Author Topic: RUMOR: Crazy rumor that Rondo contacted Smith and Howard to join him in Beantown  (Read 21818 times)

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
It's not possible under the salary cap, unless Smith and D12 are going to take about $3 million per season each.

haha! This.

People often overlook the most important thing, cap space.

However, If Smith and Howard each want to take $3mill, maybe we got something here  ;)

Or people should realize that cap space is not the sole way to acquire free-agents...

I realize this but you've had way too many of those Budweiser's if you believe there is even an ounce of truth to this.

I don't care about the rumor, I care that the option to make it happen exists and I believe we have the means to do it too.

This morning in another thread I was speculating over the possibility of getting Howard, so I don't need some random internet rumor to fuel trade possibilities or scenarios of the options that Ainge has before him to try and make happen.

So, what sign-and-trades are we pulling off with LA and Atlanta that would be more palatable to those franchises than letting Smith and Howard walk, or working out sign-and-trades with other franchises?

It's just not viable. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER
It's not possible under the salary cap, unless Smith and D12 are going to take about $3 million per season each.

Ah but there are ways to shred salary and skin a cat and kill two birds with one stone.
S & T away!!
"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
If one plays the hypothetical that Howard and Smith want to come to Boston, then:

1. The Lakers dilemma... 72-79 million already on salaries. They don't have the means to acquire people because they don't have any assets to make worthwhile trades. They have a depleted team with lots of free-agents.

Why would they say no to a package that includes some young promising assets, some draft picks, and players who can actually contribute this and maybe a couple of more years before Kobe retires? When the alternative is to let go Howard for nothing.

2. The Hawks dilemma... a ton of cap space, but you barely have any players signed this coming season, so that cap space is quite deceiving. Further more, this year there aren't any worthwhile free-agents to acquire to use that cap space on. The only ones are Smith (who you have no interest in returning), Howard (who has now shown he wants to go to Boston and maybe has no interest in going to Atlanta), Al Jefferson, among a few others. Not a real deep free-agency class to spend money on, and since you have barely any player signed, no real attraction.

Why would you say no to say getting Humphries (an expiring contract, who has no effect on your future cap space) and some picks for Smith. Further more, you can move Humpries in a subsequent trade, probably at the trade deadline and maybe acquire something of value for him, maybe a pick, or just let him expire, doesn't matter much.

You can do all this, and still have room to spare to go after a max contract type of player if there's still available, or go after a few lower salary types.

So, why would you say no?

-----------------------------

That's the way I'm seeing it from their perspective, and I'm having a hard time finding a way to say no to these sorts of packages when there aren't that many alternatives to get value for them... the free-agent players have most of the leverage.

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
Shouldn't the thread title be "IDEA:....." because this really is not a rumor with anything of concrete evidence, just a bunch of guys on Facebook hoping things go down?

I suggest changing the R in "RUMOR" to an H

Offline DoverCeltic

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 1
I am sorry but if this happens I will probably keel over from a heart attack. No way does this get done in any manner. Besides, we lose our bench then. We need a bench. ESPECIALLY if Dwight has back issues again.

I think the next pope would be jewish before this ever happened.  ::)

Nice dreams, but it will stay a dream

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
I am sorry but if this happens I will probably keel over from a heart attack. No way does this get done in any manner. Besides, we lose our bench then. We need a bench. ESPECIALLY if Dwight has back issues again.

I think the next pope would be jewish before this ever happened.  ::)

Nice dreams, but it will stay a dream

The cool thing about this is that you don't have to deplete your bench in any fashion to put a good attractive package for them... mainly because we have a lot of redundancy in our roster and many players with a some weight on their salaries.

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
This is nonsense.  This is not how you properly tank.  Andrew Wiggins is rolling over in his grave.

So you're telling us you'd rather take a chance on landing Wiggins, which is extremely unlikely, over having Howard and Smith to pair with Rondo?

To answer your question on why I don't trust your judgement (from another thread), I submit this as exhibit "A".

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
This is nonsense.  This is not how you properly tank.  Andrew Wiggins is rolling over in his grave.

So you're telling us you'd rather take a chance on landing Wiggins, which is extremely unlikely, over having Howard and Smith to pair with Rondo?

To answer your question on why I don't trust your judgement (from another thread), I submit this as exhibit "A".

Wiggins on a rookie contract > Howard and Smith

also, us getting Wiggins is probably more likely at this point too with the new CBA

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 350
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies

While I agree that LarBrd33's judgment is usually far from sensible, I have to agree with him here. Howard does not have a winning instinct. He's a drama queen who wants everything given to him. Just like Melo, Dwight is a star, but not a star who will win a ring as long as he's the centerpiece. As for Smith, the guy has extremely low basketball IQ, is horribly inefficient, and is demanding a contract far too absurd for his contributions. Rondo, Smith, and Howard is not a winning core.

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568

haha! This.

However, If Smith and Howard each want to take $3mill, maybe we got something here  ;)

Or people should realize that cap space is not the sole way to acquire free-agents...

I realize this but you've had way too many of those Budweiser's if you believe there is even an ounce of truth to this.

I don't care about the rumor, I care that the option to make it happen exists and I believe we have the means to do it too.

This morning in another thread I was speculating over the possibility of getting Howard, so I don't need some random internet rumor to fuel trade possibilities or scenarios of the options that Ainge has before him to try and make happen.

So, what sign-and-trades are we pulling off with LA and Atlanta that would be more palatable to those franchises than letting Smith and Howard walk, or working out sign-and-trades with other franchises?

It's just not viable.

Get out of here with that logic Roy!

Don't you know this is a CB trade discussion where everybody wants to give us stars for our mediocre role players!?

Pshh, and I thought you were actually a pretty cool guy.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

haha! This.

It's just not viable.

Get out of here with that logic Roy!

Don't you know this is a CB trade discussion where everybody wants to give us stars for our mediocre role players!?

Pshh, and I thought you were actually a pretty cool guy.

It's not for role-players, it's for 1st round picks for players who are free-agents, with that alternative being that they end up getting no value for them.

They really have little leverage.

Or have you forgotten the package that Howard was actually traded for last season...

Offline badshar

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 72
A person from CLNS has apparently picked up on the rumor and tweeted it.

Interesting.

Kouza ‏@CLNSKyle
BREAKING: Rumors are swirling through Boston that Rajon Rondo has contacted Josh Smith and Dwight Howard about joining him on the Celtics.

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Yeah, I'm sorry, but going after unproven high school players, who you have very little chance of actually getting, in favor of a legit super-star and a borderline all-star is flat out nuts.

That's not how to win championships.

But it doesn't matter, we're not getting Dwight and Smith, while keeping Rondo.  Our other assets aren't good enough to net that kind of haul.

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
A person from CLNS has apparently picked up on the rumor and tweeted it.

Interesting.

Kouza ‏@CLNSKyle
BREAKING: Rumors are swirling through Boston that Rajon Rondo has contacted Josh Smith and Dwight Howard about joining him on the Celtics.

Would be amazing but too bad there's virtually no way for it to happen cap wise. I think someone said it before, we could easily pull off a s&t for Smith if we wanted. Dwight, not so much.

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Well I'll say this.

If Rondo was able to orchestrate Josh and Dwight coming here, I would turn into the biggest Rondo fan on the face of the earth ;D