Author Topic: Summer league thoughts  (Read 11489 times)

Re: Summer league thoughts
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2013, 03:38:43 AM »

Offline jr_3421

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
I didn't think KO looked soft at all on defense. He played pretty good post defense imo, but when they started attacking him from the perimeter he couldn't stay in front of them. I think he'll be fine adjusting.
"In the 4th quarter I'm whole different player"

-Paul Pierce

« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2013, 05:25:22 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Summer League, that weird space that's not stocked quite as openly disillusioned as the D-League but features a similar skill level.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2013, 06:51:43 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
I mean... as soon as I saw the "OMG DANNY IS AN IDIOT FOR DRAFTING OLY" threads, I predicted that by Summerleague half the forum would be comparing him to Dirk.  Very predictable.  It's easy to get excited when it's a white boy knocking down shots against weak competition.  Gotta keep reminding yourself that in Summerleague, players like Joe Forte look like hall of famers.  If you're a top pick and you're not dropping 20 a night, that's cause for concern.

But really, he looks good.  Seems to have good form.  Solid footwork.  I had read yesterday a quote that said he was an above-average passer and he seemed to live up to that today.  He seems to be able to score in a variety of ways.   He handles the ball pretty well.

He's got almost no explosiveness, though and he's not a great rebounder or defender.  He'll struggle against quicker/athletic players in the bigs.  But he didn't look like a wasted pick this morning.  He looked like a lotto talent.   It's going to be fun watching him develop.

As someone else mentioned, it is RARE to have big men shine in the summer league games!!!  Guards usually shine and that doesn't always translate to the big league as you aptly pointed out with Joe Forte.  (Another UNC disappointment:-)))))

Smitty77
Fwiw, Sully kind of stunk in summer league last year so you're probably right.  Sully shot like 30%. 

In 5 summer league games for the Clippers last year, Adam Morrison averaged 20 points with 55%/61%/80% shooting percentages.  Just sayin.

Morrison was also a 27yo, three-year NBA veteran, small forward.

« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2013, 07:32:27 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I didn't think KO looked soft at all on defense. He played pretty good post defense imo, but when they started attacking him from the perimeter he couldn't stay in front of them. I think he'll be fine adjusting.

Yep, he has slow feet and needs to play off his man.  So did Larry but he got by with anticipation.

« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2013, 08:55:08 AM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
Every one knew Olynyk could shoot. That's not what people were concerned about. It's that he won't be able to defend and rebound in NBA - he's soft. Soft bigs aren't effective - I find them rather annoying and, objectively, they're shopped around the league throughout their careers.

Pau gasol and Dirk would disagree

Can't mention those two names in a thread about Olynyk.

Hahah- I think I have yet to see and Olynyk thread where someone DOESN'T mention Nowitzki. Maybe we could all try to stick to less accomplished soft-white-seven-foot-shooters? You probably have Andrea Bargnani in mind?

« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2013, 09:05:36 AM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
Tomorrow should be a fun game.   They are playing Detroit.  Drummond had 12 points, 16 rebounds, 6 blocks and 5 steals in 25 minutes tonight.

Agreed. Drummond eviscerated everyone yesterday. If Fab Melo can hold his ground even a little bit, I will stop hating.

He won't, though. I'm afraid that Mr. Drummond is going to filet Fab Melo today. If you thought yesterday was ugly against a Magic team without any 7-footers, whooooboy.

Go get him, Colton.

« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2013, 09:29:59 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Every one knew Olynyk could shoot. That's not what people were concerned about. It's that he won't be able to defend and rebound in NBA - he's soft. Soft bigs aren't effective - I find them rather annoying and, objectively, they're shopped around the league throughout their careers.

Hahah- I think I have yet to see and Olynyk thread where someone DOESN'T mention Nowitzki. Maybe we could all try to stick to less accomplished soft-white-seven-foot-shooters? You probably have Andrea Bargnani in mind?

Sure. Bargnani is longer (Olynyk has a 6'9" wingspan) and more explosive going to the basket, though.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2013, 09:39:24 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367

Sure. Bargnani is longer (Olynyk has a 6'9" wingspan) and more explosive going to the basket, though.

I've been saying:

Less physically talented (wingspan and quickness) Bargnani

with an even more unique skillset (having been a PG right until he got into Gonzaga I believe - has legit PG skills some say)

and a far better mindset it seems,

allowing him to be a decent rebounder so far it seems(including the SL)

and have the hope of being a solid defender.

I'd say Olynyk can be a Bargnani that's fulfilled 60, 70,  maybe even 80, 85% of his potential instead of being a scrub bum.

« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2013, 09:46:20 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

I've been saying:

Less physically talented (wingspan and quickness) Bargnani

with an even more unique skillset (having been a PG right until he got into Gonzaga I believe - has legit PG skills some say)

and a far better mindset it seems,

allowing him to be a decent rebounder so far it seems(including the SL)

and have the hope of being a solid defender.

I'd say Olynyk can be a Bargnani that's fulfilled 60, 70,  maybe even 80, 85% of his potential instead of being a scrub bum.

Yep, I'm with you. Seems like his work ethic will go a long way for him. Interested to see how he develops and learns to utilize his unique skill set.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2013, 10:03:09 AM »

Offline MetroGlobe

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
its scary how similar he is to jajuan johnson in terms of strengths and weaknesses. jajuan may even be better as he was athletic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bU29ChYLinc

olynyk? don't see that at all
olynyk = jumpshooting big with weak defense.
jajuan = jump shooting big with weak defense.

olynyk can take it to the hole better, but jajuan was a better dunker.

JuJuan Johnson was defensive player of the year in the Big 10 the year he was drafted.  Your assertion is way off.  Sure, he was a physically weak dude.  But in college defense and jump shooting were his calling cards.

« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2013, 10:05:30 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
... why are you guys comparing JJJ and Olynyk?  They aren't even similar players.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2013, 10:11:27 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
its scary how similar he is to jajuan johnson in terms of strengths and weaknesses. jajuan may even be better as he was athletic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bU29ChYLinc

olynyk? don't see that at all
olynyk = jumpshooting big with weak defense.
jajuan = jump shooting big with weak defense.

olynyk can take it to the hole better, but jajuan was a better dunker.

JuJuan Johnson was defensive player of the year in the Big 10 the year he was drafted.  Your assertion is way off.  Sure, he was a physically weak dude.  But in college defense and jump shooting were his calling cards.

3J has so far just been too weak to defend against NBA 4's, however, and not agile enough to adapt out to the 3.  KO already has more height, bulk, lower-body and maybe even upper-body strength than 3J.  Also, though KO doesn't have especially broad shoulders, he's got far more room for bulk and muscle in there than 3J has.  And their BBIQs, apparent work ethic, and leadership don't begin to compare.

« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2013, 10:34:49 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Jjj =29th pick
Oly =13th pick

No comparison. The end. Please fans watch some games with olynyk b4 making out of this world assumptions

« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2013, 10:36:47 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Olynyk reminded me a bit of Motiejunas from last year's summer league.

Looks like Olynyk is a purer long distance jump-shooter though.

« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2013, 10:45:20 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

How about a 7 foot, lesser-rebounding Ersan Ilyasova?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain