips down the floor was basically a major wrestling match for Nicholson, one that he was not enjoying and not winning - at all.

I loved it, absolutely loved it. It was like our coaching staff said "Ok Nicholson, so you want to be a jerk off? Ok, so please meet Colton Iverson - enjoy...".

There was nothing dirty or dangerous from Colton, just constant physical bumping and grinding. I do think there was one play where Nicholson drove and bounced off Colton like a ping pong ball 0 but that also wasn't dirty.

If Colton is used for nothing less than just an enforcer type (nothing dirty, just good physical play and our new coaching staff is going to draw a line in the sand I think I'm going to really enjoy this next Celtics team.

I Also noticed something I rarely saw with Doc either - two seven footers playing at the same time.

I know it's summer league but I found it refreshing to see two seven footers our there at the same time - several times:

Melo and Olynyk
Melo and Iverson
Iverson and Olynyk

I like that we at least "tried some different possibilities.

Then same summer league is a guard's league and we're running a couple seven footers out there at the same time.

But back to the original point - love it if we're going to be a bit more of a physical team in the paint. That actually seems like it would fit Ainge's playing days and therefore his mentality/philosophy better.

We'll see if Iversons sticks. Hoep so - he reminds me a little bit of the Center who used to play for Indiana. Good rebounder, physical defender and just generally irritating - Jeff Foster.

Thoughts?   

Re: Colton Iverson - Andrew Nicholson
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 12:15:46 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Iverson will be an NBA player at some point.  Maybe this season for us, maybe later for us or another team, but he will.  He is too well built physically and he moves very well.  He just has to pick up some little things and if he could have a foul line area jumper to knock down off a spot up that would be big for his offensive game (seems to be potential for that too).
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 12:19:30 PM »

Offline paidthecost2betheboss

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 40
I was watching Iverson turn his back to the action to go out of his way to wrestle. NBA is too fast for that stuff but he was clearly not allergic to contact. It looked like he was looking to do that at the expense of everything else.

I was not too happy until I saw what you did which is they were not driving if he was near the paint facing the ball. He got a foul standing straight with his hands straight up and the ball handler who looked 230 just got stopped. They called a foul on Iverson ???
O Quin was enjoying some really favorable calls which made Iversons calls seem kinda off but the refs are in Summer league too so ..whatever...

But yeah the point about head down shoulder drives dipping when he was in was spot on. They were hitting good from outside so it did us no good but seeing a guy that was only interested in making the paint a mosh pit was nice. The only shot he took and missed was a surprise pass to him standing near the foul line. Dude is here for the D and he is welcome to keep doing what he does. Perk wasn't known for his scoring or even rebounding but he set great picks and made folks pay in the paint. We won a banner one year with him doing that and lost the next chance partly because he wasn't there for game 7 if I recall?

I want Iverson to be more ball aware and other basketball related stuff ;D...but what he brings ...man I likes!

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 12:28:34 PM »

Offline timobusa

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 284
  • Bleed Green, Die Green
I said this when we first drafted Colton.
I really like his game.
He's not a scorer, but he is a physical guy.
Not afraid of contact.
I just wish he picked 45 as his number.
So we can call him COLT 45

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 12:38:01 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
I really like his game.
Not afraid of contact.

I believe that's the number he's taken in the past, but that it wasn't available on the C's--maybe because they didn't want the gun connection?

Anyway, the kid earned his nickname, given that he shot 60% from the field last year.

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 12:38:50 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
Iverson will be an NBA player at some point.  Maybe this season for us, maybe later for us or another team, but he will.  He is too well built physically and he moves very well.  He just has to pick up some little things and if he could have a foul line area jumper to knock down off a spot up that would be big for his offensive game (seems to be potential for that too).

I think he already has a jumper.

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 12:41:37 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
I was watching Iverson turn his back to the action to go out of his way to wrestle. NBA is too fast for that stuff but he was clearly not allergic to contact. It looked like he was looking to do that at the expense of everything else.

I was not too happy until I saw what you did which is they were not driving if he was near the paint facing the ball. He got a foul standing straight with his hands straight up and the ball handler who looked 230 just got stopped. They called a foul on Iverson ???
O Quin was enjoying some really favorable calls which made Iversons calls seem kinda off but the refs are in Summer league too so ..whatever...

But yeah the point about head down shoulder drives dipping when he was in was spot on. They were hitting good from outside so it did us no good but seeing a guy that was only interested in making the paint a mosh pit was nice. The only shot he took and missed was a surprise pass to him standing near the foul line. Dude is here for the D and he is welcome to keep doing what he does. Perk wasn't known for his scoring or even rebounding but he set great picks and made folks pay in the paint. We won a banner one year with him doing that and lost the next chance partly because he wasn't there for game 7 if I recall?

I want Iverson to be more ball aware and other basketball related stuff ;D...but what he brings ...man I likes!

Iverson held his ground a couple of times like a brick wall, with the opposing player crumpling at his feet.  He wasn't flashy, but I thought it was a very solid first game for a 53rd pick enforcer type.  He really galloped up and down the floor, too.  Melo looked like he was chained in a three-legged race by comparison.

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 12:50:58 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

In drills I've seen it yes.  Not in the games.  Saw one in the game and it didn't look pretty but I hope he takes some more.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 12:54:10 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I think he'd be a fine third string but it looks like Fab Melo already has that role.

If Fab Melo is traded, I would keep C.Iverson.

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2013, 12:56:35 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I like Iverson, hope he sticks. His size and toughness alone make him worthy of a roster spot on a young, rebuilding team.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2013, 01:16:18 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas

In drills I've seen it yes.  Not in the games.  Saw one in the game and it didn't look pretty but I hope he takes some more.

DraftExpress says he only took nine jump shots last year.  But he's already pretty solid both getting to the line and scoring near the basket: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Colton-Iverson-18752/.  I think he's a guy who focuses on doing what he does really well, and will just increase what he's got in that repertoire over time if encouraged.

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2013, 01:22:47 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
I really like his game.
Not afraid of contact.

I haven't watched the game, but sounds like he could be something like Perk.

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2013, 01:27:56 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
"Physical bumping and grinding" on an NBA court between two players?

Next time tell them to get a room! ;D

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2013, 01:33:08 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I really like his game.
Not afraid of contact.

Except for the part where he's not nearly as good, and is also 5 years older than Perk was when he entered the league.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2013, 01:35:01 PM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
I really like his game.
Not afraid of contact.

Except for the part where he's not nearly as good, and is also 5 years older than Perk was when he entered the league.

Rich man's Jason Collins.