Author Topic: Wake up call: We aren't getting Wiggins or Parker  (Read 6681 times)

Re: Wake up call: We aren't getting Wiggins or Parker
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2013, 08:52:06 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
There's literally a better chance of us making the playoffs next year than winning the Wiggens lottery. Add Parker, if you'd like. For these other 5 all-stars - I've never heard of one, and no one has discussed them here yet. No reason to be excited - we're likely screwed.

Given the odds couldn't be much worse, what's plan B?

...define literally. Because I'm pretty sure that if we tank, we aren't making the playoffs no matter what.

Julius Randle, Marcus Smart, Andrew Harrison, Aaron Harrison, and Aaron Gordon. You haven't heard of a single one of these players?

Randle, Gordon, and Smart are all higher than Parker in the Draft Express 2014 mock draft.

Marcus Smart was #2 overall in most NBA mock drafts before going back to school.

The Harrison twins are 6'5 and one plays PG.

Draft Express analysis for Andrew Harrison:
Arguably the most talented guard in all of high school basketball. Top-shelf NBA prospect. Will be a game-changer from day one in college.

I'm fine with any of these other players too.

Wow!

A 6'5" PG.  He might be the next Michael Carter-Williams.

Just like how Anthony Bennett is the next Lebron because he is around the same height, weight, and plays the same position as him, right?!?!?!

If he were in the 2014 draft, people might be saying he is.  I'm not saying it's not a good draft, but the hype on it has gotten to the stage of loopiness. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2013, 08:57:36 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
The 14 draft is loaded, and it's not just about the Wiggins and Parker. I would say that Wiggins, Parker, Randle, Smart, Gordon, and Harrison would've all been #1 overall picks this year if eligible.

OP, here's the link to DX.

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2014/

Read the scouting reports, watch the videos, and you'll see why so many teams are enamored with that draft.

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2013, 09:06:35 PM »

Offline syfy9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • We may as well put Tyrion in at center.
There's literally a better chance of us making the playoffs next year than winning the Wiggens lottery. Add Parker, if you'd like. For these other 5 all-stars - I've never heard of one, and no one has discussed them here yet. No reason to be excited - we're likely screwed.

Given the odds couldn't be much worse, what's plan B?

...define literally. Because I'm pretty sure that if we tank, we aren't making the playoffs no matter what.

Julius Randle, Marcus Smart, Andrew Harrison, Aaron Harrison, and Aaron Gordon. You haven't heard of a single one of these players?

Randle, Gordon, and Smart are all higher than Parker in the Draft Express 2014 mock draft.

Marcus Smart was #2 overall in most NBA mock drafts before going back to school.

The Harrison twins are 6'5 and one plays PG.

Draft Express analysis for Andrew Harrison:
Arguably the most talented guard in all of high school basketball. Top-shelf NBA prospect. Will be a game-changer from day one in college.

I'm fine with any of these other players too.

Wow!

A 6'5" PG.  He might be the next Michael Carter-Williams.

Just like how Anthony Bennett is the next Lebron because he is around the same height, weight, and plays the same position as him, right?!?!?!

If he were in the 2014 draft, people might be saying he is.  I'm not saying it's not a good draft, but the hype on it has gotten to the stage of loopiness.

Andrew Harrison is nothing like MCW. He's much bigger, stronger (have you seen MCW's frame?), and more physical.

I haven't seen them play, but I've watched a bunch of film on Harrison. He plays like Lebron James, driving to the basket. Great dribbler and passer and defender too. Here are the draft profiles for him and MCW:
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Andrew-Harrison-6456/
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Michael-Carter-Williams-6262/

Buy into the hype dude! There' a lot to go around! Everyone's been deprived of it for the past several years.
I like Marcus Smart

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2013, 09:07:24 PM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
Huh?  What's the point of this thread?  Are you saying the lottery is a crap shoot?  Wow there's news here.

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2013, 09:08:16 PM »

Offline syfy9

• Don Chaney
The 14 draft is loaded, and it's not just about the Wiggins and Parker. I would say that Wiggins, Parker, Randle, Smart, Gordon, and Harrison would've all been #1 overall picks this year if eligible.

OP, here's the link to DX.

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2014/

Read the scouting reports, watch the videos, and you'll see why so many teams are enamored with that draft.

Yup, I recommend doing this as well. It's really deep lottery wise.
I like Marcus Smart

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2013, 09:09:02 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
(1) under the cba, as revised, rookie contracts are hugely valuable - both in terms of cap space, and in terms of being able to offer the mega-max (5 year $100m) to only got own player. A kid off a rookie deal LIKELY takes the big money on his first contract. That means a rookie phenom could be yours for 8 years - under the new cba.

(2) it is not about Wiggins, but about assets. Two rookie players can be flipped into one all star. Think of what KG cost us: Gomes (not in the league) Telfair (in the league?) Ratliff, Green, and Jefferson - the only guy still starting in the NBA. Who knows? Maybe in 2015, a pupu platter nets is Durant. Playing time makes guys into assets.

(3) the alternative (boring mediocrity) was worse than the year down. The C's were borderline unwatchable at times, last year. Plodding half court jogging. I don't blame them - but I'd rather watch a team miss the playoffs but capture my interest - than watch two or three veterans I love get crushed by a team (like NYK) that I hate.

(4) opportunities arise all the time. How did trading pick five and D. West go for us? Amazingly well - right?

(5) tanking creates assets, as non-entities step up to score on bad teams. Tyreke Evans is a big star - and a huge asset. But would he have been such a star playing behind Kobe on the Lakers? The sky won't just be dark. A star will emerge from a crowd of young players to light up the box score. (I don't usually ask for a TP but - amazing turn of phrase - agreed?).

Danny is doing the right thing.

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2013, 09:44:36 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
I find it hard to believe that some posters on here think we're done making moves over the next 3 years, like if we don't land wiggins next year then were doomed to keep resigning Kris Humphries and Gerald Wallace to max contracts until they retire. Sigh.

Winning the lottery would be terrific indeed but make no mistake, we aren't tank or bust.
- LilRip

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2013, 09:56:21 PM »

Offline celticmania

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
Julius Randle is going to be a BEAST ! Incredible combination of finesse and toughness. He can dribble, shoot, Finish, and is Strong and quick.He is a future superstar. Next Chris Webber

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2013, 10:04:10 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
im still unsure of if we're "tanking"
we have no clue who DA has been interested in who will be available july 1
and guess what guys? there are clubs out there that are IN rebuild mode and HAVE been who would love some of these younger assets we have...oh and the picks
i feel like we can get a lot of sign and trades going.

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2013, 10:24:04 PM »

Offline badshar

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 72
TP for this thread.

Its so annoying how so many people think that its better for us to tank than to try to trade and rebuild within a year. Seriously, have you guys already forgotten the 2007 Draft?

If D12 leaves, Lakers will be awful and if Lakers and Celtics are competing for the number 1 pick in the draft, then Los Angeles will win it. NBA will benefit more by sending Wiggins and/or Parker to LA's big market than they will if he comes to Boston.

That deals with Draft Lottery fixing and disregards our luck, another huge factor.

1997 - We lose out on Duncan.
2007 - We lose out on Oden/Durant.

What do you guys want? That our list extends to "2014 - We lose out on Wiggins/Parker?"

You would rather take a huge risk on trying out the Celtics luck in the lottery, which hasn't worked in the past, than try something which has much better success rate?

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2013, 10:39:49 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
TP for this thread.

Its so annoying how so many people think that its better for us to tank than to try to trade and rebuild within a year. Seriously, have you guys already forgotten the 2007 Draft?

If D12 leaves, Lakers will be awful and if Lakers and Celtics are competing for the number 1 pick in the draft, then Los Angeles will win it. NBA will benefit more by sending Wiggins and/or Parker to LA's big market than they will if he comes to Boston.

That deals with Draft Lottery fixing and disregards our luck, another huge factor.

What do you guys want? That our list extends to "2014 - We lose out on Wiggins/Parker?"

You would rather take a huge risk on trying out the Celtics luck in the lottery, which hasn't worked in the past, than try something which has much better success rate?

i find it weird when anti-rebuild people cite 2007, like we didn't cash in on the assets we had to get Ray Allen and Kevin Garnett, like we didn't win a championship the following year. That 06-07 team was trying to "tank" to get KD, but when the C's missed out, DA proved that he was definitely more than just a "i hope i win the lottery!"-type of GM.
- LilRip

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2013, 10:43:06 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
I think the chances of Rondo finishing this upcoming season as a Celtic are very rare now.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/5-on-5-130627-2/brooklyn-nets-boston-celtics-blockbuster

4. Should the Celtics trade Rajon Rondo in the next year?

Stein: Doesn't matter what you or I think. Ainge is going to do it whether or not we push for it. Word on the street is that Ainge is worried more about the 2014 lottery than the standings. If that's the case, everyone in Boston will be much happier if Rondo is dealt before they ask him to try to stomach the nightly grind of being the face of a team just starting to rebuild.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2013, 10:46:46 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
also btw, I kinda like Julius Randle better in my opinion

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2013, 10:49:04 PM »

Offline AusCeltic

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 2
Randle, Harrisons, Gordon all have the ability to be Superstars.Not to mention players like Hezonja, Young,Exum and Embiid if they reach their ceiling will be stars as well. Also these high "potential" players command a lot on the trade table. Stockpile assets is plan 1 not tank, if the lotto balls fall our way and we get Parker, Wiggins or Randle great rejoice but if not we are still getting good assets for the future.

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2013, 11:34:41 PM »

Offline syfy9

• Don Chaney
TP for this thread.

Reading the counter-arguments in this thread could really give you more perspective...

This isn't a one man draft. This draft is projected to have numerous all-stars, 2003 caliber.

If we tank in 2003, and lose out on Lebron, is it all over?

Not if we draft Wade, Melo, Bosh, etc. 
I like Marcus Smart