Author Topic: Programming, UI design and the like.  (Read 3836 times)

Programming, UI design and the like.
« on: July 01, 2013, 07:28:00 AM »

Kiorrik

So, might as well come out of the closet: I'm a designer.

And I thought, hey, why not create a topic to see if there's any like-minded individuals around? So without further ado:

please share your experiences!!!

.edit: if nobody beats me to it, I'll kick it off in a minute :p

Re: Programming, UI design and the like.
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 07:34:39 AM »

Kiorrik

I do UI/UX for Prime Practice, a company that specializes in practice management coaching in the dental industry.

Now, I'm a user interface and user experience guy, meaning I live in Photoshop. I'm also an avid CSS/HTML geek, but get to practice that a lot less here at Prime, because I'm surrounded by superb developers who either love doing it themselves, or get whiplashes when they let anyone but developers touch their code. I have a great deal of respect for that; I don't let anyone touch my design stuff either.

But on my spare time, I dabble in php/sql, drupal, toy around with my webspace (phpmyadmin, cpanel) and locally hosted nonsense (xampp/wamp). I'm no hero, but I love tweaking my Drupal installation (www.suzannaalevis.com and a couple of other sites run off of it, shared DB) and attempting to write my own (very modest and probably very crappy) modules for it.

So, lately, I've been dabbling in JS a bit more than usual. I've always been able to modify the living daylights out of anything I used, but now I'm really tearing down game-design related html5 canvas tutorials and articles. I generally look at blocks of code they use to solve certain issues, then break 'm down all the way untill I get what they do.

For example, I'll look at something I don't get, then strip everything I don't get and start alert();-ing the crap out of it until I get it, adding more and more of the "unknown" code until I understand EXACTLY what someone wrote.

Today's efforts:

// Adjusting zoom level according to scroll direction
function handleScrolling(e) {
  zoom = (e.detail > 0 || e.wheelDelta > 0) ? (zoom -0.25): (zoom +0.25);
}
// Listen to mousewheel scrolling
var wheel=(/Firefox/i.test(navigator.userAgent))? "DOMMouseScroll" : "mousewheel"
document.addEventListener(wheel, handleScrolling, false);

Pretty much a cross-browser way to set zoom level for a canvas game I'm coding ground-up. Decided to undertake this to understand JS better.

All I'm using is JQuery, and even that sparingly. No Melon.js or other frameworks.

For a non-programmer, this stuff feels really good ;)

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 07:35:04 AM »

Kiorrik

Also, I'm pretty sure this topic will be a dud :p lol

Never try, never know!

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 08:46:41 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
I know Excel.

According to this guy I'm a programmer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nA-J0510Pxs