Author Topic: Summer league thoughts  (Read 11501 times)

Re: Summer league thoughts
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2013, 03:16:28 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
I never saw much to JJJ. ever from day 1. 
KO. ....much taller, has nice form, passes good , and looks like he knows what to do with the ball ,  much like Sully does,  not scared of the moment

JJJ. was in over his head ,  slow thinking,  poor dribbler, and not very confident..........

KO  has a bright upside.   , for a 16 round pick.  he  is not bad at all.

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2013, 03:24:22 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
its scary how similar he is to jajuan johnson in terms of strengths and weaknesses. jajuan may even be better as he was athletic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bU29ChYLinc

olynyk? don't see that at all
olynyk = jumpshooting big with weak defense.
jajuan = jump shooting big with weak defense.

olynyk can take it to the hole better, but jajuan was a better dunker.

KO has a better stronger base then Johnson did by his second year. Thats were the strength to hold off you man comes from. I think just adding 5 to 10 pounds of muscle will be about right. Don't want him too big.

KO's A better shooter, passer, and has WAY better basketball IQ. Has more offensive moves and isn't scared to bang or take the shot.

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2013, 03:26:19 PM »

Offline ABOS (A bit of Sanity)

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 13
Overall thoughts

Alot of good college players but not pros on this team (N.Smith, Johnson-Odom)

Olynyk proving he is NBA ready and can make a positive influence on this team this year. Although he has along way to go on the defensive end.

Fab- Say what you want about him as a future prospect there was a clear improvement over last year. (Granted he couldn't really go any where but up) showed a semblance of an offensive game and protected the rim decently.

Pressey- have seen him play since he was in HS. He has a chance to make the roster. As far as talent goes he's probally just behind KO for most talent on the team. Obviously needs to reduce turnovers but he's lightning quick, plus tough D and has above average passing abilities. He will play in the NBA one day on this team or another

Mitchell- as avertized. He's a good player against lesser talent.

Iverson- he's a project plays good D and hard worker (Watch tape against Mizzou) don't see much of an offensive game now that he cannot overpower lesser players like at CSU.

Didn't see much else out there worth mentioning

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2013, 04:12:32 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I mean... as soon as I saw the "OMG DANNY IS AN IDIOT FOR DRAFTING OLY" threads, I predicted that by Summerleague half the forum would be comparing him to Dirk.  Very predictable.  It's easy to get excited when it's a white boy knocking down shots against weak competition.  Gotta keep reminding yourself that in Summerleague, players like Joe Forte look like hall of famers.  If you're a top pick and you're not dropping 20 a night, that's cause for concern.

But really, he looks good.  Seems to have good form.  Solid footwork.  I had read yesterday a quote that said he was an above-average passer and he seemed to live up to that today.  He seems to be able to score in a variety of ways.   He handles the ball pretty well.

He's got almost no explosiveness, though and he's not a great rebounder or defender.  He'll struggle against quicker/athletic players in the bigs.  But he didn't look like a wasted pick this morning.  He looked like a lotto talent.   It's going to be fun watching him develop. 

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2013, 04:15:42 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
I mean... as soon as I saw the "OMG DANNY IS AN IDIOT FOR DRAFTING OLY" threads, I predicted that by Summerleague half the forum would be comparing him to Dirk.  Very predictable.  It's easy to get excited when it's a white boy knocking down shots against weak competition.  Gotta keep reminding yourself that in Summerleague, players like Joe Forte look like hall of famers.  If you're a top pick and you're not dropping 20 a night, that's cause for concern.

But really, he looks good.  Seems to have good form.  Solid footwork.  I had read yesterday a quote that said he was an above-average passer and he seemed to live up to that today.  He seems to be able to score in a variety of ways.   He handles the ball pretty well.

He's got almost no explosiveness, though and he's not a great rebounder or defender.  He'll struggle against quicker/athletic players in the bigs.  But he didn't look like a wasted pick this morning.  He looked like a lotto talent.   It's going to be fun watching him develop.

