Author Topic: Ainge on Kelly Olynyk  (Read 12302 times)

Re: Ainge on Kelly Olynyk
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2013, 12:14:06 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
What is there to complain about?

Mike
I think you should probably ask that question in about three years when you are complaining we moved up to get Olynyk when _________ and _________were still on the board. Because in 2-3 years, the same people liking this pick are going to be pulling those complaints out because Ainge missed on some guys and chose the stiff from Gonzaga instead.

« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2013, 07:26:52 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 350
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
I'm actually very happy with this pick now. Reading behind the lines, I think the Olynyk pick gives away Ainge's vision for the team right now.

Note how Ainge stresses multiple times than Olynyk is a COMPLEMENTARY player. He says he likes athletic guys, and guys with high potential, but in the end he liked Olynyk because he's NBA-READY.

Look at Ainge's draft history. There's no doubt that if he can gamble on an athletic guy with lots of potential, he will. Honestly, most of Ainge's busts fit that mold exactly. It's very telling to me that instead of getting someone like Shabazz or Giannis, he goes out and gets Olynyk, even MOVING UP so that he could acquire him.

Ainge is collecting assets, but he's not looking to compete again in 5 years or so. He's looking to get right back into the mix now. All those assets are going to come into play so we can make the next KG/Allen trade. For everybody who loves draft picks because they net teams very affordable contributors on the rookie deal, Olynyk is that guy.

It might not be this very next year, but the C's are rolling out a contender soon. Ainge is going to bring in solid guys via trade and free agency, and Olynyk will be right there to COMPLEMENT them because he's NBA-READY.

« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2013, 07:35:13 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Brad Lohaus 2.0 is what he is!!! Be another bust and gone in 4 years
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2013, 07:52:20 PM »

Offline Yogi

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 255
7. Solid Rebounding

7 RPG from a seven footer in college is solid.   What planet are you from?
The planet where one checks rebounding percentage and rebounds per min instead of superficial glance at raw per game numbers.  What about you?
CelticsBlog DKC Pelicans
J. Lin/I. Canaan/N. Wolters
E. Gordon/A. Shved
N. Batum/A. Roberson
A. Davis/K. Olynyk/M. Scott
D. Cousins/A. Baynes/V. Faverani
Rights: A. Abrines, R. Neto, L. Jean-Charles  Coach: M. Williams

« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2013, 07:55:58 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Still shaking my head on this pick  :-[...hope he proves me wrong but highly doubt it
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2013, 07:58:16 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Brad Lohaus 2.0 is what he is!!! Be another bust and gone in 4 years

He's certainly not the athlete Lohaus was.

« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2013, 07:59:25 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
To me, Keith Van Horn seems like the best comparison, which is actually a good player to have. Not a star, not the top scorer on your team, but he will help.

« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2013, 08:01:16 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
Not liking the track record of most guys drafted out of Gonzaga. Just saying.

« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2013, 08:03:08 PM »

Offline elcotte

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 52
Complimentary? Is that code for extremely limited upside but huge bust potential?
Olynyk is probably the safest prospect in this entire draft including the top 5 players.

1. 7ft (with 9ft reach)
2. Ball Handling
3. Passing
4. Shooting(range and accuracy)
5. Post scoring
6. Transition scoring
7. Solid Rebounding
8. Filled out frame (with strong upper and lower body)
9. High IQ (with little propensity for mistakes)
10. College (and professional history with Canadian team)
11. Very solid defensive numbers in college
12. No significant injury history
13. No character issues
14. Father is a coach, Mother a referee
15. Phenomenal hand eye coordination
16. Relentless motor

Still plenty of room for improvement.  Played point guard until Junior year in high school (also quarterback in football)  Late growth spurt and red shirt year reshaping body from skinny guard to center means he hasn't fully learned how to be a big man.  Despite this he was the best big man in college by far.
Olynyk is the safest player in a draft where no one could predict the top 10 players because most GMs felt there wasn't anything special about any of the players in the top 10.

To me, that signals that the chances of players taken outside the top 10 of making it in this league are long. So if he is the safest player, to me, that signals that the safest chance for him is that he busts.

Adam Morrison was from Gonzaga too, right? Dan Dickau? Austin Daye? Richie Frahm?  They all stunk.

The only good player to ever come out of Gonzaga was John Stockton some 25 years ago.

This kid has Eric Montross, Brad Lohaus, Michael Smith, JaJuan Johnson, Jerome Moiso, and Acie Earl written all over him. Oh and a bunch of Adam Morrison too.

Why not let him play a game or at least go to a practice first? I mean really.

« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2013, 08:04:33 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I just wonder whether we thought that Milwaukee wanted him that badly at 15 (because he sure doesn't seem to address a need with the Timberwolves). Giving up two picks that may end up in the 30s next year seems a bit steep.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2013, 08:09:07 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I am rooting for the kid, Yogi, now he is with us.   He is not a good rebounder.

The planet where one checks rebounding percentage and rebounds per min instead of superficial glance at raw per game numbers.  What about you?

Well let's look at the numbers you claim he is so good at:

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/stats/rebounds_avg

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/player/gonzaga/kelly-olynyk?season=2012-2013

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/kelly-olynyk-1.html#all_leaderboard

147Th in RPG
157th in Off Reb PCT
195Th in Def Reb PCT

His PER is astounding but his Rebounding is mediocre at best.   

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/stats/rebounds_offensive_pct?games=1&conf=&season=2012-2013&min=

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/stats/rebounds_defensive_pct?season=2012-2013

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/stats/rebounds_total?season=2012-2013

Looks like the stats you claim to read, you didn't read or  maybe they don't have them on your planet :-*.

« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2013, 08:09:17 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Complimentary? Is that code for extremely limited upside but huge bust potential?
Olynyk is probably the safest prospect in this entire draft including the top 5 players.

1. 7ft (with 9ft reach)
2. Ball Handling
3. Passing
4. Shooting(range and accuracy)
5. Post scoring
6. Transition scoring
7. Solid Rebounding
8. Filled out frame (with strong upper and lower body)
9. High IQ (with little propensity for mistakes)
10. College (and professional history with Canadian team)
11. Very solid defensive numbers in college
12. No significant injury history
13. No character issues
14. Father is a coach, Mother a referee
15. Phenomenal hand eye coordination
16. Relentless motor

Still plenty of room for improvement.  Played point guard until Junior year in high school (also quarterback in football)  Late growth spurt and red shirt year reshaping body from skinny guard to center means he hasn't fully learned how to be a big man.  Despite this he was the best big man in college by far.
Olynyk is the safest player in a draft where no one could predict the top 10 players because most GMs felt there wasn't anything special about any of the players in the top 10.

To me, that signals that the chances of players taken outside the top 10 of making it in this league are long. So if he is the safest player, to me, that signals that the safest chance for him is that he busts.

Adam Morrison was from Gonzaga too, right? Dan Dickau? Austin Daye? Richie Frahm?  They all stunk.

The only good player to ever come out of Gonzaga was John Stockton some 25 years ago.

This kid has Eric Montross, Brad Lohaus, Michael Smith, JaJuan Johnson, Jerome Moiso, and Acie Earl written all over him. Oh and a bunch of Adam Morrison too.

Why not let him play a game or at least go to a practice first? I mean really.
I am sorry, am I not allowed an opinion on the guy after watching him many times this year, seeing his combine results and seeing a bunch of you-tubes on him? It seems a lot of posters have done even less than that but have come to the conclusion that Olynyk will be good and I don't see you complaining to those people about letting him play a game first.

« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2013, 08:10:41 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
I just wonder whether we thought that Milwaukee wanted him that badly at 15 (because he sure doesn't seem to address a need with the Timberwolves). Giving up two picks that may end up in the 30s next year seems a bit steep.

There are established reports that the Jazz were going to take him. They were really high on hm and thought he would complement Favors and Kanter very well. He supposedly hit the second most three pointers out of anyone in their workout drills.

« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2013, 08:13:08 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 350
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies

There are established reports that the Jazz were going to take him. They were really high on hm and thought he would complement Favors and Kanter very well. He supposedly hit the second most three pointers out of anyone in their workout drills.

The Jazz had interest, but wouldn't have taken him at #14 regardless. Keep in mind they traded for Burke.

I agree with kozlodoev. There was absolutely no need to trade up for Olynyk. We effectively lost two second rounders for the privilege of paying Olynyk a bit more. I don't get that.

« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2013, 08:16:25 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

The Jazz had interest, but wouldn't have taken him at #14 regardless. Keep in mind they traded for Burke.

I agree with kozlodoev. There was absolutely no need to trade up for Olynyk. We effectively lost two second rounders for the privilege of paying Olynyk a bit more. I don't get that.

They absolutely were going to take him at 14. There is another thread here with a link to an interview from a Jazz reporter who says they panicked when we moved up and grabbed Olynyk, which is why they traded for Burke.