Author Topic: Bill Simmons  (Read 16665 times)

Re: Bill Simmons
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2013, 12:46:43 AM »

Offline Yogi

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 255
What would you rather have?

Pay 7 mil a year for Doc to coach a team without KG and Pierce?

or

Have another coach for much less money, and an unprotected draft pick?

Of course this was mutual.  Why would the Celtics want Doc to coach a young team at 7M when they could get a cheaper coach and an extra first round pick?  Literally every one wins in this scenario except for confused fans who want to put their fear of change and sadness in losing a team we had grown close to one some scapegoat.  Doc, Danny, Wyk, Paul, KG, Billy King, Prokorov, Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Jason Kidd everyone got exactly what they all wanted.
CelticsBlog DKC Pelicans
J. Lin/I. Canaan/N. Wolters
E. Gordon/A. Shved
N. Batum/A. Roberson
A. Davis/K. Olynyk/M. Scott
D. Cousins/A. Baynes/V. Faverani
Rights: A. Abrines, R. Neto, L. Jean-Charles  Coach: M. Williams

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2013, 12:51:06 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
At this point who cares. They both look pretty immature.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2013, 01:11:44 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
He's not right about Doc.  It was a mutual decision between the Celtics and Doc.  The Celtics want to tank and don't want to pay 8 million a year for a babysitter.  Doc didn't want to babysit a team that is trying to lose games.   

You are absolutely wrong.

2006-07 Boston Celtics
In 2007, with Greg Oden and Kevin Durant as the big lottery prizes, several teams were openly questioned about apparent tanking, including the Boston Celtics, Milwaukee Bucks and Memphis Grizzlies, the three teams that ended up with the best chance of drafting Oden or Durant.

In one notorious game late in the season, the Celtics, playing at home, led the woeful Bobcats 69-51 late in the third quarter -- and managed to lose the game by eight points, enhancing their draft positioning. Of course, Celtics coach Doc Rivers denied tanking charges. As Steve Bulpett reported in the Boston Herald: “Rivers insisted there was nothing sinister about leaving Paul Pierce (game-high 23 points) on the bench for the fourth quarter and letting the quintet of Sebastian Telfair, Ryan Gomes, Gerald Green, Allan Ray and Leon Powe stay on the parquet as the lead -- still at 10 with nine minutes left in the game -- disappeared.”

In the final week of the season, the Celtics and Bucks, both maneuvering for the best possible draft position, played each other and gave DNPs to high scorers Paul Pierce, Al Jefferson, Wally Szczerbiak, Michael Redd and Mo Williams.

After the game, the Associated Press reported:
Ryan Gomes had 13 through three quarters, but watched from the bench in the fourth as Boston clinched the worst record in the Eastern Conference and second worst in the league.

"I probably (would have played), but since we were in the hunt for a high draft pick, of course things are different," Gomes said. "I understand that. Hopefully things get better. Now that we clinched at least having the second-most balls in the lottery, the last three games we'll see what happens. We'll see if we can go out and finish some games."

Doc didn't wanna tank   AGAIN...
Let's not remotely imply that it is somehow beneath Doc to do what he has already done before.

And Wyc stated that Doc came to them about the Clippers idea. He said that. Doc admitted today that a letter sent on May 8th stimulated by the Nets inquiry into Doc which stated THEY (Celtics) EXPECTED DOC TO HONOR HIS CONTRACT.....Doc just said today he doesn't doubt they sent it...he just never opened it...a letter....from the folks paying you 7 million while your staying silent about your future.....he didn't even open a letter from his boss?

The only thing more bizzare than the Doc fiasco is watching folks try to make it seem mutual which it wasn't. I doubt Wyc talks just for the joy of hearing his own voice.

Simmons said own it. I agree.

I wish people would stop bringing up that Gomes quote. The guy with the worst +/- on the team (by a decent margin) shouldn't be trying to tell everyone that the team lost because he didn't play enough. Whatever was wrong with the team wasn't getting better the more Gomes played, it was getting worse.

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2013, 01:12:42 AM »

Offline syfy9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • We may as well put Tyrion in at center.
I haven't read Bill Simmons book.  From everything I've heard from him and watched on TV, he knows very little about anything.  He is like a less intelligent Mike Felger or a more charismatic Skip Bayless.

I strongly recommend you should. The one word I'd describe him with is "innovative", sometimes to a fault. Often to a fault, for some. He suggested in his book to add a 4/5 point half-court play once.

Either way, he's a good basketball mind who has seen and talked with many people. You can say that he's just an ordinary fan made famous, but he has more, better perspective than the general people.

The one thing I loved about his book was his take on the Hall of Fame. It was very intriguing - having it set up as a pyramid instead is brilliant.

He had a tier 4, tier 3, tier 2, and then a tier 1 (w/ a top 12 greatest thingy going on). He also had a separate section for notable role players that will be remembered for their work in basketball (Laimbeer, Horry, Fisher, etc).

Here's his top 96 - http://www.basketball-reference.com/awards/simmons_pyramid.html
I like Marcus Smart

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2013, 01:27:29 AM »

Offline Mikedmx6

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11
Doc has flip flopped so bad in this situation and if you don't see that you're lying to yourself. I love when people keep saying would you rather pay 7 mil for a coach to rebuild or another coach for much less, I'm 99 percent sure its not our money paying him so who cares what he makes to coach the celtics. Doc claims he knew this trade was going to happen for weeks which tells me he took the easy way out and didnt want to rebuild. He called Danny and told him I'm staying and I'm giving it 110 percent whether we rebuilt or not. That's so bogus it's crazy it that were true when his agent called to mention the clippers deal he could've said no I already told Danny I'm giving 110 percent, and that's what I intend to do. So much for bleeding green doc. Kg n pierce bleed green now to, this stuff is all crap n they all gave up n quit on the celtics and ray started it all. It's BULL and as a diehard fan I see it differently.

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2013, 01:38:17 AM »

Offline paidthecost2betheboss

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 40

or

It's not my money bro. Apparently the folks writing the checks think different than you do. The nets owner is a billionaire and he inquired before the Clips and it caused ownership to deny them (and any package they coulda offered was clearly better if picks was the goal)The Celts sent a letter on May 8th that was apparently never opened according to Rivers which stated management expected him to honor his contract.

Of course this was mutual.  Why would the Celtics want Doc to coach a young team at 7M when they could get a cheaper coach and an extra first round pick?

Oh yeeeah...of course it was ??? Ignore Wyc and Danny and take Doc at his word ....which are the least consistent and make the least sense of the 3.

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2013, 01:57:26 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Celtics really expected Doc to honor his contract? Nooooooooo  lol
You guys do not understand employment contracts. The employer cannot expect anything from a contract. Ask them lol

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2013, 02:11:07 AM »

Offline Yogi

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 255

or

It's not my money bro. Apparently the folks writing the checks think different than you do. The nets owner is a billionaire and he inquired before the Clips and it caused ownership to deny them (and any package they coulda offered was clearly better if picks was the goal)The Celts sent a letter on May 8th that was apparently never opened according to Rivers which stated management expected him to honor his contract.

Of course this was mutual.  Why would the Celtics want Doc to coach a young team at 7M when they could get a cheaper coach and an extra first round pick?

Oh yeeeah...of course it was ??? Ignore Wyc and Danny and take Doc at his word ....which are the least consistent and make the least sense of the 3.

My dear beloved brother presumably from another mother,
Doc had no interest in coaching the Nets by his own admission.  You realize no one is going to give out picks if Doc is not going to coach for them right?

You need to go back and hear Wyc, Pags and Danny's interviews.  They wanted Doc to coach, but they would also be happy saving millions and have extra draft picks.  Just like they love KG, Paul and Terry but don't mind trading them to save money and gather draft picks.

I understand it's not your money.  The Celtics are not your team.  Doc Rivers is not your coach.  Paul and KG are not your players.  Is there a point to be made?  Because the fact that it is not your money is utterly irrelevant, self-evident and not the least bit interesting.
CelticsBlog DKC Pelicans
J. Lin/I. Canaan/N. Wolters
E. Gordon/A. Shved
N. Batum/A. Roberson
A. Davis/K. Olynyk/M. Scott
D. Cousins/A. Baynes/V. Faverani
Rights: A. Abrines, R. Neto, L. Jean-Charles  Coach: M. Williams

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2013, 02:18:42 AM »

Offline paidthecost2betheboss

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 40

or

My dear beloved brother presumably from another mother,
Doc had no interest in coaching the Nets by his own admission.  You realize no one is going to give out picks if Doc is not going to coach for them right?

You need to go back and hear Wyc, Pags and Danny's interviews.  They wanted Doc to coach, but they would also be happy saving millions and have extra draft picks.  Just like they love KG, Paul and Terry but don't mind trading them to save money and gather draft picks.

I understand it's not your money.  The Celtics are not your team.  Doc Rivers is not your coach.  Paul and KG are not your players.  Is there a point to be made?  Because the fact that it is not your money is utterly irrelevant, self-evident and not the least bit interesting.

Mommy loved the Fleetwood Mac albums a lot and cooked a mean spaghetti sauce that slowly simmered for hours till it tasted just right.

Brother?? Is that....you ???
If life has been well lets put our money in a pile and split it down the middle.....mother would have wanted it that way ;D

I'm honestly just happy to have lots of picks and watch the dust cloud from the detonations slowly drift away...with Doc ;)

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2013, 02:25:19 AM »

Offline steve

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
Here's what happened.

Doc: I'm not sure I'm down with a rebuild. 
Danny: Well, let me try to get something for you.
Doc: Ok.
Danny: Clippers trade seems good.  I can probably include KG as well.   
Doc: I'll do that!
Danny:  Clippers are playing hardball, it's not gonna happen. 
Doc:  [dang] it!  Ok, I guess I'll coach the C's next year because Lord knows I'm not giving up 20 mil. 
Danny: Ok sounds good....wait...the clips agree on the deal! 
Doc: Great!  But hold on while I act like I didn't initiate this trade in order to safe face with the public.  Danny, people think you're a snake already do you mind if I insinuate that you blindsided me?

« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2013, 02:28:52 AM »

Offline timobusa

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 284
  • Bleed Green, Die Green
Here's what happened.

Doc: I'm not sure I'm down with a rebuild. 
Danny: Well, let me try to get something for you.
Doc: Ok.
Danny: Clippers trade seems good.  I can probably include KG as well.   
Doc: I'll do that!
Danny:  Clippers are playing hardball, it's not gonna happen. 
Doc:  [dang] it!  Ok, I guess I'll coach the C's next year because Lord knows I'm not giving up 20 mil. 
Danny: Ok sounds good....wait...the clips agree on the deal! 
Doc: Great!  But hold on while I act like I didn't initiate this trade in order to safe face with the public.  Danny, people think you're a snake already do you mind if I insinuate that you blindsided me?

I bet you this is not far from the truth.

TP

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2013, 04:18:06 AM »

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER
I haven't read Bill Simmons book.  From everything I've heard from him and watched on TV, he knows very little about anything.  He is like a less intelligent Mike Felger or a more charismatic Skip Bayless.

Simmons is extremely intelligent when it comes to basketball. Let's not disqualify him because he didn't play professional basketball. Fuel gar and intelligence is an oxymoron.  Completely incongruous.
I do think his earlier articles on Doc were over the top-though they did express the mob mentality of the fans at the time. I think Simmons is right on this one. 
Doc should accept responsibility.  He quit on the Celtics. He felt it was time to move on.
Boston fans should be more sympathetic.  Why can't a coach have mixed feelings?
By all accounts-Doc is a good guy.

Shake Hands.

"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2013, 07:28:36 AM »

Offline Lebowski

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
This has just become a public spat to prove that the other guy is the more disingenuous. They should both just step away from it. It serves no real purpose and neither of them comes across well in all this.

I'm getting fed up with all this public airing of the Cs dirty laundry. Just let us focus on the rebuild!

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2013, 07:54:52 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
What it comes down to is that you can trust Simmons to call it like he sees it, ask inconvenient questions, and give his honest opinion. When it comes to doc and to a certain extent DA and the Celtics front office and all the "sources" in the papers you don't know what to trust. So to me I see a guy who was under contract, who publicly started questioning his role and future here and was suddenly not here. I call that quitting. Maybe even mutual quitting, but still quitting, no matter how much his son Jeremiah cries a Rivers. That's not my problem or Bill Simmons problem. It's doc's. Because he is a quitter. Now I have to wonder if the reason he didn't beat up rondo is because he quit mid fight.

« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2013, 08:02:00 AM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
I like Bill Simmons.  Brings topics ex-players won't talk about.  And does it with humor.  Way better panel than TNTs.