Author Topic: Bill Simmons  (Read 16750 times)

Re: Bill Simmons
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2013, 01:09:44 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
basic respect for athletes.

Last time I checked they put they their pants the same way I do one leg at a time.   I think there is too much respect with hathletes.   I think it is nice to not have someone who worship them ask them some questions.

I don't have problem with Simmons or Doc, right now.

Simmons is a fan and the fan came out.   If this was a lot of you, you instantly go into butt kiss mode and not ask the hard question.

It's not the biggest deal in the world.  I just personally can't get behind a guy who's never played basketball and then when Mason Plumlee gets picked, who Bilas had ranked 13 in talent, he says:  "So is he a rich man's Greg Stiemsa, a poor man's Greg Steimsa, or Greg Steimsa?  Okay Shane over to you for the player interview....

Not saying Mason will be good, but can Steimsma jump like Mason.  Are they in any way similar?

It's just not a style I dig.  He insults both Greg and Mason for a much too easy laugh.
to be fair Bill is in no way the only guy that says negative things about prospects on draft night.

« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2013, 01:13:51 PM »

Offline syfy9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • We may as well put Tyrion in at center.
What it comes down to is that you can trust Simmons to call it like he sees it, ask inconvenient questions, and give his honest opinion. When it comes to doc and to a certain extent DA and the Celtics front office and all the "sources" in the papers you don't know what to trust. So to me I see a guy who was under contract, who publicly started questioning his role and future here and was suddenly not here. I call that quitting. Maybe even mutual quitting, but still quitting, no matter how much his son Jeremiah cries a Rivers. That's not my problem or Bill Simmons problem. It's doc's. Because he is a quitter. Now I have to wonder if the reason he didn't beat up rondo is because he quit mid fight.
I like Marcus Smart

« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2013, 01:16:23 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
Bottom line is Rivers did us a favor.  Whether he quit or not.

« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2013, 01:18:29 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Can't believe so many of you have fallen for Bill this broadcast is all about me Simmons.

Not saying the rest of the panel was good.  They could do a lot better.

The whole "but he's so honest" line I find laughable.  He's an instigator
who lacks basic respect for athletes.
doc didn't instigate anything? All that wondering out loud didn't force any hands? All those anonymous sources close to the Celtics who kept popping up had nothing to do with doc? Not only did doc quit, but he was sneaky about it. I'm shocked shocked to hear someone call me a quitter! Here's your new clippers contract. Oh. Thank you very much.  Doc is a sneaky quitter, who willingly left the Celtics and wants it both ways. Doesn't want to be here for rebuilding and doesn't want to be called a quitter. We that's just too bad. Cry me a Rivers.

A good situation arose, which Doc admitted.  If it hadn't, Doc might have joined the broadcast booth.  Or, as it seemed right at the end, returned to the Celtics, which was his last ACTUAL decision before the deal worked out and the Celtics got the pick.

So, Doc left.  I don't think he shocked the Celtics in any way.  So, my question is why does someone need to be called a quitter.  Why does the phrase "quit on" need to be used.  Isn't that just a phrase to excite fans and boost media ratings, stir up controversy, etc..?   Especially when it comes form the mouth of a major Doc basher historically?

Why do we jump to yes yes he's a quitter.  Do people really feel victimized?  Are we so in love with labels?   

Quitting on is a strong condemnation of someone.  There needs to be no mutuality
for it to apply.  And that's not the case here.
when a guy has a huge contract that he signed knowing there'd be a rebuild and then started wondering "what should I do" LeBron style? Noooooo I'd say it's pretty necessary to call him a quitter. 
Now traditionally this is the point where I make an analogy to calling Aaron Hernandez what he actually is and then someone says I'm comparing doc to Hernandez. Just call things what they are no matter who or what they are

« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2013, 01:19:39 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Why do people even care that Doc left.  Good riddance.  Will be the best thing for the C's moving forward.  At least we dont have to watch gerald wallace iso's every game to end the game :P

« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2013, 01:23:18 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Can't believe so many of you have fallen for Bill this broadcast is all about me Simmons.

doc didn't instigate anything? All that wondering out loud didn't force any hands? All those anonymous sources close to the Celtics who kept popping up had nothing to do with doc? Not only did doc quit, but he was sneaky about it. I'm shocked shocked to hear someone call me a quitter! Here's your new clippers contract. Oh. Thank you very much.  Doc is a sneaky quitter, who willingly left the Celtics and wants it both ways. Doesn't want to be here for rebuilding and doesn't want to be called a quitter. We that's just too bad. Cry me a Rivers.

A good situation arose, which Doc admitted.  If it hadn't, Doc might have joined the broadcast booth.  Or, as it seemed right at the end, returned to the Celtics, which was his last ACTUAL decision before the deal worked out and the Celtics got the pick.

