Author Topic: Rivers sells out Wyc or another C's owner  (Read 4002 times)

Rivers sells out Wyc or another C's owner
« on: June 28, 2013, 08:47:48 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
It’s not that hard of a story. They wanted to unload contracts for draft picks. I happened to be one of those contracts. This is a direct quote from an owner: Listen, this is a win-win for us. If we can get get a pick for you and you have a chance to go to a team like the Clippers and continue to coach and continue to pursue winning and we can get to rebuilding.’

That’s exactly what happened last night. Clearly, I had a selfish motive. I had a chance to not rebuild and go to a team that is in a different phase of their franchise. So everyone benefited from it. Clearly I — at least, I hope I benefitted from it, but this was done together. This was not me walking into the Celtics and saying ‘I quit’ or anything like that.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/06/doc-rivers-bill-simmons-espn-nba-draft-real-story/
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: Rivers sells out Wyc or another C's owner
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 08:49:36 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Meh. It's not like he's lying. He acknowledges his own motives, but he acknowledges theirs.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 08:51:31 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
It’s not that hard of a story. They wanted to unload contracts for draft picks. I happened to be one of those contracts. This is a direct quote from an owner: Listen, this is a win-win for us. If we can get get a pick for you and you have a chance to go to a team like the Clippers and continue to coach and continue to pursue winning and we can get to rebuilding.’

That’s exactly what happened last night. Clearly, I had a selfish motive. I had a chance to not rebuild and go to a team that is in a different phase of their franchise. So everyone benefited from it. Clearly I — at least, I hope I benefitted from it, but this was done together. This was not me walking into the Celtics and saying ‘I quit’ or anything like that.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/06/doc-rivers-bill-simmons-espn-nba-draft-real-story/

Exactly.  This is why Simmons is an idiot.  Save the quitter label for the true quitters of the world.  Not those who make a decision to leave that benefits everyone...

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 08:53:56 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
The link is rather interesting.  Some more stuff there.

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 08:54:47 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

Exactly.  This is why Simmons is an idiot.  Save the quitter label for the true quitters of the world.  Not those who make a decision to leave that benefits everyone...

Yup, I hate Bill Simmons. And regardless, I think it's now time to put the Doc story to bed and kiss it goodnight.

The Celts were going in a new direction with or without Doc, so it's really irrelevant at the end of the day.

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 08:59:57 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
Mutual decision is mutual.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 09:05:05 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
This may go back a lot farther than this year for both of them. Read these articles from 2006 and 2007, in which Simmons goes after Doc pretty hard.

(I'll give the first line of the first article away):

Doc Rivers stinks as an NBA coach.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/060112

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/061115

I wonder whether (a) Doc remembers any of this stuff and still feels a little chippy with Simmons, and (b) whether Simmons has a chip on his shoulder because a year after Simmons wrote all of those articles saying Doc was terrible, Doc coached his team to the championship, by many accounts out-coaching Phil Jackson.

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 09:05:50 PM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
Uh no, it was not mutual - Doc wanted out and the C's accommodated him.  Yes Doc QUIT on the team and us fans.  So be it.  Facts are facts.

Why try to dress it up?  He quit on the C's.  Period.  End of story.  I'm 100% right and you are wrong.

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2013, 09:11:28 PM »

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER
Meh. It's not like he's lying. He acknowledges his own motives, but he acknowledges theirs.

I don 't think this is news to anyone.
And I don't doubt it happened.
However, it likely occurred after the month long silence.  What we refer to as the Annual Doc Saga.
Bill Simmons was right. Doc quit on the Celtics. He had a contract. He walked.
Boston got what they could.
But lets not claim it was mutual.
When one party divorces another party, just because its not public ally contested, doesn't make it mutual.  There comes a point when. You accept it, then try to preserve a few assets.

I like Doc. It's about time he owned it.

Wonder what Red would say.
"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2013, 09:24:59 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
Being a mutual decision that benefits all parties doesn't preclude it from being "quitting." He quit on the Celtics, no other way around that.  Celtics made the best of it and both sides say the Celtics would have taken him back.  I'm not sure I see how anyone could say that wasn't quitting on the Celtics.

It was obviously a good move professionally, at least if this trade was going through either way, but Doc said he was on board for a rebuild but when it came down to it, he wasn't.

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2013, 09:31:09 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

are you serious? Doc instigated the leave first

Doc has a contract to fulfill, and if he gave the celtics a vote of confidence that for sure he is coming back regardless of the shape of the team, the owners and danny wouldn't object one sec.

Remember when Denver earlier inquired about Doc, Danny flat out said no. This means the celts want to keep Rivers.  But when you went to ask rivers as the draft nears if he is coming back, he said something along the lines as to i can't comment right now.  Also rumors about him brokering a trade between the two teams was greedy and selfish.

Whatever evidence or excuse doc gives, bottom line is, he had a contract to fulfill and he didn't want to with a rebuilding team.

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2013, 09:31:15 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

You're knocking 'em down, today, Casperian.

Yeah, I kept reading that quote waiting for the nasty part... It sounds like both parties were outstandingly direct about their wishes and arrived at an ideal solution. Why the dramatic headline?

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2013, 09:34:26 PM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
I posted about Bill in a separate thread and I just wanted to throw in that I liked what he said. I thought he just called it like he saw it from a fan's perspective, he just did it on TV. Check the link:

http://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/2013/06/26/fact-or-fiction-doc-rivers-odd-call-to-boston-media/

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2013, 09:34:58 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
What's the problem everyone has with the word "quit?"

It's not like he dropped the clipboard in the middle of the third quarter. People quit their jobs in an amicable way all the time. We have drama I guess over people taking umbrage with the word "quit" or using it to imply that he at some point did a bad job because he lost interest.

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2013, 09:35:29 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
I just can't believe Bill Simmons actually baited Doc into this.  Totally telling of Doc if you ask me.