Author Topic: A thorough ANALYSIS and career projection of Kelly Olynyk  (Read 11917 times)

Re: A thorough ANALYSIS and career projection of Kelly Olynyk
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2013, 09:57:31 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I think there is a major disconnect in who the celtic fans think the Celtics needed vs what Olynyk brings to the table for the team.

Celtic fans: We want an athletic, defensive monster , that is different than "ugly body" Sully. We are tired of small ball and getting taken advantage of in the inside. Basically someone that is like KG or resembles his game

Problem: The draft , didn't present the celtics with much choices to what the celtic fans wanted and i'm sure danny wouldn't mind having. He did mention Adams was also highly considered, and when he was gone at 12, they wanted to secure Olynyk next. Some fans are devastated that Dieng was passed on instead bc he also fits the "description" of that athletic defensive presence. But if you think about it and analyzed his stats, you would see a guy who was not a huge part of the reason why Louisville was so good.  He had some good games and some bad ones. Watching clips his 18 ft jumpers is impressive but on avg only took 1 or 2 in games. He just isn't all that good offensively.  So while you can say his defense is a 8, his offense is like a 6. Vs Olynyk whose offense is a 10 and defense is a 6.5 (basically can hold the ground on the person he covers but can't save his teammates).

Using these metrics, Olynyk scores higher and will bring a unique adv with him into the nba. Dieng while good defensively is no Anthony Davis or Noel. 

So what olynyk brings to the table: A guy that is really nothing like KG. But perhaps more like a Dino Radja but with more potential. Radja i remember was a fine celtic, until he got injured. He was a consistent scoring pf, smart, grabbed his share of rebounds, clogged the middle and played on a brutal celtics team from 94 to 96. At one pt he certainly was the celts best player and its too bad he didn't have a better supporting cast. Olynyk on the other hand even though is on a rebuilding squad , has lots of talent around him. He was the top player from Gonzaga last year and it will be interesting to see what else he can do being surrounded by even better talent.

So again, Danny got the best talent available, and certainly met one big need now the celts have which is lack of scoring. If Olynyk and Sully can't cut it defensively, than you have the choice to keep one guy or have one guy coming off the bench and make a trade or draft a "special" defensive player later. Rebuilding is never pleasent but i like the direction our young team is headed in.

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2013, 10:06:10 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
As a result, some comparisons are better than others. Similarity is rated on a scale that maxes out at 100. A similarity score of 95 or higher is a good match, and anything below 90 is a bit of a stretch. Keep that in mind as I go through the top four comps for the players with projections in Chad Ford's top 30.

18. Kelly Olynyk, Gonzaga
Comparisons: Markieff Morris (96.8), Jordan Hill, Darnell Jackson, Jeff Pendergraph

Morris makes sense for Olynyk as a pick-and-pop post player who has spent more time on the perimeter than in the paint as a pro.

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2013, 02:06:52 PM »

Offline MaxAMillion

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 16
I think there is a major disconnect in who the celtic fans think the Celtics needed vs what Olynyk brings to the table for the team.

Celtic fans: We want an athletic, defensive monster , that is different than "ugly body" Sully. We are tired of small ball and getting taken advantage of in the inside. Basically someone that is like KG or resembles his game

A lot of Celtic fans didn't think you had to pigeon hole yourself into drafting a big man at pick 13. The idea should have been to take the best player available. We will see if delusional Danny did that (I doubt it).

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2013, 02:13:20 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Problem: The draft , didn't present the celtics with much choices to what the celtic fans wanted and i'm sure danny wouldn't mind having. He did mention Adams was also highly considered, and when he was gone at 12, they wanted to secure Olynyk next. Some fans are devastated that Dieng was passed on instead bc he also fits the "description" of that athletic defensive presence. But if you think about it and analyzed his stats, you would see a guy who was not a huge part of the reason why Louisville was so good.  He had some good games and some bad ones. Watching clips his 18 ft jumpers is impressive but on avg only took 1 or 2 in games. He just isn't all that good offensively.  So while you can say his defense is a 8, his offense is like a 6. Vs Olynyk whose offense is a 10 and defense is a 6.5 (basically can hold the ground on the person he covers but can't save his teammates).

Using these metrics, Olynyk scores higher and will bring a unique adv with him into the nba. Dieng while good defensively is no Anthony Davis or Noel. 

So what olynyk brings to the table: A guy that is really nothing like KG. But perhaps more like a Dino Radja but with more potential. Radja i remember was a fine celtic, until he got injured. He was a consistent scoring pf, smart, grabbed his share of rebounds, clogged the middle and played on a brutal celtics team from 94 to 96. At one pt he certainly was the celts best player and its too bad he didn't have a better supporting cast. Olynyk on the other hand even though is on a rebuilding squad , has lots of talent around him. He was the top player from Gonzaga last year and it will be interesting to see what else he can do being surrounded by even better talent.

So again, Danny got the best talent available, and certainly met one big need now the celts have which is lack of scoring. If Olynyk and Sully can't cut it defensively, than you have the choice to keep one guy or have one guy coming off the bench and make a trade or draft a "special" defensive player later. Rebuilding is never pleasent but i like the direction our young team is headed in.