So, Doc left.  I don't think he shocked the Celtics in any way.  So, my question is why does someone need to be called a quitter.  Why does the phrase "quit on" need to be used.  Isn't that just a phrase to excite fans and boost media ratings, stir up controversy, etc..?   Especially when it comes form the mouth of a major Doc basher historically?

Why do we jump to yes yes he's a quitter.  Do people really feel victimized?  Are we so in love with labels?   

Quitting on is a strong condemnation of someone.  There needs to be no mutuality
when a guy has a huge contract that he signed knowing there'd be a rebuild and then started wondering "what should I do" LeBron style? Noooooo I'd say it's pretty necessary to call him a quitter. 
Now traditionally this is the point where I make an analogy to calling Aaron Hernandez what he actually is and then someone says I'm comparing doc to Hernandez. Just call things what they are no matter who or what they are

Aren't some huge percentage of contracts somewhat wink wink.  I mean their length allows teams to avoid having to constantly re-negotiate.  I think there's often an understaning that burnout is a real phenomena and players stop listening and coaches get fed up, etc etc etc  Things are always in flux

When did an NBA contract become something so Godfatherish?

« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2013, 01:28:36 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

Aren't some huge percentage of contracts somewhat wink wink.  I mean their length allows teams to avoid having to constantly re-negotiate.  I think there's often an understaning that burnout is a real phenomena and players stop listening and coaches get fed up, etc etc etc  Things are always in flux

then just admit you quit the Celtics and went to greener pastures. What is so hard about that? Stop calling Simmons an idiot and telling us not to believe our own eyes

« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2013, 01:32:58 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker

then just admit you quit the Celtics and went to greener pastures. What is so hard about that? Stop calling Simmons an idiot and telling us not to believe our own eyes

He did that when he said he couldn't see himself doing another rebuild, and when he said he benefitted from what was finally worked out.  Keep in mind when this started he saw himself coaching KG and PP with Chris Paul and Blake Griffin.  He'd have been a big time idiot not to say yes to that while Danny dives for Wiggins....

« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2013, 01:36:03 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

He did that when he said he couldn't see himself doing another rebuild, and when he said he benefitted from what was finally worked out.  Keep in mind when this started he saw himself coaching KG and PP with Chris Paul and Blake Griffin.  He'd have been a big time idiot not to say yes to that while Danny dives for Wiggins....
then he needs to say "Bill Simmons is right and I was wrong"

« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2013, 01:46:59 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker

That's silly.  Do you hand out cookies to people who have spent most of their adulthood bashing you?

....still think we disagree on what qualifies as quitting verses leaving.  Let's agree then on the Dallas megadeal over there in the other thread :o

« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2013, 01:54:42 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

:

That's silly.  Do you hand out cookies to people who have spent most of their adulthood bashing you?

....still think we disagree on what qualifies as quitting verses leaving.  Let's agree then on the Dallas megadeal over there in the other thread :o
there's a Dallas mega deal? I'll be right there

« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2013, 02:06:56 PM »

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER

QLD

QUIT
Doc
"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-

« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2013, 02:17:28 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
LOL at Doc apologists.

Don't you love it when he tried to claim the upper ground after calling Simmons an idiot. Well we know Simmons is not an idiot so Doc was wrong when he called him one.

We do however know that Doc is a quitter because he quit on his contract with the Celtics. He definitely did not stay to fight.

Doc quit every year after the playoffs to think about whether his quit would be temporary or permanent. Well the quit finally became permanent this year.

Own it Doc, you quit.

« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2013, 11:46:37 PM »

Offline paidthecost2betheboss

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 40
LOL at Doc apologists.

Don't you love it when he tried to claim the upper ground after calling Simmons an idiot. Well we know Simmons is not an idiot so Doc was wrong when he called him one.

We do however know that Doc is a quitter because he quit on his contract with the Celtics. He definitely did not stay to fight.

Doc quit every year after the playoffs to think about whether his quit would be temporary or permanent. Well the quit finally became permanent this year.

Own it Doc, you quit.

This is all "noise".

Timeline starts.
(You can pick right after the Knick's loss or right after the Nets overture...take your pick)

I'm not interested in anyone's including Simmons "opinions"

Follow the timeline. The letter which refutes Doc's claim was sent May 8th. Doc can set that aside by saying what he did which was he doesn't doubt he got the letter he just never opened it.

So You have a guy going through his year end Hamlet spiel and right after receiving overtures from the Nets your boss sends you a letter. Why not call? Why not meet? (Communication breakdown for folks in a close relationship??...but I clearly digress)..anyway so the letter with very clear business terms stating Doc was expected to fulfill his contract  goes unopened.

That is very odd hard to believe and supremely convenient for a person who's narrative jumps to a meeting with Ainge that is happening in the midsts of the Clippers offer. If you didn't know any better you'd think it was before.

I could care less about Simmons. I do care that we are one of 2 teams in the entire NBA WITHOUT A COACH.
I don't even care about quitting.....I think he lied and manipulated my favorite team into a bad position at a bad time and that infuriates me.