Author Topic: Ainge on Kelly Olynyk  (Read 12281 times)

Re: Ainge on Kelly Olynyk
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2013, 12:23:55 AM »

Offline Yogi

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 255
Complimentary? Is that code for extremely limited upside but huge bust potential?
Olynyk is probably the safest prospect in this entire draft including the top 5 players.

1. 7ft (with 9ft reach)
2. Ball Handling
3. Passing
4. Shooting(range and accuracy)
5. Post scoring
6. Transition scoring
7. Solid Rebounding
8. Filled out frame (with strong upper and lower body)
9. High IQ (with little propensity for mistakes)
10. College (and professional history with Canadian team)
11. Very solid defensive numbers in college
12. No significant injury history
13. No character issues
14. Father is a coach, Mother a referee
15. Phenomenal hand eye coordination
16. Relentless motor

Still plenty of room for improvement.  Played point guard until Junior year in high school (also quarterback in football)  Late growth spurt and red shirt year reshaping body from skinny guard to center means he hasn't fully learned how to be a big man.  Despite this he was the best big man in college by far. 
CelticsBlog DKC Pelicans
J. Lin/I. Canaan/N. Wolters
E. Gordon/A. Shved
N. Batum/A. Roberson
A. Davis/K. Olynyk/M. Scott
D. Cousins/A. Baynes/V. Faverani
Rights: A. Abrines, R. Neto, L. Jean-Charles  Coach: M. Williams

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2013, 12:29:07 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
reminds me of a little more athletic Brad Miller, with not as much strength....yet

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2013, 12:30:16 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
That story about Olynyk crushing a 3 pt drill for the Jazz reminds me of Keith Van Horn, who had similar workouts in 97.  That would be a pretty great ceiling for a #13 pick.

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2013, 12:31:21 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
reminds me of a little more athletic Brad Miller, with not as much strength....yet

Miller could board. I would like Miller.

I would be very happy with a Brad Miller/Mehmet Okur player.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2013, 12:39:06 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbqIfvu79NQ

He looks more fit then I thought.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2013, 12:54:17 AM »

Offline syfy9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • We may as well put Tyrion in at center.

He runs up and down the court pretty well for someone his size too.
I like Marcus Smart

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2013, 12:56:37 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367

He runs up and down the court pretty well for someone his size too.

I noticed that too.

So his bad defense is because of his lack of lateral quickness?

If so perhaps if he bulks up he would just be a bad help defender.

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2013, 10:32:02 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Complimentary? Is that code for extremely limited upside but huge bust potential?
Olynyk is probably the safest prospect in this entire draft including the top 5 players.

1. 7ft (with 9ft reach)
2. Ball Handling
3. Passing
5. Post scoring
6. Transition scoring
7. Solid Rebounding
13. No character issues
16. Relentless motor

Still plenty of room for improvement.  Played point guard until Junior year in high school (also quarterback in football)  Late growth spurt and red shirt year reshaping body from skinny guard to center means he hasn't fully learned how to be a big man.  Despite this he was the best big man in college by far.
Olynyk is the safest player in a draft where no one could predict the top 10 players because most GMs felt there wasn't anything special about any of the players in the top 10.

To me, that signals that the chances of players taken outside the top 10 of making it in this league are long. So if he is the safest player, to me, that signals that the safest chance for him is that he busts.

Adam Morrison was from Gonzaga too, right? Dan Dickau? Austin Daye? Richie Frahm?  They all stunk.

The only good player to ever come out of Gonzaga was John Stockton some 25 years ago.

This kid has Eric Montross, Brad Lohaus, Michael Smith, JaJuan Johnson, Jerome Moiso, and Acie Earl written all over him. Oh and a bunch of Adam Morrison too.

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2013, 10:46:20 AM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429

1. 7ft (with 9ft reach)
2. Ball Handling
3. Passing
5. Post scoring
6. Transition scoring
7. Solid Rebounding
13. No character issues
16. Relentless motor

Olynyk is the safest player in a draft where no one could predict the top 10 players because most GMs felt there wasn't anything special about any of the players in the top 10.

To me, that signals that the chances of players taken outside the top 10 of making it in this league are long. So if he is the safest player, to me, that signals that the safest chance for him is that he busts.

Adam Morrison was from Gonzaga too, right? Dan Dickau? Austin Daye? Richie Frahm?  They all stunk.

The only good player to ever come out of Gonzaga was John Stockton some 25 years ago.

This kid has Eric Montross, Brad Lohaus, Michael Smith, JaJuan Johnson, Jerome Moiso, and Acie Earl written all over him. Oh and a bunch of Adam Morrison too.

Hope I am dead wrong, but have to +1 this. Gonzaga plays in a really weak conference. Wonder how he faired against stronger teams and better players?

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2013, 10:56:45 AM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
Can't defend any worse than AJefferson, better hands/instinct than Perk, and won't have as much trouble finishing around the basket as Sully.

Finally a big that has length,  can catch, shoot and finish.....not named Garnett.  I say give the kid Bass minutes and lets see what we have.

I am ok with Kelly O

« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2013, 11:01:00 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Kelly played against 3 top 25 teams last year.

Against #13 Illinois:  16 pts./ 8 rebs./ 1 block/ and 1 steal on 7-9 shooting

Against #22 Oklahoma State:  21 pts./ 9 rebs/1 assist on 7-12 shooting

Against #13 Butler: 14 points/ 7 rebs./ 2 assists/ 1 block/ 2 steals/ on 5-12 shooting. (Did shoot 4-5 at the FT line.)

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2013, 11:27:40 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
So his bad defense is because of his lack of lateral quickness?

If so perhaps if he bulks up he would just be a bad help defender.
Poor lateral quickness + poor anticipation + somewhat suspect effort. He doesn't seem to show up hard on pick and rolls, and generally doesn't seem to display good court awareness with respect to where the open man is going, or where the ball is going to bounce off the rim.

Of course, that's just from watching the scouting video -- and also may be explained in part by the fact that he hast played big for that long.

But regardless, I don't see him as a center. Lacks the mindset.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2013, 11:32:11 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I think an Olynyk-Sullinger frontcourt is going to work really well. Give them both a ton of minutes with Jeff Green at the 3, and ship Bass out of town somehow. Let the kids develop while we move towards the 2014 lottery.

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2013, 11:38:26 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

1. 7ft (with 9ft reach)
2. Ball Handling
3. Passing
5. Post scoring
6. Transition scoring
7. Solid Rebounding
13. No character issues
16. Relentless motor

Oh for pete's sake.  There's NO reason to think Olynyk is going to be Acie Earl or Adam Morrison or Jerome Moiso or JuJuan Johnson.  As for Montross, he spent 8 years in the league and averaged 10 pts a game his rookie season and 9 rebounds a game his 4th year in the league.  Lohaus spent 11 years in the NBA and twice averaged more than 9 points a game for a season.  Smith spent 9 years in the league and averaged 7 boards a game for his career.

If Olynyk can be as good as Montross, Lohaus or Smith and all Ainge had to give up for him was a non-lottery pick in a bad draft and two 2nd round picks in a great draft where Boston already has two 1st rounders?  What is there to complain about?

Mike

« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2013, 12:11:30 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
7. Solid Rebounding

7 RPG from a seven footer in college is solid.   What planet are you from?