Author Topic: Keith Bogans?  (Read 4752 times)

Keith Bogans?
« on: June 28, 2013, 07:32:47 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
Can someone elaborate to my why Bogans, who's a free agent (correct?) has to be included in this deal?  It's my understanding this trade can't be consummated until July 10th at the earliest, the lone snag now being Bogans.

What if he doesn't agree to sign a contract with Boston, wouldn't that essentially kill the current incarnation of the trade? Does Brooklyn not have another contract to include as filler?

Re: Keith Bogans?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 07:42:58 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Can someone elaborate to my why Bogans, who's a free agent (correct?) has to be included in this deal?  It's my understanding this trade can't be consummated until July 10th at the earliest, the lone snag now being Bogans.

What if he doesn't agree to sign a contract with Boston, wouldn't that essentially kill the current incarnation of the trade? Does Brooklyn not have another contract to include as filler?

Yeah, I don't know why Bogans HAS to be included. Any number of filler contracts could be used to take his place.

But, for some reason, when the rumors were initially reported, there was something about the deal needing to take place after June 30. Something to do with Pierce's contract, which is less in 2014 than it was this past season. It might be that the Nets are giving back the bare minimum in salary to make the trade work based on those 2014 numbers for Pierce.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 07:45:23 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Word aapp!
Oh, right. I remember Pierce's 2014 salary needing to be included now. I had forgotten.

I also thought sign and traded players couldn't be packaged, though? Or did that recently change with the new CBA? Or am I crazy thinking that was ever the case.

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 07:49:25 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Oh, right. I remember Pierce's 2014 salary needing to be included now. I had forgotten.

I also thought sign and traded players couldn't be packaged, though? Or did that recently change with the new CBA? Or am I crazy thinking that was ever the case.

New CBA prohibits teams above the apron from receiving players in sign and trades, I believe. Teams can continue to sign and trade away their own free agents though, regardless of their tax-payer status.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q89
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 09:08:47 PM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
uh did you ever think for a moment that every player in the deal is just salary fodder?  You don't think we actually WANT any of those players do you?

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 09:23:28 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Word aapp!
uh did you ever think for a moment that every player in the deal is just salary fodder?  You don't think we actually WANT any of those players do you?

Uh. No. I asked why it had to be Bogans specifically, because he's currently a free agent.

Don't be condescending.

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 09:25:25 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

The more I think about it, I'm actually getting excited about some of the things Crash might be able to bring to this young group. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 09:30:08 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
Maybe Danny has other moves lined up but can't do them until July 11th.  For that reason I'll hold back any more criticism of the deal.

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2013, 09:35:36 PM »

Offline Yogi

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 255
Pure salary filler.  Bogans will get multiple years, but they could be team options.  Maybe a contender with an exception would be willing to send out an asset for his help later in the year. 
CelticsBlog DKC Pelicans
J. Lin/I. Canaan/N. Wolters
E. Gordon/A. Shved
N. Batum/A. Roberson
A. Davis/K. Olynyk/M. Scott
D. Cousins/A. Baynes/V. Faverani
Rights: A. Abrines, R. Neto, L. Jean-Charles  Coach: M. Williams

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2013, 03:59:11 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I'm assuming they need salary filler.

The Nets have three free agents.  Andray Blatche, who wants to be a Net and is willing to play for the minimum (because he was amnestied, any salary he gets will just offset what he is getting from his Washington contract, so he wants to make the Wizards pay for it, out of spite).  Jerry Stackhouse, who is expected to retire.  And Keith Bogans. 

I haven't done the math but it could be that Bogans is needed to allow the Nets to keep Reggie Evans.  Bogans can be paid more than Toko Shengelia or Tyshawn Taylor.

The CBA requires that Bogans be signed to a three-year deal, but only the first year has to be justified.  I expect he will get a non-Bird rights raise over the minimum salary and the Celtics will be expected to waive him if they don't use his salary in a trade.

"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2013, 05:51:35 AM »

Offline Yogi

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 255
Nets couldn't simply sign and trade anyone for such a large contract (around 5M to match salaries.)  They have early Bird rights for Bogans which allows them to do that.  Bogans just happens to be the lucky guy that fits the bill. 
CelticsBlog DKC Pelicans
J. Lin/I. Canaan/N. Wolters
E. Gordon/A. Shved
N. Batum/A. Roberson
A. Davis/K. Olynyk/M. Scott
D. Cousins/A. Baynes/V. Faverani
Rights: A. Abrines, R. Neto, L. Jean-Charles  Coach: M. Williams

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2013, 06:22:26 AM »

Offline goCeltics

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 68
yeah the c's will be sign and trading for bogans, his salary will be guaranteed at least 4.4 mill with team option years in year 2 and 3, we need to do this because of the trade rules, we won't be able to trade him till december

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2013, 06:46:00 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Does anyone know how soon we can trade any of the players we receive in this deal?  Do we have to wait until December 15th similar to free agents we would sign? 

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2013, 07:05:25 AM »

Offline Tnerb02

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 18
We have to wait until December 15th to trade Bogans. Everyone else can be traded right away but they can not be added with any other players for two months.

Edit: It may actually be January 15th since he is a sign and trade early bird free agent who is getting a 20% or higher raise.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 07:15:49 AM by Tnerb02 »

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2013, 07:09:58 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
We have to wait until December 15th to trade Bogans. Everyone else can be traded right away but they can not be added with any other players for two months.

Thanks. TP