Author Topic: Summer league thoughts  (Read 11502 times)

Re: Summer league thoughts
« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2013, 10:46:47 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Jjj =29th pick
Oly =13th pick

No comparison. The end. Please fans watch some games with olynyk b4 making out of this world assumptions

Because there's such a large volume of them, especially against NBA competition... ::)
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2013, 10:54:46 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Every one knew Olynyk could shoot. That's not what people were concerned about. It's that he won't be able to defend and rebound in NBA - he's soft. Soft bigs aren't effective - I find them rather annoying and, objectively, they're shopped around the league throughout their careers.

Pau gasol and Dirk would disagree

Can't mention those two names in a thread about Olynyk.

Hahah- I think I have yet to see and Olynyk thread where someone DOESN'T mention Nowitzki. Maybe we could all try to stick to less accomplished soft-white-seven-foot-shooters? You probably have Andrea Bargnani in mind?

KO himself has said that Dirk is a favorite player whose game comes closest to what he's modeled his own after.

« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2013, 11:07:04 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Jjj =29th pick
Oly =13th pick

No comparison. The end. Please fans watch some games with olynyk b4 making out of this world assumptions

Because there's such a large volume of them, especially against NBA competition... ::)

It's irrelevant because they just aren't similar players at all.  It's a stretch of a comparison.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2013, 11:08:40 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
I didn't see the game but all the reports are that KO can at least defend the post.  If that holds true, it seems far more likely that he'll bulk up and play the 5 rather than meet Danny's dream of being a stretch 4.

Mike

« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2013, 11:14:01 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
My thoughts are Kelly O I think, offensively is NBA ready. Needs to work on defense, but he's smart, with Brad Stevens and analytics and his smarts he can figure out how to defend even though he's slow.

He's very sound offensively, and I want to give credit to who said this (I forgot who you are) but someone said he's so natural, I very much agree. I think a couple of pre season games and he's very well adjusted.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2013, 11:22:20 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
Every one knew Olynyk could shoot. That's not what people were concerned about. It's that he won't be able to defend and rebound in NBA - he's soft. Soft bigs aren't effective - I find them rather annoying and, objectively, they're shopped around the league throughout their careers.

Pau gasol and Dirk would disagree

Can't mention those two names in a thread about Olynyk.

Hahah- I think I have yet to see and Olynyk thread where someone DOESN'T mention Nowitzki. Maybe we could all try to stick to less accomplished soft-white-seven-foot-shooters? You probably have Andrea Bargnani in mind?

How about a 7 foot, lesser-rebounding Ersan Ilyasova?

I don't think Ilyasova has the guard skills that Olynyk does. They're both stretch 4's but very different.

I still insist Bargnani with his head screwed on right and less talented physically is probably the closest comparison in terms of caliber and style. Even then it's not a completely apt comparison.

Gasol and Nowitzki are comparisons because they are, after all, 7 footers with guard skills and actually actively employ these skills as a major part of their game(so no Anthony Davis).

Kukoc? Depending on how much Olynyk can use his skills in the league, maybe a poor man's Kukoc.

Diaw probably compares nicely because of his weird measurements for a big (being the other way round, undersized with huge wingspan) and his weird amalgamation of skills.

Also, Scola is a likely case scenario - if Olynyk's skills don't transfer.

He's just bizarre with his range, measurements, athleticism (he's quick but he can't jump and isn't laterally quick?), his defense (a subpar defender so far but hustles? What!?).

To quote someone, hopefully Olynyk will be the first Olynyk, as in he makes a name for himself, not the second Nowitzki. Much like Rondo is the first Rondo.

« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2013, 11:31:05 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I didn't see the game but all the reports are that KO can at least defend the post.  If that holds true, it seems far more likely that he'll bulk up and play the 5 rather than meet Danny's dream of being a stretch 4.
The pre-draft scouting report says he gets pushed around.

Given how he lacks defensive and rebounding instincts to go with his poor lateral speed, I think it's much more likely that he'll end up at the 4, paired with a strong defensive center.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2013, 11:32:48 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen

Given how he lacks defensive and rebounding instincts to go with his poor lateral speed, I think it's much more likely that he'll end up at the 4, paired with a strong defensive center.

David Locke's scouting report says Olynyk has good defensive instincts, though.

Well, to be more exact, it says that Olynyk is a smart defender.

« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2013, 11:42:36 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

The Draft Express report shows multiple instances of poor showing on picks, not being aware of where the open man is going or where the rebound is bouncing to. I just don't anticipate he'll ever have the physical or mental tools to anchor a team's defense from the 5 position -- but maybe I'm wrong.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #54 on: July 08, 2013, 11:54:15 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen

The Draft Express report shows multiple instances of poor showing on picks, not being aware of where the open man is going or where the rebound is bouncing to. I just don't anticipate he'll ever have the physical or mental tools to anchor a team's defense from the 5 position -- but maybe I'm wrong.

That I agree. He probably can't anchor a defense.

But the Locke video showed the exact opposite. A smart defender. What was shown in the video was actually quite impressive. Like Sully, he doesn't have the tools to be a great defender but he looked above average because of his smarts.

If the Locke video is true, he'd be a great small ball 5 with the great added benefit of not being a defensive liability.

« Reply #55 on: July 08, 2013, 12:12:19 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Didn't see this posted yesterday or today, but here are KO highlights from Sunday:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ps3RqEE1E0w
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2013, 12:14:08 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I wish they had some of his passes in there because that's translating even better than I hoped/thought it would.

He had that nice backdoor pass but also some nice lobs over top to Melo who couldn't finish them, but they were there for sure.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2013, 12:19:59 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja

good call. olynyk's best bet is to slim down, not bulk up. add muscle so as to maximize what jumping ability he does possess. for defense, he needs to be paired with a shot blocking center so they can pick up offensive players blowing by olynyk.

who knows? maybe melo and olynyk will be a great team someday.  :)

olynyk should come off the bench of a championship team, not start.

but off the bench he will do very well since all the other powerforwards will be bench players and therefore have some sort of flaw or shortcoming. against those match ups olynyk's shooting and passing will excel.

olynyk's flaws - lack of agility, jumping, etc. - won't harm him as much against most bench pf. indeed, give that he is about 2-3 inches taller than most powerforwards, he might be a very serviceable rebounder against other bench players.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 12:26:57 PM by hwangjini_1 »
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2013, 12:26:09 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
Didn't see this posted yesterday or today, but here are KO highlights from Sunday:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ps3RqEE1E0w

geez, i can see why people were excited after the first SL game. olynyk may not be able to jump worth a darn, but he sure can score.

in the video, his first set of moves down low were impressive. he reminded me a bit of mchale. and later on, his hook shot is unstoppable...IF he can make it consistently.

so, after a single SL game are we ready to nominatine olly for the nba hall of fame yet?  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #59 on: July 08, 2013, 01:34:28 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
The part of Oly's game that will immediately get better is his rebounding.  He doesn't shy away from contact & will learn what it takes to get better at that department.  He's not as bad as some on here are making it 1 summer league game in.  He'll be able to rebound just fine IMO.

Defense, lateral movement, that will all get better as well once the team D is installed.  He'll have a better idea of what he needs to do at that point.  For now, its just a pickup game with players using there speed to get by him on the perimeter.  That will change come real time & once the work is put in.

Believe me, we have a bball junkie here that will put in the work needed to get better in the spots he needs to improve on.