Author Topic: The near future of the Eastern Conference in relation to our own and Nets picks  (Read 1263 times)

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I can't believe I'm saying this but for next year I think we need to do whatever we can to get a top 10 pick and not make the playoffs.   So I started looking at what the rest of the Eastern Conference has done recently and what our chances are look like of making the playoffs or not making the playoffs.  Of course it's very early in the summer, and many things can happen such as trading Rondo or getting his buddy here in a S&T.

I have 5 locks to make the playoffs in Miami, Brooklyn, Chicago, Indiana, and New York.  Atlanta if they keep their core together will probably be there, but it seems to be a big question mark now with Smith a FA.  Milwaukee made the playoffs this past year, however they are dealing with free agents Reddick, and Ellis themselves, so their team could be a little different.   

From there I see a few teams possibly leapfrogging us, and challenging for a playoff spot.   Washington started playing well towards the end of last season with John Wall on a tear.   They are starting to build a core that could be playoff worthy.  If Varejeo, and Irving can stay healthy for next season I can see them as well challenging for a playoff spot.  I could also see Detroit making a leap as well as they are developing a really nice front court.  In Orlando I loved their draft pick, and are starting to assemble a more balanced roster.   I'm not sure sure if they will be good enough to fight for a playoff spot. 

With Rondo I think we are somewhere in the group above.  Without him I think we'll be fighting for the worst record in the conference with Charlotte, Philly, and Toronto.   Either way I'm not crazy about our chances of making the playoffs which is good or bad depending on what you want. 

Fast forward to 2 or 3 years from now.  Much can happen in that time frame, but one thing I do know is the Nets will have holes on their roster again with PP and KG gone, an aging Joe Johnson, and Williams on the wrong side of 30.   I see Chicago & Indiana keeping a stable core, and remaining playoff worthy.  Miami who knows if Lebron will stay or go, how Wade will age.   NY seems like a fragile team to me.  Chandler will be getting up in age, and relying on JR Smith as your 2nd scorer seems iffy for long term success.  They had about 5 PFs last year near retirement, and they really don't have any long term depth there for bigs (not counting on Stoudamire ever being the same).  With what happens in Atlanta and Milwaukee this offseason could drastically affect how good they are a few years from now.   I could see many other teams Detroit, Washington, Orlando, Cleveland and potentially us moving up to playoff contention consistently, and leap frogging the Nets.   Of course if Charlotte, Philly, or Toronto get real lucky with the draft next year that could propel them to playoff contention as well.   

So long story short IMO it's looking like we are heading the lottery for at least next year, and the Nets possibly a year or 2 after that.   

What do you guys think when looking at other teams in our conference?

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 350
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
Right now, the only thing that matters to us is how bad teams will get next year, and how bad the Nets will get through 2018.

Let's start with 2014. We can't simply focus on the East because the lottery encompasses the whole league. With their draft night trade, Philly is in absolute tank mode before the season begins. I don't even think they're winning 20 games next year. Thanks to the greatness of MJ and his draft picks, Charlotte looks poised to be awful once again. Those are the two teams who I think Boston simply cannot out-suck. Even if we sit out Rondo the whole year or trade him, it's not a surefire way to get worse than them. Orlando's starting to get its core together, but they're all still very young and not a playoff threat. As it stands, right now we're in the ranks of Milwaukee, Toronto, Detroit, and Cleveland. In the West, Phoenix looks real ugly right now, and Sacramento is likely headed to the dumpsters for another year, but all the other teams are in position to improve from last year. With Rondo, we're probably no worse than the 7th worst team in the NBA. Without Rondo, we can crack top 5.

As for Brooklyn, Pierce is up in one year, KG in two, and JJ in three. For as long as DWill is around (at least 4 more years), Brooklyn will reload and stay competitive. I'm not ruling it out, but I'm not optimistic that our way future firsts from Brooklyn will become lottery picks.

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Right now, the only thing that matters to us is how bad teams will get next year, and how bad the Nets will get through 2018.

Let's start with 2014. We can't simply focus on the East because the lottery encompasses the whole league. With their draft night trade, Philly is in absolute tank mode before the season begins. I don't even think they're winning 20 games next year. Thanks to the greatness of MJ and his draft picks, Charlotte looks poised to be awful once again. Those are the two teams who I think Boston simply cannot out-suck. Even if we sit out Rondo the whole year or trade him, it's not a surefire way to get worse than them. Orlando's starting to get its core together, but they're all still very young and not a playoff threat. As it stands, right now we're in the ranks of Milwaukee, Toronto, Detroit, and Cleveland. In the West, Phoenix looks real ugly right now, and Sacramento is likely headed to the dumpsters for another year, but all the other teams are in position to improve from last year. With Rondo, we're probably no worse than the 7th worst team in the NBA. Without Rondo, we can crack top 5.

As for Brooklyn, Pierce is up in one year, KG in two, and JJ in three. For as long as DWill is around (at least 4 more years), Brooklyn will reload and stay competitive. I'm not ruling it out, but I'm not optimistic that our way future firsts from Brooklyn will become lottery picks.

I've been hearing people say the Nets will reload, but with what assets?   They won't be able to trade any first round picks to get a star player, and a star playing signing with another team in free agency is rare.   They will have not 1, not 2, but 3 starting positions to refill within 3 years.   Williams 3 years from now most likely won't be the same caliber player.  I just don't think it will be all that simple and easy for them. 

I was just looking at the Eastern conference for the simple reason if you don't make the playoffs you fall into the lottery, but if you make the playoffs you don't. 

I agree with Philly and Charlotte.  It would be very hard to actually be worse than them next year. 

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393

I've been hearing people say the Nets will reload, but with what assets?   They won't be able to trade any first round picks to get a star player, and a star playing signing with another team in free agency is rare.   They will have not 1, not 2, but 3 starting positions to refill within 3 years.   Williams 3 years from now most likely won't be the same caliber player.  I just don't think it will be all that simple and easy for them. 

I was just looking at the Eastern conference for the simple reason if you don't make the playoffs you fall into the lottery, but if you make the playoffs you don't. 

I agree with Philly and Charlotte.  It would be very hard to actually be worse than them next year.

For the Nets reloading, it is because so far their owner has shown to be willing to spend a ton of money for a team that is not really a contender (see last year). This means for example, he could take on a terrible contract for a player that has some talent, but isn't worth the money he is being paid. An example would be taking on an overpaid but productive Igoudala  for an expiring joe Johnson in two years. The assets they have is their money. They can do creative things once garnett or pierce is off the books. Not having the first round picks does reduce this some, but money does trump all.

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 350
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
The Nets don't need assets. They need their owner to simply open up his checkbook for whatever free agent is available.

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

The Nets will trade their veterans as expiring contracts and rebuild that way.  They will also likely move Deron Williams near the end of his contract and he should still have pretty solid value.  The Nets should be able to reload and rebuild on the fly if they have the right management structure.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip