Author Topic: Is Drew Cannon being hired as well?  (Read 8576 times)

Is Drew Cannon being hired as well?
« on: July 03, 2013, 11:57:51 PM »

Offline ctrey

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 110
I saw a tweet from Draftexpress saying he has been. Can this be confirmed? If this is the case, it signals a revolutionary move regarding analytics and coaching for the Celtics. It could mean that the C's could be approaching the game in a brand new and very cutting edge way. Very exciting.

Re: Is Drew Cannon being hired as well?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 12:03:09 AM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
From what i am reading about him seems like a pretty cool idea. I am totally embracing Stevens.

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 12:36:24 AM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170
And an analytical approach I think is exactly the kind of approach I see working well with Rondo. Where Doc's move at times were based on feel, with Stevens I see cold hard facts supporting his decisions. And we all know Rondo is the type of guy to disagree with an idea he doesn't see the logic in. With Stevens it should be pretty straight-forward. And because Rondo processes things in the same way, very calculating, I see Stevens being receptive to Rondo's feedback not just as a leader on the team but as someone who simply sees what works and what doesn't. With Doc, clearly some things were received and some fell on deaf ears.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 01:08:42 AM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
Rondo IQ + analytics = mind blowing stuff.

When Cannon graduated with a degree in statistics last spring, he had modest expectations of finding a job right away. "We were hoping he would not be living in the basement," said Jim Cannon, his father. "That was our goal. And his."
Instead of toiling in the basement, Cannon spent the season on the Butler bench and will be with the team when the Bulldogs play Bucknell in the NCAA tournament on Thursday. Cannon's experience interning with recruiting analyst Dave Telep and his advanced writing about basketball analytics gained the attention of Butler coach Brad Stevens, who offered him a job as a graduate manager this summer.
Cannon takes MBA classes at Butler and makes just $1,000 per month, but his work has significantly impacted how Butler uses lineups and helped him emerge as a potentially transformative figure on the college basketball landscape. Cannon is considered to be the first pure statistics-based hire on a college basketball staff. When Stevens called to offer Cannon a job, Cannon's father said to his son, "Does he realize you are monumentally under qualified for this position?"
In reality, Cannon's experience in scouting and analyzing data has made him the perfect match with the numbers-savvy Butler program. Stevens, a longtime proponent of advanced statistical metrics, said if he had unlimited resources he would create his own statistics division. For now, he has Cannon and gushes about how his research has shaped lineups, substitution patterns and converted the staff's statistical skeptics.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/-college-basketball-mens-tournament/news/20130320/drew-cannon-butler/#ixzz2Y3C45gc1

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 01:13:32 AM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
wow. The Celtics now have gone very anaalytic as opposed to the feelings based system before.

If this is true, then he will succeed here as DA has been a proponent of advanced analytics.
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 01:14:04 AM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
And an analytical approach I think is exactly the kind of approach I see working well with Rondo. Where Doc's move at times were based on feel, with Stevens I see cold hard facts supporting his decisions. And we all know Rondo is the type of guy to disagree with an idea he doesn't see the logic in. With Stevens it should be pretty straight-forward. And because Rondo processes things in the same way, very calculating, I see Stevens being receptive to Rondo's feedback not just as a leader on the team but as someone who simply sees what works and what doesn't. With Doc, clearly some things were received and some fell on deaf ears.

This. I think this is where these two will get along. He will take Rondo's words and use them. Heck i think he is going to need some help from Rondo, just because he is going to see some stuff in the league that he never has before. But I think Rondo will be able to work with him fine because Stevens will be able to relate to Rajon.

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 02:29:40 AM »

Offline paidthecost2betheboss

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 40

Dude

1st TP
2nd Can I give another TP?

Best comment I have read in a month.

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2013, 02:36:36 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I hope he does get hired. Butler's basketball program changed when Stevens and Cannon worked together.

And I was reading Steven's Wiki page, in there it says "if he had the resources, Stevens says he would hire a team of statisticians to analyze the teams play."

Well, if he can convince the Celtics that this system works, I don't think resources would be a problem.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2013, 02:51:27 AM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170
Jonathan Givony @DraftExpress
Good luck to Drew Cannon in Boston. Big promotion for him as well.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2013, 02:05:36 PM »

Offline NYDan

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 22
Great to hear he's coming along, was just reading about him. Very interested to see how a guy like Cannon operates on a professional level.

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2013, 04:06:32 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Any confirmation on if he's getting hired?  I just read Kevin O'Conner's piece on the front page and came away thinking Drew Cannon was the brains of the operation. 

http://www.celticsblog.com/2013/7/4/4492756/brad-stevens-the-nbas-next-great-head-coach-boston-celtics-nba-butler-bulldogs-analytics-philosophy

Butler has found secret weapon in statistical guru Drew Cannon - Pete Thamel - SI.com
    What makes Cannon's value tricky to quantify is that he and Stevens are reluctant to share many specifics of his research. There are simple things he does like keep practice statistics, track the efficiency of specific set plays and the statistical tendencies of opponents.

But as far as the in-depth statistical analysis, Stevens gave only a peek as to not forfeit an edge. Cannon sends Stevens a 10-page e-mail breaking down and analyzing the numbers after every Butler game. The report takes 10 to 12 hours for Cannon to put together.

Cannon's greatest value is with lineup analysis, as Stevens terms his work "unreal." "It includes every player, pairs of players, groups of three, big lineups, small lineups, etc.," Stevens said. Cannon will also include the offensive and defensive efficiency of Butler's players from previous matchups with an opponent, which Stevens said, "Will help me determine probable sub patterns, late game lineups, etc."

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2013, 04:41:49 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Rondo IQ + analytics = mind blowing stuff.

When Cannon graduated with a degree in statistics last spring, he had modest expectations of finding a job right away. "We were hoping he would not be living in the basement," said Jim Cannon, his father. "That was our goal. And his."
Instead of toiling in the basement, Cannon spent the season on the Butler bench and will be with the team when the Bulldogs play Bucknell in the NCAA tournament on Thursday. Cannon's experience interning with recruiting analyst Dave Telep and his advanced writing about basketball analytics gained the attention of Butler coach Brad Stevens, who offered him a job as a graduate manager this summer.
Cannon takes MBA classes at Butler and makes just $1,000 per month, but his work has significantly impacted how Butler uses lineups and helped him emerge as a potentially transformative figure on the college basketball landscape. Cannon is considered to be the first pure statistics-based hire on a college basketball staff. When Stevens called to offer Cannon a job, Cannon's father said to his son, "Does he realize you are monumentally under qualified for this position?"
In reality, Cannon's experience in scouting and analyzing data has made him the perfect match with the numbers-savvy Butler program. Stevens, a longtime proponent of advanced statistical metrics, said if he had unlimited resources he would create his own statistics division. For now, he has Cannon and gushes about how his research has shaped lineups, substitution patterns and converted the staff's statistical skeptics.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/-college-basketball-mens-tournament/news/20130320/drew-cannon-butler/#ixzz2Y3C45gc1

moneyball II. so what are rondo's win shares?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2013, 09:25:24 AM »

Offline Global Celtic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 84
Any news on Drew's hiring?

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2013, 11:15:55 AM »

Offline Global Celtic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 84
I saw a tweet from Draftexpress saying he has been. Can this be confirmed? If this is the case, it signals a revolutionary move regarding analytics and coaching for the Celtics. It could mean that the C's could be approaching the game in a brand new and very cutting edge way. Very exciting.

Just watched the Summer League game in my DVR and I think I spoted Drew Cannon seating alongside Mike Zarren, Brad Stevens, Danny and Austin Ainge.

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2013, 11:16:56 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

Just watched the Summer League game in my DVR and I think I spoted Drew Cannon seating alongside Mike Zarren, Brad Stevens, Danny and Austin Ainge.

Just for the record: the Celtics have been using statistical analysis for a while.  Not sure what exactly Cannon's system is but just saying this wouldn't be brand new.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford