Author Topic: Idea: Trade MarShon Brooks to Minnesota for second-round picks  (Read 4841 times)

Re: Idea: Trade MarShon Brooks to Minnesota for second-round picks
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2013, 12:38:37 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Second-round picks are useless.

I think at least half of the GMs in the NBA would disagree.

A former top 5 pick was just traded this week for the equivalent of four 2nd round picks.

What are the odds of a second round pick making the team? Not good!

I'll pass on second round picks.

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2013, 12:41:38 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Second-round picks are useless.

I think at least half of the GMs in the NBA would disagree.

A former top 5 pick was just traded this week for the equivalent of four 2nd round picks.

What are the odds of a second round pick making the team? Not good!

I'll pass on second round picks.

Mario Chalmers, Danny Green, Leon Powe, Glen Davis, Chandler Parsons, Deandre Jordan, Michael Redd, Carlos Boozer, Monta Ellis, Manu Ginobili . . . must I go on?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2013, 12:43:16 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Minny traded their 2013 first round pick for the 2014 Warriors 2nd round pick you mention.

It's rumored that MIN rejected Brooks for the 26th pick and preferred to get the Warriors' 2nd round pick instead. If true, it's hard to see them turning around and trading that same pick, much less that plus another pick, for Brooks now.

Also, if the rumor is true it appears that Marshon is already being over-valued by some people above (welcome to the Celtics!). He was worth less than a low 2014 2nd round pick as of five days ago based on these rumors...not sure why he'd be worth more now.

Of course some of this is hearsay, so take it as such, but the sources include Ford and Stein, who are at least among the more reliable ones.

http://espn.go.com/nba/draft2013/story/_/id/9431012/2013-nba-draft-nerlens-noel-traded-new-orleans-pelicans-philadelphia-76ers-jrue-holiday

http://www.netsdaily.com/2013/6/24/4460460/bondy-brooklyn-nets-marketing-marshon-brooks-to-timberwolves

Nice finds.

Although, Minnesota also offloaded the salary of Malcolm Lee while trading the rights to the player taken at #26 for that GSW 2nd rounder (and cash). While small, those fiscal motivations for the Wolves might have been greater than their desire to add Brooks on Draft Night.

That's right. Lee is on the books for $854k. So I guess it's more correct to say that Brooks is worth less than a low 2nd rounder plus the cash - around $1 million, maybe?

Or perhaps the T-Wolves just needed to clear room for their big run at DH!

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2013, 12:44:28 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
Sure you can point out some 2nd round draft picks that have made it.  I could point out a number of undrafted players.  Brooks has more value than a 2nd round pick and we will need to bundle him to help move other salary.

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2013, 12:45:57 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Minny traded their 2013 first round pick for the 2014 Warriors 2nd round pick you mention.

It's rumored that MIN rejected Brooks for the 26th pick and preferred to get the Warriors' 2nd round pick instead. If true, it's hard to see them turning around and trading that same pick, much less that plus another pick, for Brooks now.

Also, if the rumor is true it appears that Marshon is already being over-valued by some people above (welcome to the Celtics!). He was worth less than a low 2014 2nd round pick as of five days ago based on these rumors...not sure why he'd be worth more now.

Of course some of this is hearsay, so take it as such, but the sources include Ford and Stein, who are at least among the more reliable ones.

http://espn.go.com/nba/draft2013/story/_/id/9431012/2013-nba-draft-nerlens-noel-traded-new-orleans-pelicans-philadelphia-76ers-jrue-holiday

http://www.netsdaily.com/2013/6/24/4460460/bondy-brooklyn-nets-marketing-marshon-brooks-to-timberwolves

Nice finds.

Although, Minnesota also offloaded the salary of Malcolm Lee while trading the rights to the player taken at #26 for that GSW 2nd rounder (and cash). While small, those fiscal motivations for the Wolves might have been greater than their desire to add Brooks on Draft Night.

That's right. Lee is on the books for $854k. So I guess it's more correct to say that Brooks is worth less than a low 2nd rounder plus the cash - around $1 million, maybe?

Or perhaps the T-Wolves just needed to clear room for their big run at DH!

Yeah, not a big money saver for the Wolves.

But maybe they are trying to scrape together as much cash as possible, knowing that someone might make Pekovic a big time offer they feel compelled to match.

