Author Topic: Magna Carta Holy Grail  (Read 12537 times)

Magna Carta Holy Grail
« on: July 05, 2013, 05:22:04 PM »

Offline JJones1090

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 12
Anybody heard this yet?

Re: Magna Carta Holy Grail
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 05:49:46 PM »

Offline BDubs

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 54
  • Can a brother get some Tommy points!
Anybody heard this yet?

I haven't listened to all of it yet, but here is a link to a stream of it online.

http://respectthefresh.com/jay-z-magna-carta-holy-grail-album-stream/

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 05:54:33 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Monte Python's holy grail is better....

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 05:55:21 PM »

Offline JJones1090

• Joe Mazzulla
Thanks for the link man. Listening to it on the drive home...nice little 4 hour ride haha. TP for making the commute shorter.

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 05:56:42 PM »

Offline connor

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
Listening to it right now. I love it so far. Still doesn't live up to the hype though, but I had unfair expectations for it.

People have already started to talk trash about it though, comparing it to Yeezus. I like MCHG heads and tails above Kanye's "new direction".

He's not reinventing the wheel or anything, but its still a good album.

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 05:57:15 PM »

Offline BDubs

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 54
  • Can a brother get some Tommy points!
Thanks for the link man. Listening to it on the drive home...nice little 4 hour ride haha. TP for making the commute shorter.

You're welcome.  I got the heads up on that sight after the Kanye album leak of a couple weeks ago.  It looks like they get a lot of stuff early.

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 05:59:19 PM »

Offline JJones1090

• Joe Mazzulla

Ni! That's not really a fair comparison. I shall say Ni to you again if you don't stop making such comparisons.

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2013, 06:01:05 PM »

Offline jarufu

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 123

Ni! That's not really a fair comparison. I shall say Ni to you again if you don't stop making such comparisons.

A shrubbery!!
Stay classy, San Diego. Hello, Baxter? Baxter, is that you? Bark twice if you're in Milwaukee. Is this Wilt Chamberlain? Have the decency to say something.

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2013, 06:01:33 PM »

Offline JJones1090

• Joe Mazzulla
Listening to it right now. I love it so far. Still doesn't live up to the hype though, but I had unfair expectations for it.

People have already started to talk trash about it though, comparing it to Yeezus. I like MCHG heads and tails above Kanye's "new direction".

Yeezus...Hold my Liquor and New Slaves was alright (especially the end of new slaves). I like when Kanye gets a little creative. But he tries to hard to shatter expectations, just because he doesn't wanna be boxed in. Sometimes being in a box and soundin alright is better than playing games and makin peoples' ears bleed though.

But, it's like 50 told him, "Go head and switch the style up and if they hate, then let em hate, and watch the money pile up."

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2013, 06:21:44 PM »

Offline boom

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 26
I dig the new album. Nothing groundbreaking, but a good listen through. Big fan of a lot of recent album drops.

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2013, 06:27:14 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Yeezus...Hold my Liquor and New Slaves was alright (especially the end of new slaves). I like when Kanye gets a little creative. But he tries to hard to shatter expectations, just because he doesn't wanna be boxed in. Sometimes being in a box and soundin alright is better than playing games and makin peoples' ears bleed though.

But, it's like 50 told him, "Go head and switch the style up and if they hate, then let em hate, and watch the money pile up."
I'm not a huge hip hop fan.  I like some of Kanye's music, though.  I jog to it sometimes (probably mostly stuff from "Dark Twisted Fantasy").  I really didn't like Yeezus at all.  I totally don't get it.  Maybe it's brilliant, but I didn't enjoy anything I heard on that album.

Listening to MCHG now... it's easier to listen to without question.

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2013, 06:47:37 PM »

Offline JJones1090

• Joe Mazzulla

I'm not a huge hip hop fan.  I like some of Kanye's music, though.  I jog to it sometimes (probably mostly stuff from "Dark Twisted Fantasy").  I really didn't like Yeezus at all.  I totally don't get it.  Maybe it's brilliant, but I didn't enjoy anything I heard on that album.

Yeah, I don't think Kanye is "brilliant" by any stretch of the imagination, but he defies expectations. That's what sometimes sets him up to be considered great.

If you read too much into his choices, then he might appear like a crazy genius artist, but he's actually just a guy who  sometimes makes good music imo.

In my opinion, the brilliant thing to do is constantly feed what people want...more money. Making money is smart to me. Business, business, business. Don't reinvent the wheel if people are still buying a crap ton of old-style wheels.

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2013, 07:05:04 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Yeah, I don't think Kanye is "brilliant" by any stretch of the imagination, but he defies expectations. That's what sometimes sets him up to be considered great.

If you read too much into his choices, then he might appear like a crazy genius artist, but he's actually just a guy who  sometimes makes good music imo.

In my opinion, the brilliant thing to do is constantly feed what people want...more money. Making money is smart to me. Business, business, business. Don't reinvent the wheel if people are still buying a crap ton of old-style wheels.
The only interesting thing about "Yeezus" from my perspective is the idea I read about the entire album being written from the perspective of Kanye's penis.

http://www.reddit.com/r/hiphopheads/comments/1glh1o/yeezus_isnt_kanye_its_his_penis/

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2013, 07:08:45 PM »

Offline Smutzy#9

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
Yeh i managed to get the album off the app when it came out. the opening track Holy Grail is extremerly good and sets the album up well. Its nothing sensational and yes probably a bit overhyped but there are some solid songs. Holy grail, Heaven, Somewhere in America, FUTW are all solid tracks especially towards the end of FUTW, Jay comes out with some of his best there. Tad overproduced but i have been listening to it for the last couple of days. Cant say the same for yeezus.....

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2013, 07:13:50 PM »

Offline JJones1090

• Joe Mazzulla

The only interesting thing about "Yeezus" from my perspective is the idea I read about the entire album being written from the perspective of Kanye's penis.

http://www.reddit.com/r/hiphopheads/comments/1glh1o/yeezus_isnt_kanye_its_his_penis/

Hahahaha...10 songs is short for an album...but not for a Yeezus.