Author Topic: Summer league thoughts  (Read 11503 times)

Summer league thoughts
« on: July 07, 2013, 01:59:31 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
A few things I got from today's game.

Olynyk can play.  Period.  Anyone who thought DA wasted a pick is sorely mistaken.  And yes, I understand its only the first summer league game.  But you can tell fairly quickly when I guy can play.

And speaking of wasted picks, Melo still has a ways to go.  And our SL guards are pretty much the suck.

Re: Summer league thoughts
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 02:32:21 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 365
I see Olynyk as a poor mans Dirk...very offensively skilled...weak on defense...people who didnt like the pick was because of his lack of athleticism(kind of like sullinger) but Ill take skill/bbIQ over athleticism any day

he'll contribute right away(almost because we have no other options though.

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 02:34:50 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 350
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
Ainge wasn't lying when he said this kid is smart and NBA-ready. Looks like another gem of a pick to add to Ainge's growing list of draft pick successes.

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 02:40:47 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Pressey looked decent for the guards.   But summer league guards are little more than chucksters taking ill advised shots.

Oly can play but he will have to work on his footspeed as he had six fouls.  His shot was amazing.   

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 02:45:57 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Every one knew Olynyk could shoot. That's not what people were concerned about. It's that he won't be able to defend and rebound in NBA - he's soft. Soft bigs aren't effective - I find them rather annoying and, objectively, they're shopped around the league throughout their careers.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 02:47:30 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 365
Every one knew Olynyk could shoot. That's not what people were concerned about. It's that he won't be able to defend and rebound in NBA - he's soft. Soft bigs aren't effective - I find them rather annoying and, objectively, they're shopped around the league throughout their careers.

Pau gasol and Dirk would disagree

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2013, 02:50:33 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

Can't mention those two names in a thread about Olynyk.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2013, 02:52:40 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 350
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
Pressey looked decent for the guards.   But summer league guards are little more than chucksters taking ill advised shots.

Oly can play but he will have to work on his footspeed as he had six fouls.  His shot was amazing.

Guards traditionally tear up the summer league. The fact that Pressey could only be "decent" speaks volumes. I honestly don't like his prospects in the NBA.

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2013, 02:56:09 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Kelly is a nice young big and lord knows the celtics need offense  in the worst way ,   

the team has ALOT of dumping to do and find some new talent .to compete with

I'm happy Brad just didn't tell DA no thanks and walk away.

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2013, 02:56:32 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777

Pau's soft reputation is completely fake. He's been a great post player for a decade. He's skilled, but not soft. Good defense for a center too, and career 9.2 rebounds in 35.9 mpg. That's not soft. In fact his RPG is #10 of all active players; Dirk is #18 among qualified players. These are fake labels because they are skilled and european, so their styles aren't brutish, but they are not "soft."

We will see if olynyk is soft or just bad at rebounding, but his college rebounding projects him as nowhere near Pau or even Dirk. 

I think Ryan Anderson might be an ok player comp, and Anderson averaged 6.4 rbg last year after getting 8.2 and 9.9 in college; the highest olynyk got was 7.3 in his 3rd college season.

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2013, 02:59:59 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
its scary how similar he is to jajuan johnson in terms of strengths and weaknesses. jajuan may even be better as he was athletic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bU29ChYLinc

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2013, 03:03:29 PM »

Offline The Rondo Show

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 364
  • Hook 'Em
its scary how similar he is to jajuan johnson in terms of strengths and weaknesses. jajuan may even be better as he was athletic

olynyk? don't see that at all
DKC Suns

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2013, 03:04:25 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283

olynyk? don't see that at all
olynyk = jumpshooting big with weak defense.
jajuan = jump shooting big with weak defense.

olynyk can take it to the hole better, but jajuan was a better dunker.

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2013, 03:07:06 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
I feel like Kelly has a better IQ for basketball then Jujuan did.

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2013, 03:13:23 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
A few things I got from today's game.

Olynyk can play.  Period.  Anyone who thought DA wasted a pick is sorely mistaken.  And yes, I understand its only the first summer league game.  But you can tell fairly quickly when I guy can play.

And speaking of wasted picks, Melo still has a ways to go.  And our SL guards are pretty much the suck.

Agree. Was not on board from the start; but the more I read the better I felt and now and completely onboard. Anybody can look good next to Melo. That is one pick I am still not buying. So tired of seeing him loaf around the paint only to get pushed out of position.