Wolves are rumored to be cutting Stiemsma and Gelable (both non-guaranteed) to save some payroll, too.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2013, 12:46:00 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think we will have a big problem scoring if we trade both Brooks/Crawford. Sure, we are tanking, but we don't need to be scoring 60-70 points a game until Rondo gets back.

I say keep Crawford and trade Brooks. I don't like MarShon either, but Crawford at least has a 3 point shot and showed decent defense last year. 2 second round picks is a good haul for him.

I'd be perfectly happy with a young team made of up of guys with good, team-first, defense-focused playing habits that is at the bottom of the league in scoring.

We're much more likely to be successful again sooner if we focus our rebuild on getting defensively talented young role players on cheap deals and only going for the offense-first guys when their talent / potential far outweighs their cost.

This doesn't preclude getting guys like Olynyk or Sullinger who certainly don't project as great defensive players but who have demonstrated an ability and willingness to operate within a team structure (both are talented passers for their position).
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2013, 12:48:28 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
I really hope neither Crawford nor Brooks is a 'keeper' on this team. 

Seems to me that Brooks has the better chance of increasing value, and I presume he's a little cheaper, so I'd vote to keep him into next year, if either of them stay.

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2013, 12:49:38 PM »

Offline connor

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
I say keep Crawford and trade Brooks. I don't like MarShon either, but Crawford at least has a 3 point shot and showed decent defense last year. 2 second round picks is a good haul for him.

I'd rather trade Crawford between the two of them. They're both chuckers, but Crawford is on the last year of his deal and was a nightmare in Washington on a team filled with young guys that sucked (which is basically where we are going).

We'd be better off getting rid of the guy with history of problems when playing for bad teams and keeping the guy we have more control over.

I wouldn't say he is being overvalued. I think as it stands now he probably isn't worth a couple second rounders, but he has the potential to be worth that and more.

He looked like a steal from the 2011 draft as a rookie, but his playing time got cut in half because the Nets brought in Joe Johnson.

He is a developmental project. We could move him now for basically nothing or we could hold onto him and hope with significant minutes he can improve. He is a high volume scorer that could be a future sixth man Nate Robinson/Jamal Crawford/Jason Terry type role player for a contender.

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2013, 12:52:59 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2414
If it is between MarShon Brooks and Jordan Crawford, I would much rather keep M.Brooks than J.Crawford. More size. More well rounded scoring ability. More upside defensively.

But I would also be perfectly happy dumping both of them and picking up a third string SG on a minimum contract in free agency. Especially if you can get any type of assets at all for them.

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2013, 12:54:17 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
How about Ridnour, Cunningham and a pick for Lee and Brooks. That would save us some money, get us a back up pg and bring in a future pick.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2013, 12:57:26 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I'd trade him to Charlotte for a couple second round picks.

That team needs a scorer, badly. And while Brooks isn't your typical consistent go-to guy, his potential alone would probably be enough for the Cats/Hornets to unload a 2nd rounder for him.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2013, 12:58:13 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
How about Ridnour, Cunningham and a pick for Lee and Brooks. That would save us some money, get us a back up pg and bring in a future pick.

Everything the Wolves have done lately (unloading their 2013 1st rounder, waiving Stiemsma and Gelabale) suggests they are cost-cutting.

If so, they wouldn't want Lee. Ridnour and Cunningham are expiring.

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2013, 01:30:36 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

Everything the Wolves have done lately (unloading their 2013 1st rounder, waiving Stiemsma and Gelabale) suggests they are cost-cutting.

If so, they wouldn't want Lee. Ridnour and Cunningham are expiring.

How much of that is dumping salary and how much of that is getting rid of players they see as Kahn mistakes?  The Wolves have an offer out for JJ Redick and reportedly called Kevin Martin at 12:01am on July 1.

A Ridnour for Lee deal sounds like the kind of back-up plan they might go for if they whiff on their main targets.  Lee might be of interest to teams that chase after someone like Kevin Martin.  Bass might be of interest to teams that were thinking of Paul Millsap.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2013, 01:43:15 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
the steamer is available?

« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2013, 02:00:16 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
If it is between MarShon Brooks and Jordan Crawford, I would much rather keep M.Brooks than J.Crawford. More size. More well rounded scoring ability. More upside defensively.

Me too, much more potential.