Author Topic: What exactly is Danny's Strategy  (Read 6642 times)

What exactly is Danny's Strategy
« on: July 07, 2013, 04:34:10 PM »

Offline ABOS (A bit of Sanity)

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 13
The question I pose is what exactly is DA's strategy moving foward with this team. Currently I think that it is very undefined at this point. As a long time reader and newly a poster it's great to speculate about possible trades, FA signing, Additions and subtractions to the roster. But in actuality it's all for not until a more defined plan is laid out for the future of this team. Untill then while fun to talk about its all a bit for not.

It's impossible to say who will be a good add or subtraction to this roster when in fact I dnt think anyone really has a clue who's going to be on it come camp.

Right now DA is hamstrung on moves until July 12 because for now PP KG and the JET are still members of this team. Meaning you can't trade players such as Hump an Wallace till they are actully on the team.

Personally I think there is two legitimate posibile strategys for a complete rebuild which I think is needed.

1. Trade Rondo for your assets an or picks while shedding salary. This should help the team get a high pick in next years draft, and in my opinion isn't really tanking because the roster won't be talented enouth to win alot of games.

2. (Personally what I would do) Keeep rondo out as long as possible. Ideally most of the season. As for other moves try to shed as much salary as possible. Think what just happened between GS and Utah.  The team will lose alot of games and when rondo comes back the team will have not only cap room but hopefully a top 5 pick to go along with it.

Thoughts? And your strategies?

Re: What exactly is Danny's Strategy
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 04:55:50 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
You play Rondo when Rondo and the doctors say he is ready. Making Rondo unhappy would be the dumbest possible move for Danny since it would force him to end up trading Rondo at a discount.

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 04:56:05 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
Undefined ?

It's a pretty easy strategy .

* Hire a darn good coach

* Get assets (9 first round picks in the next 5 years)

* Build around Rondo, Bradley, Green, Sully, & Olynyk to start. Let Fab continue developing down in the D-league for the next 3 years (judge him in 3 or 4 years)

* Clear roster space (cap)

* Build through the draft

* Trade assets for productive players for your system

* Sign free agents when necessary

His strategy is set on building a winner. He's done it before, & he'll do it again.

I see you #18

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 05:02:57 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
1.) DON'T intentionally keep Rondo out, if he's ready to play

2.)Pick up a couple free agents. I mentioned in another post that I would love to see Monta Ellis and JJ Hickson on this team. PERFECT players for this roster. Ellis is a scorer and Hickson is a good young center/power forward.

3.)After that, attack the 2013-14 NBA season and shock the world kinda like Golden State did that year they were the 8th seed and beat Dallas in the first round.

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 05:08:45 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 350
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
Avoid free agency this offseason.
Develop youngsters and secure a high lottery pick during the season.
Draft a high impact player in the loaded 2014 draft.
Make a splash in the loaded 2014 free agency pool.
Compete in two years.

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 05:09:53 PM »

• Joe Mazzulla
Undefined ?

* Hire a darn good coach

* Build around Rondo, Bradley, Green, Sully, & Olynyk to start. Let Fab continue developing down in the D-league for the next 3 years (judge him in 3 or 4 years)

His strategy is set on building a winner. He's done it before, & he'll do it again.

I see you #18

While I think his long term goals are more defined. I think the short term are less. Is he tryin to put out a winner this year or not. The worst scenario for this team is put out a middle of the pack team which they currently have. If this team is picking in the late lottery or late teens for the next few years all these picks are meaningless. We have alot of picks but BKN picks won't be potentially high  untill 2017, 2018.

Clear roster space is ideal but we have yet to do that.

I think Stevens is a great hire, but is here to bring a mediocre team to the 2nd round or develeop a roster full of young players?

Also to say his strategy is to build a winner isn't much of a leap of faith. Who's strategy isn't that. Currently this roster is as far away from a championship since Ricky Davis played for us.

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2013, 05:13:48 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1409
  • Let's Go Celtics!

2.)Pick up a couple free agents. I mentioned in another post that I would love to see Monta Ellis and JJ Hickson on this team. PERFECT players for this roster. Ellis is a scorer and Hickson is a good young center/power forward.

3.)After that, attack the 2013-14 NBA season and shock the world kinda like Golden State did that year they were the 8th seed and beat Dallas in the first round.

I'd be shocked if Danny signed any FAs, let alone Monta Ellis.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2013, 05:15:04 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2526
Unlike the Lakers who can control their own destiny by creating cap space and patiently wait for the right FAs to become available or the right deals to come along, every other team needs to play a multi-headed game of luck with draft picks, asset acquisitions, 2nd tier FAs, and trades. 

