Author Topic: Ainge on Kelly Olynyk  (Read 12300 times)

Re: Ainge on Kelly Olynyk
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2013, 08:22:12 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 350
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
They absolutely were going to take him at 14. There is another thread here with a link to an interview from a Jazz reporter who says they panicked when we moved up and grabbed Olynyk, which is why they traded for Burke.

What link is this? I do not buy that at all. Reports that Burke was traded to Utah happened immediately after he was taken, no later than the 10th pick. Olynyk was taken at #13.

« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2013, 08:27:13 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
Come on fellas. Let's be honest. If at the 13th spot you could get a 7 footer who had the ability to shoot and dribble and pass the way this kid can, had a high motor and wanted to get better, that wasn't WHITE everyone would be naming this the steal of the draft. Look at almost every comparison on here is to another white player. The kid can play. Who knows what he will turn into, but he wasn't selected in the top 5 picks and so even if all he ever turns into is a complementary player it isn't a bad pick. You'd think we could move past the "white player" labels and comparisons though. He is what he is. A 7 footer who will play the wing. I'll take a kid with legitimate skills and desire at the 13 spot any day. No matter what color he is.

« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2013, 08:28:29 PM »

Offline Yogi

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 255
I am rooting for the kid, Yogi, now he is with us.   He is not a good rebounder.

The planet where one checks rebounding percentage and rebounds per min instead of superficial glance at raw per game numbers.  What about you?

Well let's look at the numbers you claim he is so good at:

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/stats/rebounds_avg

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/player/gonzaga/kelly-olynyk?season=2012-2013

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/kelly-olynyk-1.html#all_leaderboard

147Th in RPG
157th in Off Reb PCT
195Th in Def Reb PCT

His PER is astounding but his Rebounding is mediocre at best.   

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/stats/rebounds_offensive_pct?games=1&conf=&season=2012-2013&min=

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/stats/rebounds_defensive_pct?season=2012-2013

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/stats/rebounds_total?season=2012-2013

Looks like the stats you claim to read, you didn't read or  maybe they don't have them on your planet :-*.
I claimed his rebounding is solid. 

11.8% Off. 20.5% Def. 16.5% overall is solid rebounding. 

9.95 rebounds per 36 min is solid rebounding. 

These numbers are from sports-reference.com.  His rebounding numbers are basically identical to Alex Len and Anthony Bennett and very slightly worse than Nerlens Noel.  Anymore theories?
CelticsBlog DKC Pelicans
J. Lin/I. Canaan/N. Wolters
E. Gordon/A. Shved
N. Batum/A. Roberson
A. Davis/K. Olynyk/M. Scott
D. Cousins/A. Baynes/V. Faverani
Rights: A. Abrines, R. Neto, L. Jean-Charles  Coach: M. Williams

« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2013, 08:31:19 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
They absolutely were going to take him at 14. There is another thread here with a link to an interview from a Jazz reporter who says they panicked when we moved up and grabbed Olynyk, which is why they traded for Burke.

What link is this? I do not buy that at all. Reports that Burke was traded to Utah happened immediately after he was taken, no later than the 10th pick. Olynyk was taken at #13.

here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZhfjHTzf5eM

listen from 7:09 onward and make your own decision

It's from Jazz reporter David Locke's website, pretty legit.

« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2013, 08:33:46 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Come on fellas. Let's be honest. If at the 13th spot you could get a 7 footer who had the ability to shoot and dribble and pass the way this kid can, had a high motor and wanted to get better, that wasn't WHITE everyone would be naming this the steal of the draft. Look at almost every comparison on here is to another white player. The kid can play. Who knows what he will turn into, but he wasn't selected in the top 5 picks and so even if all he ever turns into is a complementary player it isn't a bad pick. You'd think we could move past the "white player" labels and comparisons though. He is what he is. A 7 footer who will play the wing. I'll take a kid with legitimate skills and desire at the 13 spot any day. No matter what color he is.
I compared him to non-white players too.  ;D

To me, a bust is a bust, whether white or black or Chinese or Brazilian or.....

« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2013, 08:37:32 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
here's the video:

Fascinating find, thanks for it. I still question the validity of Locke's statements though. He may have been misinformed, or some other forum of miscommunication occurred.

I don't understand why they'd panic unless Minnesota wanted Olynyk, because Utah was already done drafting once they traded for Burke BEFORE Olynyk was selected.

« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2013, 08:41:39 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
here's the video:

Fascinating find, thanks for it. I still question the validity of Locke's statements though. He may have been misinformed, or some other forum of miscommunication occurred.

I don't understand why they'd panic unless Minnesota wanted Olynyk, because Utah was already done drafting once they traded for Burke BEFORE Olynyk was selected.

Maybe you're right, but from the sound of things, the Jazz heard that the celtics were trading up to take Olynyk well before the Mavs pick, and likely before the Burke trade went down. Teams hear about this stuff long before the media here's about it.

« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2013, 08:43:34 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127

I said most comparisons, however I do think that if he weren't white you wouldn't be pre-labeling the guy a bust. A 7 footer usually is either a huge slow guy who really is just big versus athletic (like Colton Iverson) or an athletic thin kid. I see a kid who wants it, and at the very least you have a good offensive player who tries hard on defense.

« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2013, 08:44:45 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

Teams  do and hear about trades way before we do. If the C's thought that the Jazz were going to take him early enough in the day. Then they call up Dallas get them to do it, and some one leaks it out. This could happen before the draft even starts. We just hear about it when the floor people get word. 

« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2013, 09:02:02 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I said most comparisons, however I do think that if he weren't white you wouldn't be pre-labeling the guy a bust. A 7 footer usually is either a huge slow guy who really is just big versus athletic (like Colton Iverson) or an athletic thin kid. I see a kid who wants it, and at the very least you have a good offensive player who tries hard on defense.
So if they had gone with Lucas Nogueira instead and I said he was going to be a bust(which I do think he will), like I said Melo would be a bust last year(I did), would that make you think maybe I'm not looking at the color of his skin but more the game he plays and his physical limitations and his lack of down low toughness?

« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2013, 09:04:47 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
here's the video:

You may have missed the part where Locke speculated that Utah found out that Boston traded up to get Olynyk about an hour before the draft.

For those who don't want to sit through the video, here is the guy's theory.

The Jazz really loved Trey Burke and Cody Zeller.  Minnesota had a guarantee for Kentavious Caldwell-Pope at #9, but he went #8.  Utah gets on the phone.

Utah was panicking because they loved Olynyk, who absolutely killed it in a three-point shooting drill, with 63 out of 100 threes in various conditions being the second-best they had.  Olynyk said no team before that workout had made him shoot threes, but his next stop was Boston.

The Jazz reportedly went into panic mode about an hour before the draft.  Locke knows that they found out something and speculates that it was news that Boston had made a deal to move up to take Olynyk.

The Jazz were interested in Burke, Zeller, Olynyk, Michael Carter-Williams, CJ McCollum, Rudy Gobert, and Shane Larkin.

With news of the Jrue Holiday, it meant that a bunch of guys they thought would be there weren't going to be there.

What I think this does is kill the idea that the Celtics did not have to trade up to get Olynyk.  People can still complain that Olynyk isn't worth it (we'll see if they are right once he plays), but Ainge did not unnecessarily throw away two picks to move up a few spots if he was locked in on Olynyk.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2013, 09:05:23 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

So if they had gone with Lucas Nogueira instead and I said he was going to be a bust(which I do think he will), like I said Melo would be a bust last year(I did), would that make you think maybe I'm not looking at the color of his skin but more the game he plays and his physical limitations and his lack of down low toughness?

I was working during the draft and took a quick look at the draft board to see that we had drafted Nogueira. I was sooo disappointed. He will be a bust. When I saw later that we traded for Olynyk, I was very pleased. Nothing to do with skin color either way. Olynyk is skilled and knows how to play, and can score. We already have a project defensive oriented big man who doesn't know the game in Melo. We didn't need another one. We also have a major lack of scorers/shooters. Olynyk helps.

« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2013, 09:18:29 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
Maybe you're right, but from the sound of things, the Jazz heard that the celtics were trading up to take Olynyk well before the Mavs pick, and likely before the Burke trade went down. Teams hear about this stuff long before the media here's about it.

Yeah, I guess that's the best explanation. We probably hear a mere fraction of what truly goes on behind the scenes, and this was probably a case where one thing that happens first didn't break until something that occurred after already did.

I'm actually very happy with this pick now. Reading behind the lines, I think the Olynyk pick gives away Ainge's vision for the team right now.

Note how Ainge stresses multiple times than Olynyk is a COMPLEMENTARY player. He says he likes athletic guys, and guys with high potential, but in the end he liked Olynyk because he's NBA-READY.

Look at Ainge's draft history. There's no doubt that if he can gamble on an athletic guy with lots of potential, he will. Honestly, most of Ainge's busts fit that mold exactly. It's very telling to me that instead of getting someone like Shabazz or Giannis, he goes out and gets Olynyk, even MOVING UP so that he could acquire him.

Ainge is collecting assets, but he's not looking to compete again in 5 years or so. He's looking to get right back into the mix now. All those assets are going to come into play so we can make the next KG/Allen trade. For everybody who loves draft picks because they net teams very affordable contributors on the rookie deal, Olynyk is that guy.

It might not be this very next year, but the C's are rolling out a contender soon. Ainge is going to bring in solid guys via trade and free agency, and Olynyk will be right there to COMPLEMENT them because he's NBA-READY.

No one else has thoughts on this?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 09:28:55 PM by rondoallaturca »

« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2013, 10:01:00 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I'm actually very happy with this pick now. Reading behind the lines, I think the Olynyk pick gives away Ainge's vision for the team right now.

Note how Ainge stresses multiple times than Olynyk is a COMPLEMENTARY player. He says he likes athletic guys, and guys with high potential, but in the end he liked Olynyk because he's NBA-READY.

Look at Ainge's draft history. There's no doubt that if he can gamble on an athletic guy with lots of potential, he will. Honestly, most of Ainge's busts fit that mold exactly. It's very telling to me that instead of getting someone like Shabazz or Giannis, he goes out and gets Olynyk, even MOVING UP so that he could acquire him.

Ainge is collecting assets, but he's not looking to compete again in 5 years or so. He's looking to get right back into the mix now. All those assets are going to come into play so we can make the next KG/Allen trade. For everybody who loves draft picks because they net teams very affordable contributors on the rookie deal, Olynyk is that guy.

It might not be this very next year, but the C's are rolling out a contender soon. Ainge is going to bring in solid guys via trade and free agency, and Olynyk will be right there to COMPLEMENT them because he's NBA-READY.

No one else has thoughts on this?

One report was that executives around the league thought that the Olynyk pick was a signal that Ainge was committed to Rondo.

Olynyk has the potential to be the kind of stretch four who I think fits well with Rondo.  He still seems to be learning how to play like a big man.  Give him a good big man coach and I think he might be a guy who will be fundamentally sound at things like boxing out, but still be a mediocre rebounder.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2013, 10:17:22 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I like that none of the comparisons I've seen on this kid really seem to fit.  The Klynyk is a unique player.  I'm starting to get excited about seeing him in Celtics green. 

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson