Author Topic: RUMOR: Crazy rumor that Rondo contacted Smith and Howard to join him in Beantown  (Read 21769 times)

Offline badshar

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 72
Its a pretty crazy rumor going around.

Please take this lightly, no need to bash me. I am not trying to put up any false hopes. I found this and thought it'd be fun to discuss it with other fans.

Your thoughts?

You can look at these tweets here:
https://twitter.com/search?q=Rondo%20Josh%20Smith%20Dwight%20Howard&src=typd

While I don't believe this, it'd be quite epic if it does happen.

Of course, no legit source has picked it up yet, so its likely false.

But discuss.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
It's not possible under the salary cap, unless Smith and D12 are going to take about $3 million per season each.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline cb8883

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 52
1) We have garbage weather
2) No real sources
3) Would rather tank and have Wiggins than Howard

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
Its a pretty crazy rumor going around.

Please take this lightly, no need to bash me. I am not trying to put up any false hopes. I found this and thought it'd be fun to discuss it with other fans.

Your thoughts?

You can look at these tweets here:
https://twitter.com/search?q=Rondo%20Josh%20Smith%20Dwight%20Howard&src=typd

While I don't believe this, it'd be quite epic if it does happen.

Of course, no legit source has picked it up yet, so its likely false.

But discuss.

I'll believe when I see it

I think we may have ran out of assets (players) to trade for both of them

I mean Rondo is not leaving if he is recruiting

that leaves everyone else + all the draft picks we just got from all those trade? But will the Lakers and ATL bite on those deals? Sure they are expiring contracts and A LOT of 1st round picks, but will it be enough?

Offline badshar

• Jaylen Brown
It's not possible under the salary cap, unless Smith and D12 are going to take about $3 million per season each.
I think the only way it would work would be to do it via sign-and-trade.

Again, as I said. I 99% doubt this is true, but I just posted it for discussion purposes and to put our minds away from the emotions that have carried over with KG and Pierce.

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 350
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
If Rondo hasn't reached out to them yet, he will. There's no way he's going to be happy spending the most productive years of his career on a god awful team.

Sadly for him, but fortunately for the team as a whole, it won't happen. I don't see how we have enough cash to get both Smith and Howard. Smith is overrated and Howard is a drama queen, so I'm not upset.

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
Thanks to the wonders of Twitter, we can all reach out to them to join us in Boston.

Offline bleedGREENdon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 29
if this rumor is true and anyone from this blog prefers to tank this year should be banned from celtic blog. Yes our free throw shooting will be terrible, but teams wont want to foul us because they being a 50% freethrow shooting team could possible still be more points than that team of Rondo Green Smith and Dwight would give up. DEFENSE.

IDK if ATL or Lakers would take gerald wallace contract though, i mean i believe dwight would pick to play with josh smith and rondo, more than just james harden in houston also more than dallas, much more of a winning chance, along with dwight would still be the face of our franchise. But before i hear us receiving Josh Smith, and dwight say himself hes interested in the celtics, idc about these rumors.

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

I don't see both joining, but I can easily envision a scenario in which Howard ends up in Boston and Smith to the Lakers and Atlanta getting some picks for their troubles. (Though I'm not sure if the CBA prevents the Lakers from getting a sign-and-trade player if they're above the tax line, so maybe Smith goes to Boston, Howard to Atlanta, and Lakers get some picks for their troubles, maybe players like Wallace and/or Kardashian and/or Bass to help Kobe in his final years).

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I could maybe see us having enough assets to acquire Smith.  Humphries and draft picks could be enticing to Atlanta.

What on earth would we offer LA though?  And besides, as much as LA would refuse to trade Howard to the Clips for Griffin, they are probably infinitely less likely to make a deal with Boston.

I just don't ever see a deal between these two franchises that involves a super-star, regardless of which direction to player is going.

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I could maybe see us having enough assets to acquire Smith.  Humphries and draft picks could be enticing to Atlanta.

What on earth would we offer LA though?  And besides, as much as LA would refuse to trade Howard to the Clips for Griffin, they are probably infinitely less likely to make a deal with Boston.

I just don't ever see a deal between these two franchises that involves a super-star, regardless of which direction to player is going.

You offer the Lakers a chance to get something instead of nothing, picks, Bass, Sully are all available to get it done, even Wallace... Kobe still wants to play for a championship, and I don't see the Lakers wasting his final productive years.

But Smith, Rondo, Howard free-throw would be... maddening, but you do it because the defense and rebounding will be spectacular as well as the transition game.

Offline badshar

• Jaylen Brown

Its a business. I know for fact Ainge wouldn't back out of dealing with L.A. just because of the on-court rivalry and Lakers would be extremely stupid if they refuse to make any deals with Boston because of rivalry. Luckily for us, the Lakers are one of the few good teams that have a good front office.

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
Not that Dwight would pass up Houston to come to Boston anyway, but why is everyone proposing S&T deals for the Lakers? LA already said they're not going to help facilitate a trade to help Dwight get out of town.

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
It could work w S&Ts
Celtics fan for life.

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
It could work w S&Ts

I thought S&T's were a way to give the player MORE money, not less?