Author Topic: Magna Carta Holy Grail  (Read 12658 times)

Re: Magna Carta Holy Grail
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2013, 07:40:53 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Track four with Rick Ross. Love it. Ill.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2013, 11:49:35 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2158
100% pure garbage.

"If skills sold, truth be told, I'd probably be, lyrically Talib Kweli"

Yup, you're right, Hova. But they don't sell, instead we get radio friendly substance free from you.  Prisoner of Conscious is easily the best album of the summer so far.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2013, 12:16:03 PM »

Offline mainevent

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 203
Fact is this, if you're not really a Jay fan then you're not gonna like it. Me, I love it!  Is it his best work? of course not, but he's showing he's still a part of the game, which I think was his only quest.  There'll never be another Reasonable Doubt, Blueprint or even Hard Knock Life...even he has to know that.
"Mosquitoes refuse to bite me....purely out of respect"

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2013, 12:33:48 PM »

Offline green7

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
i love it same with yeezus

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2013, 01:30:21 PM »

Offline connor

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
100% pure garbage.

"If skills sold, truth be told, I'd probably be, lyrically Talib Kweli"

Yup, you're right, Hova. But they don't sell, instead we get radio friendly substance free from you.  Prisoner of Conscious is easily the best album of the summer so far.

Really?

I loved Prisoner of Conscious. I thought it was a great album in totality, Talib always brings it lyrically, but I didn't think that there was a track on there that really grabbed me. It just didn't have that extra something to take it over the top.

I felt the same about MCHG. There were hits and misses with the tracks, but overall a solid/fun album. Jay didn't mix it up, he just brought you some more of what he always has. Again nothing special that puts it over the top.

That line was a compliment to Talib and is a good indication of what you get with both their new albums. Talib is all about the message and the lyrics, and Jay drops hits that are commercially successful but not always fulfilling in the other areas.

They pretty much delivered on what I expected, but I don't think either lived up to their previous top albums.

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2013, 01:40:09 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
i love it same with yeezus

See, I liked Yeezus. Lyrically it was a little too overly sexual for my taste, but the production and creativity were off the charts. There was nothing creative about Holy Grail and the production was fairly generic.

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2013, 01:48:49 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
Fact is this, if you're not really a Jay fan then you're not gonna like it. Me, I love it!  Is it his best work? of course not, but he's showing he's still a part of the game, which I think was his only quest.  There'll never be another Reasonable Doubt, Blueprint or even Hard Knock Life...even he has to know that.

At what point are we liking albums for namesake alone? I've been a Jay-Z fan for over 15 years. I have every one of his albums.

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2013, 01:50:54 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
I've just had it with two of my favorite artist, Eminem and Jay-Z, putting out sub-par efforts for money.

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2013, 02:56:41 PM »

Offline JJones1090

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 12
I've just had it with two of my favorite artist, Eminem and Jay-Z, putting out sub-par efforts for money.

See, I marvel at what Jay has done. As a businessman and as a cultural icon. Him and his boys created modern rap. He's a frontrunner. His albums are fantasy...grandiose, completely unrelatable. It's fun to live in his world for a few minutes at a time, and maybe it's just because I've made him one of my favorite artists...but his voice carries so much weight in my mind. When I hear him on a track I'm like...this is gonna be good. And I read his book too. Made me appreciate him more.

Holy grail is hands down the best song. That JT hook is unreal. The second verse is awesome also. Deals with the duality of wanting the dream, getting it then wanting out. But it's a grass-is-always-greener quandry, because at some point your gonna be somewhere where the grass isn't greener. I think he's saying, be happy with what you got. Stop playing like you're a victim...you made it.

Some of the beats are incredible too. BBC and Tom Ford...I'm a fan. The beat to Tom Ford has been stuck in my head for a while now. Also love Somewhere in America. Very tongue-in-cheek. And pretty funny at some parts. Cool beat too. Could have been in Gatsby and would have fit in well.

Remember, Jay's never been someone who messes with a sound formula. We were goofy to expect anything different than what's always worked. But for what it is...and that's just a fun, over-the-top and self-celebratory album...it's fine.

Jay basically is the game now. So in my mind, what he says goes.

And I'm reserving judgment for Em til he drops his new album. Some of his songs were fine ion Recovery.

« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2013, 02:58:18 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Totally unessential listening.

Which, really, sums up pretty much everything he's touched since The Black Album. Should've stayed retired from the Mic.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2013, 03:21:27 PM »

Offline JJones1090

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 12
Totally unessential listening.

Which, really, sums up pretty much everything he's touched since The Black Album. Should've stayed retired from the Mic.

I'll agree that it wasn't his best effort. His mediocrity is still probably better than most radio artists these days, though. Still a few fun songs.

I haven't heard anything on the radio that's been essential listening from the rap/hip-hop genre in years and years. It's pinata jams...crepe paper shell stuffed with candy and glitter.

Unfortunately, unlike a pinata, you can't destroy those songs with a big stick. You just have to listen to them and let them melt your mind.

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2013, 08:49:35 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
its a good album.  not his best and not his worse.  i will say tho, that the better songs on the album really go hard and i like them alot.  the others are "meh".

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2013, 08:56:39 AM »

Offline jackson_34

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 166