Author Topic: IDEA: Kris Humphries for Richard Jefferson  (Read 2654 times)

IDEA: Kris Humphries for Richard Jefferson
« on: June 29, 2013, 05:15:38 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 350
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
Why Golden State does this: Both are expiring contracts. One can actually help their team while the other does not. Especially with the uncertain future of Carl Landry, Golden State's need for frontcourt depth is even more exaggerated now. Humphries is a great rebounder, and his high-energy play fits right in with the Warriors hard working culture.

Why Golden State doesn't do this: There is no reason. Following a postseason where Jefferson single-handedly lost them Game 1 against the Spurs, they will gladly trade Jefferson for a similar expiring contract that will actually be of use to them.

Why Boston does this: Humphries is too talented to simply give DNPs to. Unfortunately, he plays the same position as promising young talents Sullinger and Olynyk. Bringing in RJ gives Boston a guy they'll be fine giving DNPs to, but more importantly, offer a veteran leadership in the locker room. For a rebuilding team that just lost its captain and defensive identity, a presence like RJ is certainly much needed.

Why Boston doesn't do this: Again, there is no reason. This trade is a win-win for both sides, and even though it's incredibly boring, it's highly beneficiary.

Re: IDEA: Kris Humphries for Richard Jefferson
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 05:22:37 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
FWIW, this could be expanded to Humphries + Bass for Jefferson + Biedrins.

More talent for Golden State, more savings for us -- and Biedrins can play the 5 (poorly).

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 05:25:03 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
FWIW, this could be expanded to Humphries + Bass for Jefferson + Biedrins.

More talent for Golden State, more savings for us -- and Biedrins can play the 5 (poorly).

Nice observation. Given that we have Shavlik Randolph and Fab Melo as our centers right now, it certainly wouldn't help bringing another big body at the expense of shedding a long-term contract.

Bass would be a very solid fit for the Warriors and he could even step right in to Landry's role seeing how they have similar playing styles.

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 05:30:23 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
If Golden State loses Carl Landry in free agency, I could see them being interested in this deal. Humphries would give them a pretty solid replacement and be of more value to them than Richard Jefferson is.

However, I can only imagine them being interested in this trade if that happens first. So I think this one is the waiting queue for now. Gotta see how the Carl Landry situation shakes out first.

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2013, 05:38:26 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Agree on Landry. Of course the C's should try to get a draft pick out of it as well, since we're sending out the two guys who will actually play =).

Devil's advocate here, we could also try starting Humphries alongside Sullinger, give him loads of minutes and see if he can average a double-double, Fool's Gold style, before we trade him.

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2013, 05:57:16 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
Might be forced to play him at center.

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2013, 06:14:31 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
If Golden State loses Carl Landry in free agency, I could see them being interested in this deal. Humphries would give them a pretty solid replacement and be of more value to them than Richard Jefferson is.

However, I can only imagine them being interested in this trade if that happens first. So I think this one is the waiting queue for now. Gotta see how the Carl Landry situation shakes out first.

Agreed with this. However, from a Warriors perspective, if you could make this move and then be able to resign Jarrett Jack, wouldn't you do that instead? If the Warriors try and resign Landry to a long-term deal, that severely hampers their ability to resign Jack as well.

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2013, 06:44:17 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
Can't really lead from the deep bench, and I'm never seen RJ as much of a leader anyway.

I think Wallace's hustle on the floor is a much better source of veteran leadership.

Thus, I see absolutely no point in this trade.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2013, 06:48:39 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
Can't really lead from the deep bench, and I'm never seen RJ as much of a leader anyway.

I think Wallace's hustle on the floor is a much better source of veteran leadership.

What if, like byennie said, we were able to get rid of Bass as well (in exchange for Biedrins)? Even if that doesn't happen, don't you think it's advantageous we give Sullinger and Olynyk every opportunity to develop next year?

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2013, 06:52:58 PM »

Offline connor

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
I see this as a possibility for both teams, especially if GS loses Landry, but I wouldn't consider it a good return for Boston.

They're both expiring contracts, but Humphries can actually contribute something to contending team, while Jefferson basically adds nothing. I realize the point of getting Jefferson is bringing in a guy who you can sit and isn't going to hurt our tanking, but I think Humphries on his own could bring back more than just a worse player on an expiring deal.

We'd need a pick (could probably get a 2nd rounder or two, not a first) or a young player (maybe they'd move Ezeli since he just had a knee injury and could use front court depth) in order for it to be worthwhile.

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2013, 06:56:04 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Trading away more actual players for more wastes of space!?

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2013, 06:59:44 PM »

Offline connor

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37

What if, like byennie said, we were able to get rid of Bass as well (in exchange for Biedrins)? Even if that doesn't happen, don't you think it's advantageous we give Sullinger and Olynyk every opportunity to develop next year?

I actually think the deal is worse if we include Bass for Biedrins. I think Bass did a solid job of reestablishing his value at the tail-end of the season and into the playoffs.

Bass and Humphries are both good enough to add some value to a contender. I think we could get more back than just expiring deals for worse players (especially since Humphries is expiring himself).

Now maybe I'm completely wrong about the potential market for those two, but I'd say we could at least get some 2nd round picks or projects from other teams for them.

If thats not the case, then I'd be very happy dumping them for expiring deals that will help us tank, but I have to think there is some kind of better return.

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2013, 07:16:26 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
I actually think the deal is worse if we include Bass for Biedrins. I think Bass did a solid job of reestablishing his value at the tail-end of the season and into the playoffs.

Bass and Humphries are both good enough to add some value to a contender. I think we could get more back than just expiring deals for worse players (especially since Humphries is expiring himself).

Now maybe I'm completely wrong about the potential market for those two, but I'd say we could at least get some 2nd round picks or projects from other teams for them.

If thats not the case, then I'd be very happy dumping them for expiring deals that will help us tank, but I have to think there is some kind of better return.

You know what, you're absolutely right. I think Golden State would be more than willing to give up two second rounders for this though.