Author Topic: Oh where in the world can we send Gerald Wallace?  (Read 2868 times)

Oh where in the world can we send Gerald Wallace?
« on: June 28, 2013, 12:11:42 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
I know, we are likely stuck with him at least for next season, but is there any possible trading partner out there?

Possibly exchanging contracts with a player who has 1 less year?

Gerald Wallace for Andre Bargnani?
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

Re: Oh where in the world can we send Gerald Wallace?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 12:13:10 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
let rondo make him look good then flip him, like perk and every other player rondo made look good offensively.

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 12:15:00 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Nowhere.

We won't be good for at least 3 years anyways, so why bother?  Either trade his expiring salary in 2 seasons, or let it expire for cap room.

Also, he will bring energy and intensity to the team over those years that will be good for the younger players.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 12:17:48 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 656
  • MASTER OF PANIC
We are stuck with that dog. He is 31 going on 60. I see no redeeming qualities in his game. making 10 mil a year to average 7 points.  SMH

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 12:27:12 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 350
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
I know, we are likely stuck with him at least for next season, but is there any possible trading partner out there?

Possibly exchanging contracts with a player who has 1 less year?

Gerald Wallace for Andre Bargnani?

The Raptors have basically begged the whole league to take Bargnani off their hands, but even they would say no to that deal. That's how bad Wallace's contract is.

We'd probably have to trade at least two 1st rounders along with Wallace to another rebuilding team if we're going to unload him, and that would be counterproductive.

We're stuck with Wallace unless we waive him. Apparently he has a stretch provision, which means for his remaining $30M, we pay him over a span of 7 years rather than approximately $10M over 3. By my math, $30M over 7 years equates to $4.28M per year, which means that we'd save about $5.72M each year towards the cap space. But keep in mind that in the last 4 years of those 7 years, we'd be paying an extra $5.72M each year.

In the end, it comes down to that. Is it worth waiving him? We surely can't trade him, unless Ainge pulls out something crazy once again. And I can't count that out; trading is by far Ainge's greatest strength as a GM.

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 12:29:41 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
Just get him to drink from the fountain of youth / deer antler spray and have him show young Terrence Williams how to leverage his athletic tools into a major role.

Wallace isn't that far removed from being a really good player. It's not like he's Kobe getting $29 Million to rehab this season.

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 12:30:50 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
let rondo make him look good then flip him, like perk and every other player rondo made look good offensively.

Right.  Wallace would need to come in and look like the Wallace of 3 years ago to be able to dump without giving up more value. 

Now, that is not out of the realm of possibility.  But I don't think we should count on it.  He is the Raef Lafrentz of this deal.

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 12:48:36 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I would do anything it takes to ship him out hopefully for some type of expiring. We have stock piled so many picks...Send him to a team like the Pistons who have cap room to spare and can still sign another free agent.

Wallace and a first rounder for Stuckey's expiring.

Anyway we can shed those three years we have to try.

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2013, 12:53:46 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

Right.  Wallace would need to come in and look like the Wallace of 3 years ago to be able to dump without giving up more value. 

Now, that is not out of the realm of possibility.  But I don't think we should count on it.  He is the Raef Lafrentz of this deal.

Even then.... who is going to take him? I think it's almost literally impossible that he's traded between now and the trading deadline of the 2014-2015 season, when his deal will near the expiring phase.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2013, 12:54:48 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 656
  • MASTER OF PANIC
wallace is here for the next 3 years.

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2013, 12:56:44 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Somewhere ideally for a 1st. Even a couple of 2nds are ok.

But likely you might not get anyone who will bite. Celts can use this new provision to waive his contract, and save 6 million a year. And to me you got to do that worse case.

But maybe danny doesnt do nothing and keeps the vet as a backup until his contract expires

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2013, 12:56:51 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 350
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
Just get him to drink from the fountain of youth / deer antler spray and have him show young Terrence Williams how to leverage his athletic tools into a major role.

Wallace isn't that far removed from being a really good player. It's not like he's Kobe getting $29 Million to rehab this season.

Wallace's entire game was based off a non-stop motor and sheer athleticism. His nickname was "Crash" for a reason.

Unless Boston somehow steals away Phoenix's miracle medical staff, Wallace demonstrated last year that father time has caught up to him. This isn't a simple issue of a player needing a new environment for a fresh start. Wallace is over the hill, and that's that.

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2013, 01:29:39 PM »

Offline DoverCeltic

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 1
I imagine someone will want a veteran SF (Sac?) eventually if they think they can make a playoff run and we can take a bad contract (hopefully shorter) off their hands as well

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2013, 01:36:42 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

At least he has two fewer years than Raef did.

I honestly see us giving big minutes to Gerald and him having a very solid year. I guess I might sound too optimistic, but he was really discouraged last year and didn't have the freedom he normally had. It's not like he has had a slow decline, or anything, just one bad year and I think he can still play premier defense and easily put up 12-13 ppg (he did this in the playoffs THIS year). After next season, I think he will be more palatable to another team, even a contending team willing to give up a late first for him.

Yep, I really do think we are going to love the way Gerald plays (even though his contract is pretty bad).

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2013, 01:38:54 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Onto the court for 82 games this year.

The more he plays, the more ping pong balls assigned to us.
CELTICS 2024