Author Topic: Idea: Rondo to DAL package  (Read 3697 times)

Idea: Rondo to DAL package
« on: June 30, 2013, 12:58:31 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
I know that Rondo to DAL has been called "ridiculous" by sources but I still want to discuss it because it makes some sense for both teams.

DAL obviously is looking to entice DHoward and now that CP is most likely staying in LA, Rondo is the obvious next piece for DAL to look to acquire in an effort to assemble a Big 3 of their own. DIrk, DH, and Rondo is a nice core for DAL to build around.

BOS trading Rondo is certainly questionable depending on Danny's overall plan, but if he is looking to go after the top of this 2014 draft, then he really does need to move Rondo IMO. And he needs to move him for talent that won't create a similar problem (ie make us too good to bottom out for this draft class).

So, with that said, my idea is:

DAL gives:

Larkin
Ledo
Marion (expiring)
Future #1s

BOS gives:

Rondo

Larkin and Ledo are two nice prospects and Marion's contract will be off the books after this upcoming season. also adding to Danny's stockpile of first round picks.

DAL gets Rondo while not adding salary by unloading Marion. Thus, they still have room to sign Howard.

Re: Idea: Rondo to DAL package
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 01:15:25 PM »

Offline TheBigTicket23

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 59
  • Anything is possible!
Dallas has to take on Wallace his contract at least. This trade + Wallace would be decent. And then the future #1 pick has to be 2014 AND 2015.

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 01:35:55 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Those first round picks are unlikely to amount to much with Mark Cuban there in Dallas.

No enough value to part with Rondo.

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 01:38:09 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Unless we're unloading two bad contracts, getting Larkin and another decent prospect (e.g. Crowder), and getting a couple of unprotected future 1sts, a Rondo trade with Dallas makes no sense.

Even then, I'd be hesitant.  We really should get some young players with current value in return for Rondo, or at least a pick we can expect to be in the lottery.

Dallas probably won't take on any bad contracts in such a deal, though, so it's a non-starter.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 02:16:20 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
Unless we're unloading two bad contracts, getting Larkin and another decent prospect (e.g. Crowder), and getting a couple of unprotected future 1sts, a Rondo trade with Dallas makes no sense.

Even then, I'd be hesitant.  We really should get some young players with current value in return for Rondo, or at least a pick we can expect to be in the lottery.

Dallas probably won't take on any bad contracts in such a deal, though, so it's a non-starter.

Well the whole angle with DAL is them wanting to go after Howard, so they're not going to be taking on salary.

Moving Rondo is tricky because you don't want to take back someone who is already good because the idea is to tank for a top 5 pick (and hopefully #1 pick) but you also want to get back talent the may be good soon because you are trading an all star PG in his prime.

I actually think that both Larkin and Ledo will be starters, so I kinda like the deal. The only other player that I can think of at the moment to target is Trey Burke. What about Burke, Marvin Williams (expiring), picks for Rondo?

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 02:32:01 PM »

Offline sdceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 45
I think we could get better from Dallas.

Rondo
Lee
Wallace
Bradley

for

OJ Mayo (ST)
Marion
Larkin
Ledo
Carter
Future 1st's

This sets the team on full tank mode......pretty much guarantees us a bottom 5 record, and a top 5 pick in 2014. We can look to trade Marion/Carter/Humphires for more prospects, or simply let them expire and have HUGE cap room plus insane draft stock going in to the deepest draft of the decade.

This puts the ball entirely in Danny's court on draft night 2014, to get a crack at at least one future star, if not two. Or he can swing a trade with all the draft ammo to bring in a star FA to pair with a top 5 pick.

Dallas gets the 1st and arguably 3rd best players in the trade in Rondo/Bradley

They in turn give us Mayo (2nd best player), far more cap flexibility in Marion/Carter deals over Wallace/Lee, plus more prospects in Larkin/Ledo/1st rounders

Cuban doesn't even value his 1st rounders highly at all, it seems. They should still have enough $$$ to get Howard there and have their own big 3 of Rondo/Dirk/Howard

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2013, 02:33:51 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
I think we could get better from Dallas.

Rondo
Lee
Wallace
Bradley

for

OJ Mayo (ST)
Marion
Larkin
Ledo
Carter
Future 1st's

This sets the team on full tank mode......pretty much guarantees us a bottom 5 record, and a top 5 pick in 2014. We can look to trade Marion/Carter/Humphires for more prospects, or simply let them expire and have HUGE cap room plus insane draft stock going in to the deepest draft of the decade.

This puts the ball entirely in Danny's court on draft night 2014, to get a crack at at least one future star, if not two. Or he can swing a trade with all the draft ammo to bring in a star FA to pair with a top 5 pick.

Dallas gets the 1st and arguably 3rd best players in the trade in Rondo/Bradley

They in turn give us Mayo (2nd best player), far more cap flexibility in Marion/Carter deals over Wallace/Lee, plus more prospects in Larkin/Ledo/1st rounders

Cuban doesn't even value his 1st rounders highly at all, it seems. They should still have enough $$$ to get Howard there and have their own big 3 of Rondo/Dirk/Howard

If they can still get Howard, then I agree but that is the only way this makes sense.

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2013, 03:31:05 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Houston makes way more sense to trade with.

Lin, Robinson, Jones, White, Motiejunas

for

Rondo
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2013, 03:39:46 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

I actually think that both Larkin and Ledo will be starters, so I kinda like the deal. The only other player that I can think of at the moment to target is Trey Burke. What about Burke, Marvin Williams (expiring), picks for Rondo?

Burke, Williams, and an unprotected 2014 1st would be a very tempting haul for me.  Ideally I'd like to get Kanter or Favors in any trade with the Jazz, but that would get me interested for sure.

If we could throw in Bradley and get back Hayward, that would be even better.  I think Bradley is really dependent on a passer like Rondo to get his offense so his value would go down for us once Rondo gets traded, in my opinion.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2013, 03:44:05 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Dallas cannot trade any first rounders until 2020.  Unless Shane Larkin and a 2020 pick makes you want to give up Rondo, I don't see how they can be a viable trade partner.

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2013, 04:03:43 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I love these trades that make us worse....

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2013, 04:13:20 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
Houston makes way more sense to trade with.

Lin, Robinson, Jones, White, Motiejunas

for

Rondo

Yeah, I was thinking of Lin too. Not sure how I feel about him running a team. but whoever wants the best chance at landing DH should really try to make a deal with the Cs..

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2013, 04:16:47 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas

Burke, Williams, and an unprotected 2014 1st would be a very tempting haul for me.  Ideally I'd like to get Kanter or Favors in any trade with the Jazz, but that would get me interested for sure.

If we could throw in Bradley and get back Hayward, that would be even better.  I think Bradley is really dependent on a passer like Rondo to get his offense so his value would go down for us once Rondo gets traded, in my opinion.

It's so hard what Utah is thinking. If they want to win now, they should be very much interested in Rondo. If they want to continue rebuilding, they might want to stick with Burke and see what they can get in the 2014 draft.

This upcoming draft is really going to bring out the worst in teams as we all race for the bottom. I wouldn't be surprised to see a team like Utah, who could easily re-sign Milsap or Big Al, add a player like Rondo via trade, and make a serious run in the playoffs, decide to punt and see what they could land in this lottery. It's very tempting.