Author Topic: Should the Celtics org un-retire some numbers?  (Read 8393 times)

Should the Celtics org un-retire some numbers?
« on: July 01, 2013, 05:30:09 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Interesting article

http://axelrodsports.com/2011/03/03/the-boston-celtics-need-to-un-retire-some-numbers/

Basically claims , lets keep Russell, Bird and now Pierce numbers retired. But as for many others who were amazing celtics but not , like the three guys above, maybe its time to let the numbers be used.

I mean if you look at the retired number list, there are like no number open in the teens. Its crazy.

I think they should un retire some numbers now (though i'm not sure how they would go about doing it, without offending) and let it be used. If not now, 200-300 years from now, something has to give

Re: Should the Celtics org un-retire some numbers?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 05:31:38 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Absolutely not.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 05:35:57 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Absolutely not.

I understand where your coming from. But Dennis Johnson shouldn't have his number retired.  If any non mvp guys should have their numbers retired, would be those part of that ridiculous string of championship wins, like Cousy etc.

And tell me what your fix is, in 300 years when there will be barely any numbers remaining for a player to use??  (extreme example). Celtics will get to this problem faster than any other org probably also (unless you don't care). And i'm against numbers going past 100, bc thats just ridiculous imo

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 05:36:37 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
I'd rather that Celtic players resort to wearing numbers in the 50s and 60s than clear the rafters of history.

At least all those numbers are all former Celtics'. I still can't believe the first number retired by the Miami Heat was Michael Jordan's.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 05:37:06 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 350
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
If there are 101 numbers to choose from, and we've retired 20.

That means there are still 80 numbers for 15 people to choose from.

I think we're fine. Worrying about something that really won't be an issue for another few hundred years is downright silly.

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 05:39:13 PM »

Offline CelticBalla32

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 303
  • Anything is possible
Absolutely not.

I understand where your coming from. But Dennis Johnson shouldn't have his number retired.  If any non mvp guys should have their numbers retired, would be those part of that ridiculous string of championship wins, like Cousy etc.

And tell me what your fix is, in 300 years when there will be barely any numbers remaining for a player to use??  (extreme example). Celtics will get to this problem faster than any other org probably also (unless you don't care). And i'm against numbers going past 100, bc thats just ridiculous imo

Let's worry about this 300 years from now.
Check out my blog, Chapsketblog - http://chapsketblog.wordpress.com/

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 05:42:37 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
If there are 101 numbers to choose from, and we've retired 20.

That means there are still 80 numbers for 15 people to choose from.

I think we're fine. Worrying about something that really won't be an issue for another few hundred years is downright silly.

no doubt, its an extreme thought. And something we don't have to worry about. But just for fun, i wonder what will happen when the time comes.

For me i can see both arguments. Org/history comes 1st or players pref/reason come first.

Some people are really sentimental as to what numbers they would like to use when they play a game.  Some players are so into this , that they are willing to pay thousands of dollars to buy numbers from players already using them. It could mean celtics losing out on key FA's bc of this matter alone, regardless of how silly it might sound. 

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 05:48:58 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
Absolutely not.

The idea that you'd unretire a number just so some anonymous future Celtic will have to be spared the indignity of having a high number on his jersey is fundamentally offensive to me as a Celtics fan.

These guys make, at the lowest, hundreds of thousands of dollars for playing a children's game. If your number is that important to you, get it inked on your forearm or something.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2013, 05:49:46 PM »

Offline Big_Matt34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 80

He lives! Agreed btw, it would be ridiculous. Even if they have too many numbers retired, which can be debated, would be disrespectful to unretire them. Can you imagine the Celts going to Dennis Johnsons family, and telling them they are going to unretire his number?

Incoming players can deal with it.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 06:05:39 PM by Big_Matt34 »

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2013, 05:50:30 PM »

Offline southshorematt

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 46
without a doubt WE NEED TO. it's embarrassing how many average players have their numbers retired.

You people don't understand the modern age NBA player would rather have the jersey number they prefer over having all the history hanging above them and wearing an ugly jersey number like 57.

CORNY

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2013, 05:56:17 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
without a doubt WE NEED TO. it's embarrassing how many average players have their numbers retired.

You people don't understand the modern age NBA player would rather have the jersey number they prefer over having all the history hanging above them and wearing an ugly jersey number like 57.

CORNY

No, I understand the notion and the sentiment.

IJDGAF.

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2013, 06:03:27 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
We should switch to hex numbers.

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2013, 06:08:28 PM »

Offline Mean Gerald Green

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 212
  • Cool Runnings

CORNY

Oh man, I didn't understand that. I really feel terrible for all the professional basketball players now. Maybe we can provide some compensation by letting them play a sport for millions of dollars..

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2013, 06:12:48 PM »

Offline Mean Gerald Green

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 212
  • Cool Runnings

He lives! Agreed btw, it would be ridiculous. Even if they have too many numbers retired, which can be debated, would be disrespectful to unretire them. Can you imagine the Celts going to Dennis Johnsons family, and telling them they are going to unretire his number?

Incoming players can deal with it.

Absolutely. There is no other argument to this.

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2013, 06:14:26 PM »

Offline Big_Matt34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 80
Oh man, I didn't understand that. I really feel terrible for all the professional basketball players now. Maybe we can provide some compensation by letting them play a sport for millions of dollars..

Shenanigans. TP btw.