Author Topic: Is Drew Cannon being hired as well?  (Read 8575 times)

Re: Is Drew Cannon being hired as well?
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2013, 11:46:29 AM »

Offline Kevin OConnor

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 24
  • @KevinOConnorNBA
I saw a tweet from Draftexpress saying he has been. Can this be confirmed? If this is the case, it signals a revolutionary move regarding analytics and coaching for the Celtics. It could mean that the C's could be approaching the game in a brand new and very cutting edge way. Very exciting.

Just watched the Summer League game in my DVR and I think I spoted Drew Cannon seating alongside Mike Zarren, Brad Stevens, Danny and Austin Ainge.
He was sitting all the way on the left, to Brad Stevens' right, if I remember correctly. I'll be on the lookout for agan today, I didn't put one and two together yesterday.
www.twitter.com/KevinOConnorNBA

I like sports and music.

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2013, 11:52:27 AM »

Offline NYDan

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 22
I saw a tweet from Draftexpress saying he has been. Can this be confirmed? If this is the case, it signals a revolutionary move regarding analytics and coaching for the Celtics. It could mean that the C's could be approaching the game in a brand new and very cutting edge way. Very exciting.

Just watched the Summer League game in my DVR and I think I spoted Drew Cannon seating alongside Mike Zarren, Brad Stevens, Danny and Austin Ainge.

Just for the record: the Celtics have been using statistical analysis for a while.  Not sure what exactly Cannon's system is but just saying this wouldn't be brand new.
They don't talk much about the entire process to keep their competitive edge, but articles state he prepares incredibly extensive analysis reports for every game/practice/opponent to Coach Stevens that takes 10-12 hours to prepare. He's also on the bench with the coaches for real time statistical analysis and contributions. Basically, an assistant coach math wiz that is 100% focused on gathering data and exploiting it to gain an advantage.

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2013, 11:52:39 AM »

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
Jonathan Givony @DraftExpress
Good luck to Drew Cannon in Boston. Big promotion for him as well.
If true, his parents can rest easy.  It's a long way from their basement.  Meteoric rise.

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2013, 11:56:23 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

Just for the record: the Celtics have been using statistical analysis for a while.  Not sure what exactly Cannon's system is but just saying this wouldn't be brand new.
They don't talk much about the entire process to keep their competitive edge, but articles state he prepares incredibly extensive analysis reports for every game/practice/opponent to Coach Stevens that takes 10-12 hours to prepare. He's also on the bench with the coaches for real time statistical analysis and contributions. Basically, an assistant coach math wiz that is 100% focused on gathering data and exploiting it to gain an advantage.

He may have developed some good useful wrinkles, since his primary focus was supporting game coaching, whereas it seems as if Doc was a bit resistant to what Danny's supposedly top-notch numbers guys offered, and so they probably got their best traction in draft and FA analysis.

But Stevens undoubtedly needs some loyal guys of his own on his staff and Cannon seems like a good one.  I could see him teaming with Zarren to provide Stevens with better and more usefully packaged coaching stats than either team has had in the past.

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2013, 12:00:19 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
Rondo IQ + analytics = mind blowing stuff.

When Cannon graduated with a degree in statistics last spring, he had modest expectations of finding a job right away. "We were hoping he would not be living in the basement," said Jim Cannon, his father. "That was our goal. And his."
Instead of toiling in the basement, Cannon spent the season on the Butler bench and will be with the team when the Bulldogs play Bucknell in the NCAA tournament on Thursday. Cannon's experience interning with recruiting analyst Dave Telep and his advanced writing about basketball analytics gained the attention of Butler coach Brad Stevens, who offered him a job as a graduate manager this summer.
Cannon takes MBA classes at Butler and makes just $1,000 per month, but his work has significantly impacted how Butler uses lineups and helped him emerge as a potentially transformative figure on the college basketball landscape. Cannon is considered to be the first pure statistics-based hire on a college basketball staff. When Stevens called to offer Cannon a job, Cannon's father said to his son, "Does he realize you are monumentally under qualified for this position?"
In reality, Cannon's experience in scouting and analyzing data has made him the perfect match with the numbers-savvy Butler program. Stevens, a longtime proponent of advanced statistical metrics, said if he had unlimited resources he would create his own statistics division. For now, he has Cannon and gushes about how his research has shaped lineups, substitution patterns and converted the staff's statistical skeptics.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/-college-basketball-mens-tournament/news/20130320/drew-cannon-butler/#ixzz2Y3C45gc1

moneyball II. so what are rondo's win shares?

Basketball reference has had Rondo's win shares declining for five consecutive years--since he peaked in the '08-'09 season:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/r/rondora01.html

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2013, 12:06:13 PM »

Offline DarkAzcura

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 100

They used analytics to get players, but it never made it to the coaching end. It was clear Doc ignored that kind of stuff with some of the pairs he was running out there. A pretty awesome statistical guy on the Celtics forum at realGM constantly talked about how bad it was to run specific pairs (like Lee and Bass or something) yet Doc always fell back on those lineups. It was clear he ignored stuff like that to force what he thinks should work.

It'll be an interesting change this season..

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2013, 12:12:55 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

He may have developed some good useful wrinkles, since his primary focus was supporting game coaching, whereas it seems as if Doc was a bit resistant to what Danny's supposedly top-notch numbers guys offered, and so they probably got their best traction in draft and FA analysis.

But Stevens undoubtedly needs some loyal guys of his own on his staff and Cannon seems like a good one.  I could see him teaming with Zarren to provide Stevens with better and more usefully packaged coaching stats than either team has had in the past.

Yeah good points.

I'm sure it was there in the game planning too but Stevens seems like another level of adopting that approach to the game, which I also like.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2013, 01:07:22 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

i read similarly on the time and level of reporting, which then allowed preparation during practice.

my concern is that this extensive and detailed a system will take a few years to take off for stevens. specifically, can drew really put 10 to 12 hour prep into each game in the nba? there are 82 games, no 20 something as in college.

further, compared to college there are lots of back to back games and few practices in the nba. there will not be nearly the same amount of time to teach/deploy stats.

i am not saying advanced stats wont work. i am saying these advanced stats and how they are used/deployed will be take time to work out. drew by himself is just not going to enough to duplicate the butler system in the celtics.

the first year will be a lot of learning and improvising by everyone involved. but danny and brad seem to understand that.

one of the big challenges for stevens and drew will be to successfully infuse nba coaching with stats as he uses them. but if he is successful, then ainge, drew, and stevens may revolutionize basketball the way billy beane changed baseball and how it assesses talent and winning. and that, i think, was one major attraction for stevens.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2013, 01:10:31 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas

i read similarly on the time and level of reporting, which then allowed preparation during practice.

my concern is that this extensive and detailed a system will take a few years to take off for stevens. specifically, can drew really put 10 to 12 hour prep into each game in the nba? there are 82 games, no 20 something as in college.

further, compared to college there are lots of back to back games and few practices in the nba. there will not be nearly the same amount of time to teach/deploy stats.

i am not saying advanced stats wont work. i am saying these advanced stats and how they are used/deployed will be take time to work out. drew by himself is just not going to enough to duplicate the butler system in the celtics.

the first year will be a lot of learning and improvising by everyone involved. but danny and brad seem to understand that.

one of the big challenges for stevens and drew will be to successfully infuse nba coaching with stats as he uses them. but if he is successful, then ainge, drew, and stevens may revolutionize basketball the way billy beane changed baseball and how it assesses talent and winning. and that, i think, was one major attraction for stevens.

The C's have long had dedicated inhouse stats staff.  Cannon won't be working alone, but it will be new to have a stats guy on the coaching staff feeding their product to a stats-friendly head coach.

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2013, 01:21:13 PM »

Offline erisred

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37

He was sitting all the way on the left, to Brad Stevens' right, if I remember correctly. I'll be on the lookout for agan today, I didn't put one and two together yesterday.
I wondered if that was him.

If Cannon's analysis makes Stevens more comfortable, then Danny should hire him. Yes, the C's have been doing statistical analysis for sometime and probably have a staff of guys, but adding one more...specifically to be the "interface" between Stevens and the BIS (basketball information systems) staff seems like a great idea. It's not *my money. :)

« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2013, 01:23:25 PM »

Offline Kevin OConnor

• Payton Pritchard
  • @KevinOConnorNBA

I wondered if that was him.

If Cannon's analysis makes Stevens more comfortable, then Danny should hire him. Yes, the C's have been doing statistical analysis for sometime and probably have a staff of guys, but adding one more...specifically to be the "interface" between Stevens and the BIS (basketball information systems) staff seems like a great idea. It's not *my money. :)
Here's a clip of the guy I was talking about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nrwd5epYma0

I'm not so sure that's Drew Cannon unless he lost some weight and got a better haircut. http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/03/20/2766369/raleigh-math-guru-cannon-is-butler.html

I like sports and music.

« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2013, 02:28:00 PM »

Offline Kevin OConnor

• Payton Pritchard
  • @KevinOConnorNBA
I found him:

Red shirt on the left of the photo, he's with Danny Ainge, Austin Ainge, and another guy. I'm assuming Brad Stevens will show up and sit next to him soon.

I like sports and music.