Author Topic: What exactly is Danny's Strategy  (Read 6635 times)

Re: What exactly is Danny's Strategy
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2013, 05:58:25 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 350
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
Problem with relying on the draft is you could just as easily draft Kwame Brown as you could Lebron James.

The quality of this draft is much more similar to the quality of Lebron James' 2003 draft rather than Kwame Brown's 2002 draft. A more appropriate comparison would be Darko Milicic, and well, that's one of multiple reasons why I think it's foolish trading Rondo for another lottery pick. Right now we're in great position to have one solid lottery pick as well as having the financial flexibility to swing in the free agency next year. I wouldn't call that being dependent on the draft at all.

This seems to be the strategy. Although I should mention the whole 2014 free agency is hot air. I don't think everyone opts out, and those that do will likely resign (LBJ, Wade, Bosh, Melo). And  a lot of the big name younger guys are restricted (Paul George, John Wall, Cousins)

It's true that many of them will stay put, but that's a long list of names you've listed and that's only scratching the surface. With such quantity, there's bound to be multiple high-profile names looking to move around the league. Don't forget that through all of this, we have the assets to pounce at a blockbuster trade should one become available. There are a lot of options for us right now.

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2013, 06:07:55 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
Undefined ?

It's a pretty easy strategy .

* Hire a darn good coach

* Get assets (9 first round picks in the next 5 years)

* Build around Rondo, Bradley, Green, Sully, & Olynyk to start. Let Fab continue developing down in the D-league for the next 3 years (judge him in 3 or 4 years)

* Clear roster space (cap)

* Build through the draft

* Trade assets for productive players for your system

* Sign free agents when necessary

His strategy is set on building a winner. He's done it before, & he'll do it again.

I see you #18

While I think his long term goals are more defined. I think the short term are less. Is he tryin to put out a winner this year or not. The worst scenario for this team is put out a middle of the pack team which they currently have. If this team is picking in the late lottery or late teens for the next few years all these picks are meaningless. We have alot of picks but BKN picks won't be potentially high  untill 2017, 2018.

Clear roster space is ideal but we have yet to do that.

I think Stevens is a great hire, but is here to bring a mediocre team to the 2nd round or develeop a roster full of young players?

Also to say his strategy is to build a winner isn't much of a leap of faith. Who's strategy isn't that. Currently this roster is as far away from a championship since Ricky Davis played for us.

No, he's not trying to put out a winner if you're talking championship. Contending for the 7/8 spot in the East, yes.

The picks there won't be meaningless because you can always find talent that helps your team at those draft positions. He's done it with the likes of Tony Allen, Rondo, & Sullinger.

While I respect the opionion of wanting to see a semi competitive team. Rather than a team that loses 50+ games. I feel as though that's the formula to build an average team. I think it's fair to say most would rather bear a few years of bad but exciting uptempo bball in order to possibly drastically change the course of the team through the draft. Rather than building a team stuck in mediocrity for a decade.

While te good GMs can find talent in the 20s if you were to ask any of them
That's not where they would like to be picking unless they are competing for a championship. The talent there is very difficult to find

It's a product that's unfinished though. The build isn't complete after this year. You play to win regardless, & continue the development of the youth on the roster. Starting a foundation that's built on winning is far better than starting a foundation of tanking in order to get a better guess at the end of the day.

With a plethora of first round picks coming up, that's a great start to avoid building an average team. You have a ton of ammo to add quality to your team in the future.

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2013, 06:08:26 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Problem with relying on the draft is you could just as easily draft Kwame Brown as you could Lebron James.

The quality of this draft is much more similar to the quality of Lebron James' 2003 draft rather than Kwame Brown's 2002 draft. A more appropriate comparison would be Darko Milicic, and well, that's one of multiple reasons why I think it's foolish trading Rondo for another lottery pick. Right now we're in great position to have one solid lottery pick as well as having the financial flexibility to swing in the free agency next year. I wouldn't call that being dependent on the draft at all.

This seems to be the strategy. Although I should mention the whole 2014 free agency is hot air. I don't think everyone opts out, and those that do will likely resign (LBJ, Wade, Bosh, Melo). And  a lot of the big name younger guys are restricted (Paul George, John Wall, Cousins)

It's true that many of them will stay put, but that's a long list of names you've listed and that's only scratching the surface. With such quantity, there's bound to be multiple high-profile names looking to move around the league. Don't forget that through all of this, we have the assets to pounce at a blockbuster trade should one become available. There are a lot of options for us right now.

Here's a comprehensive list:
http://www.hoopsworld.com/2014-nba-free-agents

The only worthwhile guy we may have a legit shot at signing is Bogut.and given his health history, I'm less than enamored.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2013, 06:14:53 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies

The only worthwhile guy we may have a legit shot at signing is Bogut.and given his health history, I'm less than enamored.

I've checked it already.

The reason you're less than enamored is because you think Bogut is the best guy we have a shot at signing. I don't think that's true at all. But even if it's all doom and gloom with free agency, we have plenty of assets to acquire talent through trade, like I already said.

We're in a good position for the 2014 draft. We're in a good position for the 2014 free agency pool. We're in a good position to make a trade at any time. I like our position.

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2013, 06:15:47 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Tank in 2013-14 for a shot at a star, collect as many young assets and draft picks as possible, acquire cap space... accept any trade that improves us long-term (even a little bit)... and in 3 years you re-evaluate.  Who do you want to stay for the long haul?  Who is expendable? 

Pretty simple.  Last time around, he turned a down-in-the-dumps franchise into a contender in 4 years.

« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2013, 06:24:53 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

I've checked it already.

The reason you're less than enamored is because you think Bogut is the best guy we have a shot at signing. I don't think that's true at all. But even if it's all doom and gloom with free agency, we have plenty of assets to acquire talent through trade, like I already said.

We're in a good position for the 2014 draft. We're in a good position for the 2014 free agency pool. We're in a good position to make a trade at any time. I like our position.

I agree about the draft and trading for players, in fact I think trading for big stars is the best route for us.

I'm simply saying I don't think 2014 free agency is all some are making it out to be.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2013, 06:38:37 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Hitting on the draft picks is key.   If you stockpile talent it has to be able to play or something people want.  One Kwame Brown pick or a Jajuan Johnson miss will set us back immensely.   

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2013, 06:48:16 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
Hitting on the draft picks is key.   If you stockpile talent it has to be able to play or something people want.  One Kwame Brown pick or a Jajuan Johnson miss will set us back immensely.

When you've got nine picks in five years, though, you can **** one or two of them up and be OK.  The 2001 draft wasn't a disaster because we picked Kedrick Brown; it was a disaster because we traded Joe Johnson and took Joe Forte over Tony Parker.  If we're drafting in the late lotto (our picks, likely) and in the low/mid-20's (LA/Brooklyn picks), I expect Danny might take a few more gambles, be they talented players with attitude concerns or some injury-risk guys like Sully.

And, JJJ didn't really hurt us at all, as far as I can see - you've just got to be willing to cut your losses quickly and get what you can, while you can. 

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2013, 06:50:47 PM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
Wait and see. As in, whenever the opportunity arises, take it.

Forcing things will only backfire and slow the rebuild. He didn't get Josh Smith. He didn't get Big Al.

Patience is a virtue young padawan.

« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2013, 07:20:19 PM »

Offline erisred

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
Long term has been answered, I think. Short term, though, really is tank. No, he'll never say that and will adamantly deny the very thought of intentionally losing at every opportunity. What I think he's going to do, though, is make sure the roster that Coach Stevens has to work with is composed of almost only young developmental players who try their best and still lose a lot of games.

The Celtics won't intentionally lose any games, they'll play their hearts out and earn every loss. I expect them to play themselves to the 7th or 8th pick in the draft.

« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2013, 07:25:37 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
I agree about the draft and trading for players, in fact I think trading for big stars is the best route for us.

I'm simply saying I don't think 2014 free agency is all some are making it out to be.

Yeah, I'm not going to disagree with you. You're totally right in that guys like Lebron are probably staying put. It's always good to look at things realistically, but at the same time, don't rule it out either. With plenty of draft picks, assets, and financial flexibility looming, I think we can all agree that we're privileged to be in a very good position right now. And that's key.

« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2013, 07:41:38 PM »

Offline TeamGreen.dm

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 9
  • here comes Banner 18

I've checked it already.

No top 2014 free agents will come to Boston by signing a contract, they never did never will. We will get OUR top players through trades
"I am not going to back down from any challenge. Like I said, you are going to have to prove to me. I am a fighter; I will keep fighting and will never give up." Marcus Smart

« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2013, 07:48:05 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
100& correct!! C's hasndt done too well with draft picks in last 20 years..Pierce and Rondo been great..Johnson and Billups would have but trade them away
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2013, 07:51:34 PM »

Offline TeamGreen.dm

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 9
  • here comes Banner 18
100& correct!! C's hasndt done too well with draft picks in last 20 years..Pierce and Rondo been great..Johnson and Billups would have but trade them away

This draft is completely different. With a top 5 pick we can change the entire teams future and have our STAR
"I am not going to back down from any challenge. Like I said, you are going to have to prove to me. I am a fighter; I will keep fighting and will never give up." Marcus Smart

« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2013, 08:03:58 PM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
Undefined ?

It's a pretty easy strategy .

* Hire a darn good coach

* Get assets (9 first round picks in the next 5 years)

* Build around Rondo, Bradley, Green, Sully, & Olynyk to start. Let Fab continue developing down in the D-league for the next 3 years (judge him in 3 or 4 years)

* Clear roster space (cap)

* Build through the draft

* Trade assets for productive players for your system

* Sign free agents when necessary

His strategy is set on building a winner. He's done it before, & he'll do it again.

I see you #18

Thank god, someone realistic!
Like he said, the plan is simple.
No FA this summer, or maybe just cheap filler or vets that can help develop the younger players.
Just be patient and Danny will pull a contender team when the time is right.
Stop with "trade rondo", sign bynum, asik, blablabla...
Look at the reality!
It's called rebuilding with a big R.