Actually, not that many players average 20 in the summer league and certainly not that many bigs.  He showed a good range of stuff today, though yeah, he's got some defensive weaknesses.

« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2013, 04:17:27 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Pressey looked decent for the guards.   But summer league guards are little more than chucksters taking ill advised shots.

Oly can play but he will have to work on his footspeed as he had six fouls.  His shot was amazing.

Yes, he had 6 fouls, but at least two of those were BOGUS!!  If I remember correctly, he got called for a charge after he passed the ball.  (I have NEVER liked that to be called, whether for us or against us!!!)  When he was charged for the block, it was a charge IF his feet were out of the circle.  The replay was unclear.

Smitty77

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2013, 04:20:14 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
its scary how similar he is to jajuan johnson in terms of strengths and weaknesses. jajuan may even be better as he was athletic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bU29ChYLinc

olynyk? don't see that at all
olynyk = jumpshooting big with weak defense.
jajuan = jump shooting big with weak defense.

olynyk can take it to the hole better, but jajuan was a better dunker.

Oylnyk = HIGH b-ball IQ
Jajuan = rather LOW b-ball IQ

HUGE Difference!!!!!!!!!!!!

Smitty77

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2013, 04:23:23 PM »

Offline jpd985

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41
JJJ never really shined in the SL either. KO in his first game played better than JJJ ever did in SL.

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2013, 04:24:27 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
Olynyk =/ JaJuan

I was routing for JaJuan as much as anyone; but they are completely different players. Olynyk is a winner and will do whatever it takes.

« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2013, 04:31:56 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
Olynyk has a ton of skills & ability.  Still many things to work on, but man, 3 years down the road, can't wait to see his game. It will be completely different than it looks now,yet the great looking shot will still be there. Great pick and nobody can doubt him as the work effort is there for this player to be great.

Melo has improved albeit slightly. Looked more athletic on some rebounds, & his rotations were a bit more fluid. Still a long way ago but again, 3 years from now we might have a decent backup center option who can come in for 10-15 mins, rebound, block shots, play solid D, & give us 4 fouls when needed.

Need to see more of Iverson & his game to comment. Not much run for Colton today.

The horrid play of the guards don't help when evaluating our bigs.

« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2013, 04:35:41 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

Why does it matter if he is white or not??  He has a high b-ball IQ, period.  I could care less if he is white or black or purple like Barney.  Come on now!!

Secondly, he was doing this vs. Nicholson who many on this board have sung his praises.  He had an over 8 Efficiency for the year!!!

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/andrew_nicholson/index.html?nav=page

Mo Harkless was almost a +10 for the year!!

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/maurice_harkless/index.html?nav=page

Kyle O'Quinn was almost a +7 for the year.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/kyle_oquinn/index.html?nav=page

Not to mention the fact that the highly touted #2 pick in the draft played over 33 minutes (granted not matching up with Kelly!)!!

The above three players are ALL established NBA players.  I would NOT quantify the above as WEAK COMPETITION!!!!!

Smitty77

« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2013, 04:38:58 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

As someone else mentioned, it is RARE to have big men shine in the summer league games!!!  Guards usually shine and that doesn't always translate to the big league as you aptly pointed out with Joe Forte.  (Another UNC disappointment:-)))))

Smitty77

« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2013, 04:40:53 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
KO  has a bright upside.   , for a 16 round pick.  he  is not bad at all.
Olynyk was picked 13th. In the first round, no less :)
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2013, 03:22:37 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Tomorrow should be a fun game.   They are playing Detroit.  Drummond had 12 points, 16 rebounds, 6 blocks and 5 steals in 25 minutes tonight.

« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2013, 03:25:33 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

As someone else mentioned, it is RARE to have big men shine in the summer league games!!!  Guards usually shine and that doesn't always translate to the big league as you aptly pointed out with Joe Forte.  (Another UNC disappointment:-)))))

Smitty77
Fwiw, Sully kind of stunk in summer league last year so you're probably right.  Sully shot like 30%. 

In 5 summer league games for the Clippers last year, Adam Morrison averaged 20 points with 55%/61%/80% shooting percentages.  Just sayin.