Author Topic: Ainge on Kelly Olynyk  (Read 12321 times)

Re: Ainge on Kelly Olynyk
« Reply #60 on: June 29, 2013, 10:22:59 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I like that none of the comparisons I've seen on this kid really seem to fit.  The Klynyk is a unique player.  I'm starting to get excited about seeing him in Celtics green.
If he turns into Channing Frye/Ryan Anderson type of role player, I will be very happy and very surprised. Just don't know if he has that in him but my guess is this is what Danny envisions given his use of the word complimentary in describing the kid.

« Reply #61 on: June 29, 2013, 10:30:48 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I like that none of the comparisons I've seen on this kid really seem to fit.  The Klynyk is a unique player.  I'm starting to get excited about seeing him in Celtics green.
If he turns into Channing Frye/Ryan Anderson type of role player, I will be very happy and very surprised. Just don't know if he has that in him but my guess is this is what Danny envisions given his use of the word complimentary in describing the kid.

That's not what I see from him.  He doesn't look like that type of strictly spot up shooter to me.  I guess we'll see if his offensive versatility translates to the NBA.  He's got limited athleticism and explosiveness, so the kind of moves he got away with in the Pacific Conference may be made to look foolish in the NBA. 

On the other hand, there's more space to operate in the NBA, and I think he might have some stuff that ends up looking pretty genius.  It depends on if he's smart enough and tough enough to find ways to use his skills against superior athletes. 

I'm kind of starting to like his chances.  It's funny how my evaluation of Kelly Olynyk went up quite a lot after draft night. 

Green goggles?  Yeah, I wear 'em. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2013, 10:36:54 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 350
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
Scola with range.

« Reply #63 on: June 29, 2013, 10:46:14 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Channing Frye took 23 three-point attempts in college.  Brad Miller took 26.  Both guys didn't take a lot of threes their first few years in the league.  One report is that teams having Olynyk work out were not testing his three-point shooting ability.

Maybe Olynyk's upside is Andrea Bargnani with adequate defense and mediocre rather than historically bad rebounding.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #64 on: June 29, 2013, 11:21:25 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
With all these reports of his 3pt shooting, maybe we will get extremely lucky and he will be the white Antoine Walker!

« Reply #65 on: June 29, 2013, 11:30:09 PM »

fitzhickey

If he could be like brad miller and get like 15 pts and 7-10 rbs I would be very happy

« Reply #66 on: June 29, 2013, 11:36:40 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 350
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
Realistically I think we're looking at 12 points and 5 rebounds.

« Reply #67 on: June 29, 2013, 11:44:47 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Realistically I think we're looking at 12 points and 5 rebounds.

How many minutes and how efficient will he be.

Because that's not a bad stat line if he plays 20-22 minutes and shoots 50% per game.

Anything more than that, and still being efficient will be cherry on top.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #68 on: June 30, 2013, 03:47:06 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Glad to see that the Jazz liked Olynyk.  63/100 three pointers is pretty crazy range for a PF/C prospect.  Stretch 4 indeed.  :)

They absolutely were going to take him at 14. There is another thread here with a link to an interview from a Jazz reporter who says they panicked when we moved up and grabbed Olynyk, which is why they traded for Burke.

What link is this? I do not buy that at all. Reports that Burke was traded to Utah happened immediately after he was taken, no later than the 10th pick. Olynyk was taken at #13.

here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZhfjHTzf5eM

listen from 7:09 onward and make your own decision

It's from Jazz reporter David Locke's website, pretty legit.