C's will not be on any top FA's short list until they are contenders again.  They need to draft well and Danny needs to hit a trade jackpot (as with RA and KG).   Danny is putting himself in position to take advantage of whichever opportunities arise -- draft, FAs and trades.   So for now, it's mostly accumulate assets in young players with upside, tradable contracts, and draft picks.

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2013, 05:19:56 PM »

• Joe Mazzulla

I'd be shocked if Danny signed any FAs, let alone Monta Ellis.

Just a personal thought on Ellis while he can certainly score at an elite NBA level I think he's cancerous type of player. Not in locker room not sure how is there. He dominates the ball like pg but does not have Ast ability. Turns the ball over too much and shoots a low percentage. He will be a good player on Mediocre teams. While there were certainly other circumstances dnt think it's a coincidence GS took off with out him. When Steph became the man look where his game went too.

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2013, 05:30:24 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
cruz along develop the current GOOD younger players AB, Green , Sully and Kelly O.  with Rondo& B.  Stevens as their leaders ...

Don't want to add players like Josh Smith and ASik quality players  who would screw up the draft and make the Celtics just good enough to make the playoffs but , never a serious threat.

He is in no hurry,  see what is needed,  develop the coach ,  SHOWCASE WALLACE , Kardashian , Lee,  ext   and trade them for picks , money , whatever to direct the team towards 2 years of drafting and trading to assemble a contender . 

Establish a solid foundation of young players guided by a defensive minded coach .... add a FA super or two

Go contend.

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2013, 05:30:33 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
Undefined ?

* Hire a darn good coach

I see you #18

While I think his long term goals are more defined. I think the short term are less. Is he tryin to put out a winner this year or not. The worst scenario for this team is put out a middle of the pack team which they currently have. If this team is picking in the late lottery or late teens for the next few years all these picks are meaningless. We have alot of picks but BKN picks won't be potentially high  untill 2017, 2018.

I think Stevens is a great hire, but is here to bring a mediocre team to the 2nd round or develeop a roster full of young players?

Also to say his strategy is to build a winner isn't much of a leap of faith. Who's strategy isn't that. Currently this roster is as far away from a championship since Ricky Davis played for us.

No, he's not trying to put out a winner if you're talking championship. Contending for the 7/8 spot in the East, yes.

The picks there won't be meaningless because you can always find talent that helps your team at those draft positions. He's done it with the likes of Tony Allen, Rondo, & Sullinger.

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2013, 05:33:02 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Compete in two years.

Problem with relying on the draft is you could just as easily draft Kwame Brown as you could Lebron James.

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2013, 05:42:04 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1409
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Compete in two years.

This seems to be the strategy. Although I should mention the whole 2014 free agency is hot air. I don't think everyone opts out, and those that do will likely resign (LBJ, Wade, Bosh, Melo). And  a lot of the big name younger guys are restricted (Paul George, John Wall, Cousins)
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2013, 05:46:05 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
The strategy, as I see it, is pretty simple.  Accumulate as many trade assets (including 1st round draft picks) as possible. 

Play the young players and give them a chance to show their abilities, try to build up their trade value.  This means giving minutes to Avery Bradley, not signing Monta Ellis even if Ellis would make us marginally better in the short-term.

Have the ability to execute a big trade in the future - meaning either cap space (unlikely), traded-player exemptions, or expiring contracts.

Basically, be ready and able to take advantages of opportunities when they present themselves.  TRADE opportunities; Danny's a trader at heart, and free agency is always tough.  Free agency means overpaying for your guys, when he'd rather be able to acquire a player via trade at a discount.  He had the valuable young assets/draft picks to grab Ray Allen, and to take advantage of KG's finally wanting to be OUT of 'Sota, and the expiring contracts to make a deal work logistically.

Antoine called Danny a "snake," and that's kind of how I think of him; waiting in the weeds for a big opportunity to present itself.  In the meantime, accumulate as many trade chips as possible.

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2013, 05:53:31 PM »

• Joe Mazzulla
Undefined ?

* Hire a darn good coach

I see you #18

No, he's not trying to put out a winner if you're talking championship. Contending for the 7/8 spot in the East, yes.

The picks there won't be meaningless because you can always find talent that helps your team at those draft positions. He's done it with the likes of Tony Allen, Rondo, & Sullinger.

While I respect the opionion of wanting to see a semi competitive team. Rather than a team that loses 50+ games. I feel as though that's the formula to build an average team. I think it's fair to say most would rather bear a few years of bad but exciting uptempo bball in order to possibly drastically change the course of the team through the draft. Rather than building a team stuck in mediocrity for a decade.

While te good GMs can find talent in the 20s if you were to ask any of them
That's not where they would like to be picking unless they are competing for a championship. The talent there is very difficult to find