Author Topic: Bill Simmons  (Read 16667 times)

Re: Bill Simmons
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2013, 09:20:49 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Bill isn't a ra ra league puppet like some of the other hacks they have.   He asks tough questions and is sometimes blunt and rubs some the wrong way but to me, it is refreshing in this day where people are fawning all the time.   I wish we had guys like him in political news.   He is a dying breed, a journalist not a propagandist.

« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2013, 09:32:26 AM »

Offline paidthecost2betheboss

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 40
Bill isn't a ra ra league puppet like some of the other hacks they have.   He asks tough questions and is sometimes blunt and rubs some the wrong way but to me, it is refreshing in this day where people are fawning all the time.   I wish we had guys like him in political news.   He is a dying breed, a journalist not a propagandist.

I only knew of him from a series he wrote about the 2004 Red Sox and the comeback against the Yanks. I was reading it at the time and can't remember who he wrote for or if he had a blog? I was laughing my ....off a lot. Next thing I know years later and he was writing about the ....Clips? He moved to Cali or something?
Ironic that the Clips and Celts were in this drama.

I'm am quite happy that Doc chose him to insult on T.V. in a classic passive aggressive manner. The irony of that specific moment.....is wicked.
He seems like the guy who will write a very good book that will detail with wit the animosity and anger he feels as a fan and a person who just feels like they are being lied to.

« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2013, 10:00:22 AM »

Offline timobusa

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 284
  • Bleed Green, Die Green
That awkward moment when you realize that Bill Simmons is a Clippers Season Ticket holder.

Should be a fun year in LA LA land.

I'm 100% behind Bill.

« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2013, 11:12:13 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Can't believe so many of you have fallen for Bill this broadcast is all about me Simmons.

Not saying the rest of the panel was good.  They could do a lot better.

The whole "but he's so honest" line I find laughable.  He's an instigator
who lacks basic respect for athletes.

« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2013, 11:25:53 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
He's an instigator

Even if that were true, it would be a fine counterpoint to the endless slurping the national media give out.  Someone needs to point out when the emperor has not clothes.

Mike

« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2013, 11:34:53 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Can't believe so many of you have fallen for Bill this broadcast is all about me Simmons.

doc didn't instigate anything? All that wondering out loud didn't force any hands? All those anonymous sources close to the Celtics who kept popping up had nothing to do with doc? Not only did doc quit, but he was sneaky about it. I'm shocked shocked to hear someone call me a quitter! Here's your new clippers contract. Oh. Thank you very much.  Doc is a sneaky quitter, who willingly left the Celtics and wants it both ways. Doesn't want to be here for rebuilding and doesn't want to be called a quitter. We that's just too bad. Cry me a Rivers.

« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2013, 11:35:37 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I think I like Bill Simmons.

I think he is right. Point is, Doc signed a lengthy contract  knowing that at some point rebuilding is in the store, and then he decided to leave when it happened.

Now I don't know the truth of course, just piecing logic and information I have heard but to me, but if Doc never really "quit" on the team, then why did he not even try to fight for the Celtics coaching job? That's just me, I believe Bill and I admire his guts to say it like it is on National TV.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2013, 11:44:34 AM »

Offline paidthecost2betheboss

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 40

Ya know...ya put that in quotes so i looked at every post in this thread and found the words "Honest" and "opinion" next to each other but not what you quoted?

Can ya give me back my 10 minutes and can you actualy use the quote function instead of making stuff up while defending a guy ...who...ironically....seemed to make a lot of stuff up.

« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2013, 12:21:38 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
basic respect for athletes.

Last time I checked they put they their pants the same way I do one leg at a time.   I think there is too much respect with athletes.   I think it is nice to not have someone who worship them ask them some questions.

I don't have problem with Simmons or Doc, right now.

Simmons is a fan and the fan came out.   If this was a lot of you, you instantly go into butt kiss mode and not ask the hard question.   

« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2013, 12:30:39 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
basic respect for athletes.

Last time I checked they put they their pants the same way I do one leg at a time.   I think there is too much respect with athletes.   I think it is nice to not have someone who worship them ask them some questions.

I don't have problem with Simmons or Doc, right now.

Simmons is a fan and the fan came out.   If this was a lot of you, you instantly go into butt kiss mode and not ask the hard question.

It's not the biggest deal in the world.  I just personally can't get behind a guy who's never played basketball and then when Mason Plumlee gets picked, who Bilas had ranked 13 in talent, he says:  "So is he a rich man's Greg Stiemsa, a poor man's Greg Steimsa, or Greg Steimsa?  Okay Shane over to you for the player interview....

Not saying Mason will be good, but can Steimsma jump like Mason.  Are they in any way similar?

It's just not a style I dig.  He insults both Greg and Mason for a much too easy laugh. 

« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2013, 12:31:51 PM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
You know I didn't really mean this thread as a Doc bashing platform. There are already a few Doc threads for all that animosity. I was more trying to say that I appreciate what Simmons did in the draft and what he's done all year.

Watching the draft, and the subsequent season of Bill on ESPN/ABC makes me sort of glad he's on TV. I like his humor, instigating though it my be. I like his creative ideas about trades and his candor in talking about players, coaches and their surround situations. I also think he's one of the few pundits that loudly proclaims his own mistakes. That is what I meant by this thread, not do bash Doc but to laud Bill on being a fan's pundit instead of just saying "wow Magic you're so right I worship you" or just talking about Lebron James 24/7 as most do.