Yup.

Danny took the best talent available.  A seven foot dude who dominated college hoops is going to find a role in this league.  At #13 in this draft getting a talent like Olynyk is great.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2013, 02:27:28 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
Loved the pick by Danny.

I think he's a bit like Sully, except bigger & not as good at rebounding.  His offensive game outside and around the rim might actually be better than Sully's, & Sully is strong there.

Good pick, & should be nice fit on any team.  Hard worker as well so again, we must wait on judging this guy until about 3 years down the road.  Like Sully, his defense will need work.

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2013, 02:29:15 PM »

Online Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Its funny how people criticize him because he's not an athletic defensive guy.

Same was said about Sully. Something to be said about high IQ guys. They figure it out faster.

Right now which would you rather have start the season. The athletic defensive low IQ Melo. Or the High IQ, good shooting, Olynk? 

And don't say neither, or Howard or Cousins. I'd think that would be obvious...

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2013, 02:39:18 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Yup.

Danny took the best talent available.  A seven foot dude who dominated college hoops is going to find a role in this league.  At #13 in this draft getting a talent like Olynyk is great.
Yeah, I heard the same things about Adam Morrison who was from Gonzaga and a much better college player than Olynyk

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2013, 02:43:09 PM »

Online SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2003
I'm definitely warming up to the pick.  He has more pure basketball skill than any of the bigs picked before him.

The main thing that concerns me is the lack of defensive speed and length of our frontcourt with a Sully + Olynyk combo (although Danny drafted Olynyk with the mindset that he's a PF).  Not enough quality pick and roll coverage, not enough rim protection.  We'll see.

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2013, 02:49:45 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Yup.

Yeah, I heard the same things about Adam Morrison who was from Gonzaga and a much better college player than Olynyk

Replace, "his athleticism might be a problem with guarding opposing forwards and getting off his shot" with "his athleticism might be a problem with guarding opposing bigs and rebounding".

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2013, 06:28:54 PM »

Offline JJones1090

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 12
I think it's ridiculous that players are considered to have diminished "potential" based on athleticism (aka lateral foot movement and leaping ability). I agree that Olynyk is not the most "athletic." He also doesn't have the biggest frame I've seen.

That being said, he made great strides in improving his game between his second and third year at Gonzaga. He added weight, and his stat increase is crazy. He got serious, and he learned what it takes. I would never jump the gun and call the kid a future all-star...but what if we can't fathom his best yet?

To me, any kid that gets drafted is a careers-worth of hard work away from having their number retired, hanging a banner from our rafters, being the greatest player on the court.  A thousand squats, ten thousand box jumps and twenty lbs from now he might make us laugh about the day we thought he'd just be a complimentary player.

This is all conjecture, of course. He might be a solid role player. He might be way better than we think. I'm excited for the future. But to be sure, I've seen kids add 8 inches to their vertical and become great defenders even at 23.

« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2013, 07:16:07 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Never can tell...might be a total flop ......and Fab Melo might come on like crazy ....

its alot mental, does a person have the drive and desire

I would have never though Kevin Love or Parsons would have been as good as they are.

Look at Portland's Aldridge ....he rebuild his body , work ethic and developed himself into a nice player

Kelly has arrived , made it to the show.......now see if he can make something of himself......

I think he needs to do a Aldridge and go into a massive training program to bulk up his muscle and gain a attitude.

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2013, 07:16:57 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Yup.

Meh.  Morrison's lack of athleticism was a much bigger problem since he was a wing.

A seven footer who can shoot threes is going to have some real value in this league as long as he can hit a good percentage.

Worst case scenario we got a rich man's Matt Bonner with the #13 pick.  Best case scenario we got a 7 foot Ryan Anderson.

In this draft, I'm fine with that.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2013, 07:19:24 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

You also didnt like sully last year didnt you?

Morrison had little chance to be a regular rotation guy in the nba. Maybe a specialist three pt guy in the mold of kyle korver, mike miller but not what was expected of him.  Miracles ran out for him in the nba. Defense vs nba pfs is one thing but vs sfs is another. Just so much quicker and most can shoot the ball.

If olynyk was only 6'9-6-10 i be the first one to say he would b a bad pick. But at 7ft and his skillset, he posseses some nice adv than many nba pfs. Most are only about 6'9-6-10 and the taller ones are not that quick nor skilled

« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2013, 07:20:21 PM »

Offline ForexPirate

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 19
does anyone think that Kelly could play the three and Green could slide down to the 2?  I see Kelly as a facilitator type of point forward with an excellent shot.

Rondo
Green
Olynyk
Sullinger
big rebounding center - Iverson? - FA

We would certainly field a very big team ... for a change ...

« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2013, 07:28:04 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
does anyone think that Kelly could play the three and Green could slide down to the 2?  I see Kelly as a facilitator type of point forward with an excellent shot.

Rondo
Green
Olynyk
Sullinger
big rebounding center - Iverson? - FA

We would certainly field a very big team ... for a change ...

Not likely, unless he gets nowitzki quick at least. But if gets too skinny, he wont b able to play in the post much at all.

Id leave him as a stretch 4. I see olynyk as another brad miller. Liked brad millers game alot when he was in the nba