Author Topic: Wish we beat Philly to the punch!  (Read 3697 times)

Wish we beat Philly to the punch!
« on: June 28, 2013, 04:56:12 PM »

Offline Dchuck

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 72
If you're gonna blow it up, we should've really BLOWN it up.  With the possibility of dealing with a mercurial Rondo, Danny should have been proactive and offered Rondo to the Pelicans for what Philly got.

I like Rondo, but lets face it, he is probably one unhappy dude right now.  I'm pretty sure he doesn't want to p--- away the prime of his career playing with a team that we'll more than likely have in the near future.  In hindsight, by trading Rondo, we get Noel, than you take Schroeder at 16 AND you get the Pelican's first rd pick next year. 

At this point you have a PG and C at a young age to grow together and then you fill out the rest of the roster with all of the draftpicks we've been stockpiling. 

The team would stink, but that increases our chances for Wiggins, especially with the additional Pelicans' pick.

That would've been nice!

Re: Wish we beat Philly to the punch!
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 05:08:43 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
Not at all unreasonable. Rondo for Nerlens Noel and a future Pelican 1st rounder? I mean, I hope we could do better, but that's not bad at all.

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 05:11:53 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
I was hoping that would happen.

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 05:12:19 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Not at all unreasonable. Rondo for Nerlens Noel and a future Pelican 1st rounder? I mean, I hope we could do better, but that's not bad at all.
no shot at doing better and probably don't even usurp Holiday

And this thread topic already exists.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 05:12:29 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
Could we trade Rondo to Orlando for Nicholson and an unprotected #1? Turkoglu have to be included?

They seemed to be interested in the Philly deal:

---------------------------------------------------

Josh Robbins: Rob Hennigan said the deal Philly offered to NOLA wasn't on the table for the Magic. Twitter

New Orleans Pelicans, Orlando Magic, Trade, Jrue Holiday, Rob Hennigan  |  share 

Read more at http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#leeIutVDcLJkFx3C.99

-------------------------------------------------------------

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 05:17:11 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
Could we trade Rondo to Orlando for Nicholson and an unprotected #1? Turkoglu have to be included?

They seemed to be interested in the Philly deal:

---------------------------------------------------

Josh Robbins: Rob Hennigan said the deal Philly offered to NOLA wasn't on the table for the Magic. Twitter

New Orleans Pelicans, Orlando Magic, Trade, Jrue Holiday, Rob Hennigan  |  share 

Read more at http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#leeIutVDcLJkFx3C.99

-------------------------------------------------------------
might work. I think I might want Oladipo or Harris instead of Nicholson, though Nicholson isn't bad.

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 05:19:09 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
I would love Oladipo, but I doubt they go for it.  I would take back whichver young player they would give if it meant an unprotected 2014 pick.

I bet they would love to build around a Rondo/Oladipo backcourt.  Heck, maybe even Dwight Howard would sign with them!

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 05:19:17 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Holy crap I'd do a Rondo to orlando for an unprotected 2014 in a second. That'd for sure be a top 5 pick.

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2013, 05:20:24 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
To borrow a phrase from other Celticsbloggers, "Meh" on Nerlins Noel.

Heal Rondo up this year, let Jeff blossom, go full bore after the Wiggins lotto in 2014/2015.

Rondo
Green
2014 lotto pick & 2014 late 1st rounder
Sully
Avery
Kelly / Iverson / Melo
Wallace
Lee
twill

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2013, 05:21:02 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
Holy crap I'd do a Rondo to orlando for an unprotected 2014 in a second. That'd for sure be a top 5 pick.
not necessarily, especially if Rondo is there and playing most of the year.

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2013, 05:22:32 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Wow... when it was first reported it said Philly sent out Holiday and a 2014... but it was the other way around:

The New Orleans Pelicans traded center Nerlens Noel and a 2014 protected first-round pick to the Philadelphia 76ers for point guard Jrue Holiday, league sources told ESPN.com.

WOW... Seriously?  Wow.   I know Holiday has more trade value than Rondo, but that's insane... the best player in the draft + a 2014 for a 23 year old PG.  As Noel was slipping I was like, "Trade Rondo and the #16 for him!! trade Rondo and the #16 for him!!"... and yet Holiday fetches Noel AND a 2014 pick from the Pelicans?  Holy crap.  DEFINITELY trade rondo if he has anywhere NEAR the kind of trade value that Holiday has.

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2013, 05:33:57 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Wow... when it was first reported it said Philly sent out Holiday and a 2014... but it was the other way around:

The New Orleans Pelicans traded center Nerlens Noel and a 2014 protected first-round pick to the Philadelphia 76ers for point guard Jrue Holiday, league sources told ESPN.com.

WOW... Seriously?  Wow.   I know Holiday has more trade value than Rondo, but that's insane... the best player in the draft + a 2014 for a 23 year old PG.  As Noel was slipping I was like, "Trade Rondo and the #16 for him!! trade Rondo and the #16 for him!!"... and yet Holiday fetches Noel AND a 2014 pick from the Pelicans?  Holy crap.  DEFINITELY trade rondo if he has anywhere NEAR the kind of trade value that Holiday has.

You should probably consider what your hoping we could trade Rondo *and a draft pick* for a prospect that couldn't even fetch a lesser point guard without a pick in a loaded draft thrown in says about your knowledge of trade values.

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2013, 05:39:37 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

You should probably consider what your hoping we could trade Rondo *and a draft pick* for a prospect that couldn't even fetch a lesser point guard without a pick in a loaded draft thrown in says about your knowledge of trade values.

Yep, I don't trust this guys player evaluation, whatsoever.

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2013, 06:33:55 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I don't think anyone is trading an unprotected 2014 lottery unless you give them enough value that they would still do the deal if they knew they would end up with the #2 pick.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2013, 06:51:04 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Yep, I don't trust this guys player evaluation, whatsoever.

Why?  Rondo doesn't have have as much trade value as a 23 year old allstar point guard WITHOUT a torn ACL.

I fail to see how I'm wrong.  Rondo has baggage, is 4 years older, is still recovering from a torn ACL, has major flaws in his offensive game and a frequently reported attitude problem. 

Still, I'm shocked that they were able to get Noel AND a 2014 pick for Holiday.  Makes me think that Rondo + the #16 probably could have gotten us Noel.