Personally I'm glad Doc got mad. Now he knows how some of us felt when he jumped ship. But I'm even more glad that Simmons said what a lot of Celtic's fans were thinking. It's just nice to hear that stuff on TV here and there.

« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2013, 12:33:15 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker

Ya know...ya put that in quotes so i looked at every post in this thread and found the words "Honest" and "opinion" next to each other but not what you quoted?

Can ya give me back my 10 minutes and can you actualy use the quote function instead of making stuff up while defending a guy ...who...ironically....seemed to make a lot of stuff up.

Sorry.  Thought a bunch of people were praising him for speaking his mind, telling it like it is, and the like.  I know I read honest once, a basic synonym for the rest...

But you win.  I have no right to wish others didn't enjoy his humor style.  Enjoy.

« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2013, 12:47:06 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker

doc didn't instigate anything? All that wondering out loud didn't force any hands? All those anonymous sources close to the Celtics who kept popping up had nothing to do with doc? Not only did doc quit, but he was sneaky about it. I'm shocked shocked to hear someone call me a quitter! Here's your new clippers contract. Oh. Thank you very much.  Doc is a sneaky quitter, who willingly left the Celtics and wants it both ways. Doesn't want to be here for rebuilding and doesn't want to be called a quitter. We that's just too bad. Cry me a Rivers.

A good situation arose, which Doc admitted.  If it hadn't, Doc might have joined the broadcast booth.  Or, as it seemed right at the end, returned to the Celtics, which was his last ACTUAL decision before the deal worked out and the Celtics got the pick.

So, Doc left.  I don't think he shocked the Celtics in any way.  So, my question is why does someone need to be called a quitter.  Why does the phrase "quit on" need to be used.  Isn't that just a phrase to excite fans and boost media ratings, stir up controversy, etc..?   Especially when it comes form the mouth of a major Doc basher historically?

Why do we jump to yes yes he's a quitter.  Do people really feel victimized?  Are we so in love with labels?   

Quitting on is a strong condemnation of someone.  There needs to be no mutuality
for it to apply.  And that's not the case here.

« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2013, 12:54:12 PM »

Offline elcotte

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 52
He's not right about Doc.  It was a mutual decision between the Celtics and Doc.  The Celtics want to tank and don't want to pay 8 million a year for a babysitter.  Doc didn't want to babysit a team that is trying to lose games.   

The confusion stems from the fact that there was a lot of PR being played from the Celtics and Doc in case the Clippers thing didn't work out... so any "flip flopping" might give off the wrong impression, but really it was just Boston covering their bases and maintaining leverage in case things didn't work out with the Clippers.  Blaming Doc is stupid.  Boston is heading in a different direction that involves 3-5 years of lotto basketball.  We got an unprotected 1st rounder for Doc which is the biggest haul ever for a coach.  Nothing to see here... move on.  Simmons has a warped perception based on media manipulations and not reality. 

Neither Doc nor the Celtics can flat out come out and say "Hey... we're tanking this season.  We don't want to win games.  We're trading KG, Pierce... and probably Rondo so we can get building blocks for the future... we don't want to pay 8 million a year for a coach to babysit our children"... because it makes Boston look bad and the league really frowns on tankers... it hurts ticket sales and puts the league in a negative spot.  You gotta take that stuff into context.

I agree with you.
I think Simmons is way out of line on this....He's acting like Bill O'reilly.
The C's could have held him to the terms of the contract but decided not to. That should be good enough for Simmons. End of story.
I think he needs to stop being a blow hard....There's no reason to make a big deal out of this.
The draft pick is more valuable than Doc coaching a young, inexperienced team.

« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2013, 01:06:53 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
He's not right about Doc.  It was a mutual decision between the Celtics and Doc.  The Celtics want to tank and don't want to pay 8 million a year for a babysitter.  Doc didn't want to babysit a team that is trying to lose games.   

The confusion stems from the fact that there was a lot of PR being played from the Celtics and Doc in case the Clippers thing didn't work out... so any "flip flopping" might give off the wrong impression, but really it was just Boston covering their bases and maintaining leverage in case things didn't work out with the Clippers.  Blaming Doc is stupid.  Boston is heading in a different direction that involves 3-5 years of lotto basketball.  We got an unprotected 1st rounder for Doc which is the biggest haul ever for a coach.  Nothing to see here... move on.  Simmons has a warped perception based on media manipulations and not reality. 

Neither Doc nor the Celtics can flat out come out and say "Hey... we're tanking this season.  We don't want to win games.  We're trading KG, Pierce... and probably Rondo so we can get building blocks for the future... we don't want to pay 8 million a year for a coach to babysit our children"... because it makes Boston look bad and the league really frowns on tankers... it hurts ticket sales and puts the league in a negative spot.  You gotta take that stuff into context.

I agree with you.
I think Simmons is way out of line on this....He's acting like Bill O'reilly.
The C's could have held him to the terms of the contract but decided not to. That should be good enough for Simmons. End of story.
I think he needs to stop being a blow hard....There's no reason to make a big deal out of this.
The draft pick is more valuable than Doc coaching a young, inexperienced team.

Yes.  LarBrd33 stated it perfectly.  it's all PR.