Author Topic: Jeremiah Rivers (Doc's son) goes OFF on Bill Simmons on Twitter  (Read 14797 times)

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 221
I don't know if any of you caught the little sparring of words between Doc and Bill, but here's the summary:

Bill said Doc quit on the C's. An ESPN broadcaster was talking to Doc about the Clippers and mentioned Bill's comment and Doc responds "I would call him an idiot, but I'm too classy." Then Bill goes on his tangent after hearing Doc.

Jeremiah didn't take to kindly:

@BillSimmons @espn My father has never quit anything in his life. He now has an NBA Championship, and helped in rejuvenating the Celtics.

@BillSimmons @espn That’s why he is 3rd winningest coach in Celtics history. Those are just credentials, but you already know this.

@BillSimmons @espn Your the same guy who was trying to run my dad out of town when it seemed like the Celtics were down and out.

@BillSimmons @espn Then you praised him like GOD himself when he helped turn things around. Where is your loyalty.

@BillSimmons @espn You know nothing about winning, about sacrifice, and being a champion. You sit behind a desk and pick on people.

@BillSimmons @espn .You are a Internet bully. There is a reason nobody will side with you. They like my dad better than you.

@BillSimmons @espn Magic, Wilbon, Shaq, Ernie, etc… They know my father and they know about being a professional at the highest LEVEL.

@BillSimmons @espn If you don’t have all the facts, which you clearly DON’T, I suggest you sit down and shut up. Good day sir.

Re: Jeremiah Rivers (Doc's son) goes OFF on Bill Simmons on Twitter
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 08:33:34 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Meh, I think Bill is right.  I don't know how you can spin it any other way.

Whether he was just saying the company line or not, Doc said words to the effect that he was willing to go through a rebuild and that he wanted to stick around on the Celtics like other long-tenured coaches (Sloan, Popovich).

Then he left town and admitted that he is only interested in coaching if he has a chance to win a title.

That sure sounds like jumping ship as soon as the waters get rough -- i.e. quitting.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 08:45:52 AM »

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 221

Whether he was just saying the company line or not, Doc said words to the effect that he was willing to go through a rebuild and that he wanted to stick around on the Celtics like other long-tenured coaches (Sloan, Popovich).

Then he left town and admitted that he is only interested in coaching if he has a chance to win a title.

That sure sounds like jumping ship as soon as the waters get rough -- i.e. quitting.

Yep..and Jeremiah better be glad that Doc is SOOO well liked by the media because if it was another coach they'd be ripping him right now.

Doc knew Danny was going to trade KG and PP and didn't want to have any part of that.

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 08:48:57 AM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550
I don't know if any of you caught the little sparring of words between Doc and Bill, but here's the summary:

Bill said Doc quit on the C's. An ESPN broadcaster was talking to Doc about the Clippers and mentioned Bill's comment and Doc responds "I would call him an idiot, but I'm too classy." Then Bill goes on his tangent after hearing Doc.

Jeremiah didn't take to kindly:

@BillSimmons @espn My father has never quit anything in his life. He now has an NBA Championship, and helped in rejuvenating the Celtics.

@BillSimmons @espn That’s why he is 3rd winningest coach in Celtics history. Those are just credentials, but you already know this.

@BillSimmons @espn Your the same guy who was trying to run my dad out of town when it seemed like the Celtics were down and out.

@BillSimmons @espn Then you praised him like GOD himself when he helped turn things around. Where is your loyalty.

@BillSimmons @espn You know nothing about winning, about sacrifice, and being a champion. You sit behind a desk and pick on people.

@BillSimmons @espn .You are a Internet bully. There is a reason nobody will side with you. They like my dad better than you.

@BillSimmons @espn Magic, Wilbon, Shaq, Ernie, etc… They know my father and they know about being a professional at the highest LEVEL.

@BillSimmons @espn If you don’t have all the facts, which you clearly DON’T, I suggest you sit down and shut up. Good day sir.

ole jeremiah is definitely butthurt. truth hurts kid.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 08:49:12 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
I know Jeremiah Rivers is just standing up for his dad, but I think it would be funny if Simmons battled back.  Because really who is Jeremiah Rivers?  The guy who quit Georgetown?  The unsuccessful son/brother of Doc and Austin?  And what exactly does Jeremiah know about winning?  And since he clearly he has all the facts, why don't you tell us all the fact's we're missing?

Not that I think Simmons would have a flame war with the guy, but it would be interesting.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 09:09:17 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
Yeah I mean you can sugar coat it but doc did quit on the Cs.

You can be mad at him, agree with him, think he's right or wrong but it appears to be pretty factual.

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 09:18:51 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Good for Jeremiah Rivers.'
I know Doc quit on the Celtics, but I don't like how TV commentators, by they sports, politics or otherwise, can basically make accusations without any repercussions.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 09:45:13 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

Yep..and Jeremiah better be glad that Doc is SOOO well liked by the media because if it was another coach they'd be ripping him right now.

Doc knew Danny was going to trade KG and PP and didn't want to have any part of that.

quitter in my books...I may sound like a hypocrite but I am treating this differently with the KG/PP trade.

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2013, 09:47:42 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Good for Jeremiah Rivers.'
I know Doc quit on the Celtics, but I don't like how TV commentators, by they sports, politics or otherwise, can basically make accusations without any repercussions.

I agree with this.

I also agree with Simmons.

A dialog is only a dialog if both parties are talking.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2013, 09:48:54 AM »

Offline RyNye

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 97
Jeremiah is also blatantly lying. Bill Simmons never praised Doc like God; he has been nothing but critical of Doc for most of his Celtics tenure. He has said multiple times on his podcast that he didn't think Doc became a decent coach until 2010, and that before that he was a poor coach.

Jeremiah is just an idiot.

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2013, 10:12:39 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
@BillSimmons 1m
When I get home I'm signing up my 5 and a half year old son for Twitter so he can defend me against Doc Rivers' kids.

;D
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2013, 10:32:30 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Bill Simmons ruined draft night.  He's a tool that forces others to laugh at his jokes to avoid discomfort.  He's the next version of the bald guy (jim gray?) who confronted Pete Rose accept more aggressive and less passive aggressive.  He can't make a joke without blatantly offending someone. 

ESPN draft intro and theme does this silly music with Magic Johnson voiceover talking about stardom...I found it condescending to the athletes cheesy marketing (not Magic's fault).

But it was better than Bill Simmons, who does the complete opposite and completely mocks Mason Plumlee before his Battier interview on what is in fact a special moment for these players. 

Give me a real humorist next year ESPN.  He ruined the draft for me with a re-hashed and co-opted humor style that falls apart without cutting people up.  Bill Simmons is B.S.

Also If you think the Celtic brass wanted to keep Doc and his salary for the rebuild, then you're fooling yourselves...

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2013, 10:33:11 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Yeah, Simmons is a punk but he was right.

And the entire Rivers family combined is unarmed for a battle of wits against Simmons.

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2013, 10:36:53 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Yeah, Simmons is a punk but he was right.

And the entire Rivers family combined is unarmed for a battle of wits against Simmons.
It seems the entire Rivers family felt they were making a collective sacrifice every year when he decided to return to the team. Which is hilarious.

I loved Doc's tenure, but this is one aspect of it I'm not going to miss.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2013, 10:38:26 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Definitely with Simmons here. Rivers going way overboard with that twittisphere stuff to grab attention. Desperate.

Also, Simmons was great on draft night. He saved what would have a terribly unentertaining evening.