Author Topic: Wish we beat Philly to the punch!  (Read 3696 times)

Re: Wish we beat Philly to the punch!
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2013, 07:09:31 PM »

Offline Dchuck

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 72
The more I think about it, the more I wish we would have done this deal.

Philly will have their PG and C of the future AND 2 lottery picks next year in a loaded draft.  My goodness!

Our version could've been Schroeder at PG and Noel at C with 2 lottery picks next year.

That is how you rebuild.....FAST!

And the more I think about it, I just have a gut feeling Rondo wont be a part of the process.  And if he isn't, we may look back and wish we did what Philly did.

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2013, 07:28:07 PM »

Offline DoverCeltic

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 1
Personally, I dont think Noel is worth the hype. I imagine him to be a lesser KG on the defensive side of the ball, and a less adept Tyson Chandler. I mean thats a great center if you have a supporting cast. But is it a franchise player? I dont think so

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2013, 09:39:48 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Personally, I dont think Noel is worth the hype. I imagine him to be a lesser KG on the defensive side of the ball, and a less adept Tyson Chandler. I mean thats a great center if you have a supporting cast. But is it a franchise player? I dont think so
who has said noel is a franchise player
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2013, 10:07:43 PM »

Offline Dchuck

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 72
who has said noel is a franchise player

With all of this nothing but wishful thinking, Wiggins would be the franchise player.  With the likelihood of 2 lottery picks in addition to other "assets", it is not unreasonable to think we could win or trade for the top pick.

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2013, 10:44:52 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Wow... when it was first reported it said Philly sent out Holiday and a 2014... but it was the other way around:

The New Orleans Pelicans traded center Nerlens Noel and a 2014 protected first-round pick to the Philadelphia 76ers for point guard Jrue Holiday, league sources told ESPN.com.

WOW... Seriously?  Wow.   I know Holiday has more trade value than Rondo, but that's insane... the best player in the draft + a 2014 for a 23 year old PG.  As Noel was slipping I was like, "Trade Rondo and the #16 for him!! trade Rondo and the #16 for him!!"... and yet Holiday fetches Noel AND a 2014 pick from the Pelicans?  Holy crap.  DEFINITELY trade rondo if he has anywhere NEAR the kind of trade value that Holiday has.

You should probably consider what your hoping we could trade Rondo *and a draft pick* for a prospect that couldn't even fetch a lesser point guard without a pick in a loaded draft thrown in says about your knowledge of trade values.

Yep, I don't trust this guys player evaluation, whatsoever.

Why?  Rondo doesn't have have as much trade value as a 23 year old allstar point guard WITHOUT a torn ACL.

I fail to see how I'm wrong.  Rondo has baggage, is 4 years older, is still recovering from a torn ACL, has major flaws in his offensive game and a frequently reported attitude problem. 

You fail to see how you're wrong because you seem to be unable to differentiate between a fact and an opinion that you hold that many people disagree with. Rondo's led his team on multiple deep playoff runs and is one of the better offensive players in the league. It's true that he as flaws in his game. The part you're missing is that he's terrifically talented in many other facets of his game and he's smart enough to maximize his talents and minimize the effect of his shortcomings.

If you watched the team in the playoffs last year and this year (with and without Rondo) you saw Rondo carry the team on offense in 2012 (scoring or assisting a higher percentage of his team's points than anyone in the league) and you saw the team stumble miserably without him (despite adding a good scorer and playing against a poor defensive team).

Plenty of people notice that Rondo has flaws in his game. Many of them can tell you in great detail how those flaws make it easier to defend a player and how it will have a negative effect on a team. Some people go so far as to think that their analysis actually overrides what happens on the court, as if their not understanding how Rondo can succeed in spite of his flaws means that he *isn't* succeeding, and our success on offense *must* be due to the other players. That's now how things work, just like telling people many times that the team would do fine in the playoffs without Rondo didn't make it happen.