Author Topic: Summer league thoughts  (Read 11486 times)

Re: Summer league thoughts
« Reply #60 on: July 08, 2013, 01:40:38 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
I can't wait for Oly to get into a real NBA training regiment. He obviously won't turn into an athletic freak, but he can improve his core strength, lateral movement and vertical with the right kind of work. That'd be scary.

« Reply #61 on: July 08, 2013, 01:46:08 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
The part of Oly's game that will immediately get better is his rebounding.  He doesn't shy away from contact & will learn what it takes to get better at that department.  He's not as bad as some on here are making it 1 summer league game in.  He'll be able to rebound just fine IMO.

Defense, lateral movement, that will all get better as well once the team D is installed.  He'll have a better idea of what he needs to do at that point.  For now, its just a pickup game with players using there speed to get by him on the perimeter.  That will change come real time & once the work is put in.

Believe me, we have a bball junkie here that will put in the work needed to get better in the spots he needs to improve on.
Rebounding is the last thing that will get better... if ever. It's about anticipation where the ball is going and quick reaction, and he seems to lack both. For what it's worth, rebounding is typically considered a skill that translates well from college to the pros -- so if he wasn't a good rebounder in college, I don't see how he will miraculously become one in the NBA.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #62 on: July 08, 2013, 01:53:55 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
The part of Oly's game that will immediately get better is his rebounding.  He doesn't shy away from contact & will learn what it takes to get better at that department.  He's not as bad as some on here are making it 1 summer league game in.  He'll be able to rebound just fine IMO.

Defense, lateral movement, that will all get better as well once the team D is installed.  He'll have a better idea of what he needs to do at that point.  For now, its just a pickup game with players using there speed to get by him on the perimeter.  That will change come real time & once the work is put in.

Believe me, we have a bball junkie here that will put in the work needed to get better in the spots he needs to improve on.
Rebounding is the last thing that will get better... if ever. It's about anticipation where the ball is going and quick reaction, and he seems to lack both. For what it's worth, rebounding is typically considered a skill that translates well from college to the pros -- so if he wasn't a good rebounder in college, I don't see how he will miraculously become one in the NBA.

That's just it, he wasn't a poor rebounder in college.  I don't know where this speculation comes from, I assume based on his athletic ability.  The guy was 7th in his conference with 7 rebounds per, and did it in only 25 minutes per game.

Once the defensive system is installed, he'll know where to be and what his assignment is.  His rebounding will be fine once that is set in stone.  It wasn't a liability in college and it won't be here.

« Reply #63 on: July 08, 2013, 02:03:34 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
That's just it, he wasn't a poor rebounder in college.
He had a 16.5 rebounding percentage as a senior, 15.6 overall for his college career. For comparison, the NCAA leader had 22.5 TRB% last season, and the NBA leader (Asik) -- 22.

So maybe not poor, but decidedly average (given that the average NBA center that plays 20+ minutes rebounds at ~16.5 clip, I'd be happy if Olynyk manages to replicate his college stats with the pros).
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #64 on: July 08, 2013, 02:06:24 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
I mean... as soon as I saw the "OMG DANNY IS AN IDIOT FOR DRAFTING OLY" threads, I predicted that by Summerleague half the forum would be comparing him to Dirk.  Very predictable.  It's easy to get excited when it's a white boy knocking down shots against weak competition.  Gotta keep reminding yourself that in Summerleague, players like Joe Forte look like hall of famers.  If you're a top pick and you're not dropping 20 a night, that's cause for concern.

But really, he looks good.  Seems to have good form.  Solid footwork.  I had read yesterday a quote that said he was an above-average passer and he seemed to live up to that today.  He seems to be able to score in a variety of ways.   He handles the ball pretty well.

He's got almost no explosiveness, though and he's not a great rebounder or defender.  He'll struggle against quicker/athletic players in the bigs.  But he didn't look like a wasted pick this morning.  He looked like a lotto talent.   It's going to be fun watching him develop.

As someone else mentioned, it is RARE to have big men shine in the summer league games!!!  Guards usually shine and that doesn't always translate to the big league as you aptly pointed out with Joe Forte.  (Another UNC disappointment:-)))))

Smitty77
Fwiw, Sully kind of stunk in summer league last year so you're probably right.  Sully shot like 30%. 

In 5 summer league games for the Clippers last year, Adam Morrison averaged 20 points with 55%/61%/80% shooting percentages.  Just sayin.

He shot 40% from the floor and 90% at the line and averaged almost a double/double at 11 and 9!!

http://www.nba.com/summer-league/2012/players/sl_jared_sullinger/index.html

Smitty77

« Reply #65 on: July 08, 2013, 02:10:08 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
I mean... as soon as I saw the "OMG DANNY IS AN IDIOT FOR DRAFTING OLY" threads, I predicted that by Summerleague half the forum would be comparing him to Dirk.  Very predictable.  It's easy to get excited when it's a white boy knocking down shots against weak competition.  Gotta keep reminding yourself that in Summerleague, players like Joe Forte look like hall of famers.  If you're a top pick and you're not dropping 20 a night, that's cause for concern.

But really, he looks good.  Seems to have good form.  Solid footwork.  I had read yesterday a quote that said he was an above-average passer and he seemed to live up to that today.  He seems to be able to score in a variety of ways.   He handles the ball pretty well.

He's got almost no explosiveness, though and he's not a great rebounder or defender.  He'll struggle against quicker/athletic players in the bigs.  But he didn't look like a wasted pick this morning.  He looked like a lotto talent.   It's going to be fun watching him develop.

As someone else mentioned, it is RARE to have big men shine in the summer league games!!!  Guards usually shine and that doesn't always translate to the big league as you aptly pointed out with Joe Forte.  (Another UNC disappointment:-)))))

Smitty77
Fwiw, Sully kind of stunk in summer league last year so you're probably right.  Sully shot like 30%. 

In 5 summer league games for the Clippers last year, Adam Morrison averaged 20 points with 55%/61%/80% shooting percentages.  Just sayin.

He shot 40% from the floor and 90% at the line and averaged almost a double/double at 11 and 9!!

Smitty77
He shot .400 in Orlando, and .300 in Vegas. I don't think averaging 12 and 8 (which is not "almost a double-double") can compensate for his horrific efficiency.

« Reply #66 on: July 08, 2013, 02:28:30 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Olynyk nba rebounding avg will remain about 7 a game. Maybe at his best 8 and some games he gets double digits.

He needs to be paired with a guy who can at least rebound.  Like Chandler and Nowitzki combo. And fortunately we got a beast rebounder in Sullinger. Humphries is also competent.

« Reply #67 on: July 08, 2013, 05:01:50 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
- olynyk again the mvp of game 2. Only 13 pts and 6 rebounds, but he had three key buckets in the third to propel the celts for the win.

- Pressey full press defense in the 1st was ABesque.

- Iverson looks like a Edited for profanity.  Please do not do it again. to play against. Hustle, bumps, bruises, rebounds. Moves really well now vs the clips on youtube. Really like his game

- Another forgettable night for Melo.  Just lack of impact and two dunks blocked. At least he drew three charges. It's kind of funny if you think about it

- Celtics played much better vs Det than Orl. Defense was intense

« Reply #68 on: July 08, 2013, 05:46:37 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
- olynyk again the mvp of game 2. Only 13 pts and 6 rebounds, but he had three key buckets in the third to propel the celts for the win.

- Pressey full press defense in the 1st was ABesque.

- Iverson looks like a **** to play against. Hustle, bumps, bruises, rebounds. Moves really well now vs the clips on youtube. Really like his game

- Another forgettable night for Melo.  Just lack of impact and two dunks blocked. At least he drew three charges. It's kind of funny if you think about it

- Celtics played much better vs Det than Orl. Defense was intense

In fairness to Fab, he barely was out there.  I think he only played like 18 minutes or so.  6 pts, 3 rebounds in limited action with a couple block shots, and also took 3 charges.

I thought he did ok for the limited time he was out there.

« Reply #69 on: July 08, 2013, 05:53:17 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Myck Kabongo doesn't seem to know where to be on defense.  Lot of athleticism, but not in the right positions.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #70 on: July 08, 2013, 06:20:42 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Smitty77

Smitty77
He shot .400 in Orlando, and .300 in Vegas. I don't think averaging 12 and 8 (which is not "almost a double-double") can compensate for his horrific efficiency.

I recall him being overly fatigued during the Summer League last year.

« Reply #71 on: July 08, 2013, 06:26:05 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
In fairness to Fab, he barely was out there.  I think he only played like 18 minutes or so.  6 pts, 3 rebounds in limited action with a couple block shots, and also took 3 charges.

Iverson was a +29 PER and had 5 boards in 13 minutes.  He deserves some PT next game.   Melo has improved offensively that is obvious but is still suspect on the boards.  Melo was  a +3 PER today.

Nice to see some improvement ( on the offensive end) but he is one of the worst seven foot rebounders I have ever seen.

« Reply #72 on: July 08, 2013, 06:30:52 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
I'm surprised how fluid KO is.  Him being a PG until a HS junior year growth sports explains a lot. The NAB is about either skill or power.  Very few bigs have enough size and power, along with some skill, to score consistently.  Very few bigs have perimeter skills and great size like KO. 

I can see why Ainge traded up for him.  With his three point game and driving ability, he's going to be a handful for bigger covers, and he has enough McHale like post moves to punish smaller covers.  I look forward to seeing Olynyk against real NAB players.   

« Reply #73 on: July 08, 2013, 07:12:30 PM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367

Iverson was a +29 PER and had 5 boards in 13 minutes.  He deserves some PT next game.   Melo has improved offensively that is obvious but is still suspect on the boards.  Melo was  a +3 PER today.

Nice to see some improvement ( on the offensive end) but he is one of the worst seven foot rebounders I have ever seen.

Raw +/- numbers in a summer league game? That's not a very useful stat.

Like aingeforfree said, he didn't look to bad and filled up on charges and blocks.

« Reply #74 on: July 08, 2013, 07:37:02 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

Smitty77

Smitty77

I recall him being overly fatigued during the Summer League last year.

Sully shot .347 in FG% and .773 on FTs in summer league last year.  The best he did was in rebounding, at 8.4 per game in about 27 minutes per game.

Olynyk has been rebounding at just about the same rate, with 13 boards in 48 minutes so far, but that's been the least of his contributions, as he's shot .667 so far, including .500 from the 3 (compared to Sully's .166 from the 3) and 1.00 on FTs, and has been passing up a storm.  They showed some different strengths and weaknesses on defense.

But I think it's fair to say Olynyk has significantly outpaced Sully's summer league showing last year.  (To be fair, Olynyk is two years older than Sully was then.)